It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:33 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:30 am 

The European Commission has approved a €12 million voucher scheme for Cyprus, aiming to help households gain access to faster internet.

According to the commission, the scheme will benefit approximately 82,000 households and “is necessary to address a market failure, namely the slow take-up of eligible broadband services by households in Cyprus.”

Help will be available in the form of vouchers to households not having a subscription to a connection providing at least 100 megabits per second (Mbps) download speed. The scheme will cover part of the set-up costs and the first 12 months of subscription to broadband services providing at least 200 Mbps download speeds.

The scheme will run until June 30, 2025. All broadband service providers capable of providing the required services will be eligible under the measure.

“Even though networks able to provide high-speed broadband services are widely available in Cyprus and despite households’ growing needs for performant connectivity, data shows that the take-up of such services by Cypriot households continues to be relatively low,” the EU Commission said.

The aim is to offer an “incentive effect, since connectivity and access to broadband services would not be facilitated to the same extent in the absence of public support.”

An announcement by the commission specified the scheme has sufficient safeguards to ensure that undue distortions of competition are limited and that the aid does not have undue negative effects on competition and trade.

“Cyprus carried out a market assessment and a public consultation that show that the design of the measure prevents conferring a disproportionate advantage on one or more specific service providers to the detriment of others, also in the light of the wholesale access obligations provided by the relevant national regulation,” it said.

Funding will be made available in part through the Recovery and Resilience Facility, following the Commission’s positive assessment of the Cypriot Recovery and Resilience Plan and its adoption by the Council.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:54 am 
Top of the pops

What a waste of money again. Another way of dragging in as many of a population as possible and then being able to control a narrative by information flow.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:49 pm 
Rock Star

Speaking as one of those who cannot get anywhere close to 100Mb, this really is good news. Thankfully I am not a conspiracy theorist, so I will be more than happy to accept a voucher.

At least the EU is trying to help people stay ahead in the internet race.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:59 pm 
Rock Star

Well our Cyta broadband , we paid for 20 and got 8 to 10 and it had become slow in terms of much buffering . Cyta phoned us and said we were going fibre optic with download speeds up 200 ! For no extra cost , a technician would call us to arrange the install. So it has been installed now we get less buffering and download of about 30 to 35, what did jump was upload , form less than 1 upto about 30 , ? Not much use , we dont upload much ! But ! It is better and was for free ! Maybe if we had state of the art latest equipment it would show more improvement . In terms of 5g my phone only has 2g so makes no difference, just massive ugly things stuffed on top of hotels. Im not into smart homes that you can control on your smart phone fron the other side of the world , i see no point ! Our fridge has a usb socket to plug in a wifi dongle , doh !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:09 pm 
Junior

Never hear much of Digby now days does he still look after the Internet out in Paphos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:45 am 
Master

That €12 million along with other amounts that have been spent by the EU over the years could have been used for far more worthy causes which would have a direct benefit on the standard of living for EU citizens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:07 pm 
Rock Star

Well Alexis i believe the good of the people is secondary, monitoring and control is what is most important to those that rule !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:57 pm 
Top of the pops

This will simply mean it is easier to implement and force the use of cbdc.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:08 pm 
Regular

TREBOR50 wrote:
Never hear much of Digby now days does he still look after the Internet out in Paphos

Hi,

Yes am still here, but do not post very often. I have been doing more fiber installs these days and less wireless as the interference over wireless is a problem especially with older equipment.

Full fiber will be available in Tala and Peyia in the next 6 months, so up to 1GBPS will be available. It may be a good idea to start booking early next year as we already have a waiting list for Trimithousa, Tala and Peyia.

Wishing everyone a happy new year.

Regards

Digby

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body