Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:49 pm 

Hong Kong University scientists have reported the case of an apparently young, healthy patient being re-infected with Covid-19, four-and-a-half months after the first infection.

Using genome sequencing, they discovered that the second bout or virus was “clearly different” from the first infection rather than just a continuation or re-emergence of the original one.

Scientists know that people infected by coronavirus develop an immune response as their bodies fight off the virus, and this helps to protect them against it returning. But it is not clear how strong this protection is or how long it lasts.

If people can catch the virus more than once, then a vaccine may be required to protect many more people - although those who are most seriously ill have a greater immune response than those with mild symptoms.

Other coronaviruses, such as the common cold, do re-infect people so it’s not surprising that Sars-CoV-2 – the virus which causes Covid-19 – could do the same.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-53886479

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Of course it doesn't negate it. It was a different virus and comes into the st*t happens category, which for an illness is unfortunate, but if its the lottery its welcome.

The extension of the mask wearing and other measures until Jan 2021 is also in my opinion absolute codswallop and wholly unnecessary. Why have a fixed date at the onset of the normal flu season.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:40 pm 
Top of the pops

I am glad that the mask wearing has been made mandatory until mid January alongside other measures here in Cyprus...well done Cyprus ...flu season starts in September /October ...which is why we all have our flu jabs then...will Cyprus.... mid January lengthen that date for measures to carry on? Who knows , we will though all find out mid January

Getting a mixture of covid 2 and flu at the same time, is not a good thing for anyone

On the getting the virus twice...it is interesting ...as same covid 19 virus
But in a different format ...so is the virus mutating?
Or after you have had it once does it then mutate?

The T cells should have recognized the virus

This virus has behaved differently than other virus,s throughout

Strange but true

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body