Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:43 am 
Top of the pops

Having just returned from a short visit overseas it once again smack me right in the face just how much disrespect residents and visitors to the Island have and just how dirty the Island has become.

There really needs to be a change in mindset by both residents, visitors and administrators towards not just the collection and recycling but to the social and family responsibility for looking after ones own waste.

I have been back only a couple of days and seen all sizes of bags wrappers and junk thrown from cars, roadsides and fields are full of debris slowly killing the environment. The towns really are filthy when you just take the opportunity to stop and look about you.

Yes the environment suffers initially but I believe its actually the mentality of the individual that really suffers long term.

We have a fantastic Island in so many ways and we treat it with zero respect.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 am 
Master

whilst waiting for a taxi to pick us up in Peyia on Sunday night we saw a man standing/loitering and drinking from a can - when he finished he just threw it away into the bushes and trees = despite there being a massive empty green bin directly opposite him.... thats the mentality of some people today

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 pm 
Top of the pops

You're spot on Tanny. I fly out and into Cyprus three times a year and I'm always struck by firstly, what a truly beautiful island this is, but rapidly following that thought, what a despicable attitude its residents have to that beauty.

The detritus its' population leave all over the island is unbelievable. This is exemplified in the villages where residents leave unspeakable rubbish all over their property - or quite often over their neighbours property and the beauty around them - making a complete tip of the surrounding countryside.

I do believe that the majority of Brits make an effort to dispose of their rubbish appropriately, but the native population of Cypriots simply don't give a toss and dispose of their rubbish over the nearest hill, or even leave it rotting on their land.

Problem is, I have no idea what the answer is :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:03 am 
Junior

You are so right George.
We live on a beautiful estate in Tremithousa where most people keep their houses and grounds emasculate, however we are unfortunate to live next door to Cypriots (who rent the property) and it is a disgrace, he uses his driveway for his business so has scaffolding, ladders tubs of stuff etc which is never tided or cleaned so we have RATS, he also has hunting dogs in a cage plus another dog which never leaves the front patio. The garden is overgrown, just a complete mess!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:12 am 
Junior

That should be Imaculate not emasculate!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 am 
Rock Star

toonarmy9752 wrote:
whilst waiting for a taxi to pick us up in Peyia on Sunday night we saw a man standing/loitering and drinking from a can - when he finished he just threw it away into the bushes and trees = despite there being a massive empty green bin directly opposite him.... thats the mentality of some people today

I think the problem is with a lot more than "...some people..."!
It seems to be nearly all the local populace.
Cyprus is not alone in having this problem. On the BBC this morning was a report about
fly tipping in UK now at epidemic proportions, costing £1billion a year to clean up.
Amos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 pm 
Rock Star

Amos my friend you have got your figures wrong it 1.6Bn not 1Bn which makes it worse, I have in other posts mentioned how bad the Island has become, but Amos is right it is an epidemic world wide and I am ashamed to say the UK are not innocent of this.

The funny thing (not Ha-ha) I was going along the A69 towards Hexham the other day and was about five cars behind a council wagon that had been cleaning up, he was clogging it and the litter was coming out of the back where they had not secured the back door, at that point will the last one out switch off the lights..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:37 am 
Rock Star

lowvoltage wrote:
Amos my friend you have got your figures wrong it 1.6Bn not 1Bn which makes it worse, I have in other posts mentioned how bad the Island has become, but Amos is right it is an epidemic world wide and I am ashamed to say the UK are not innocent of this.

The funny thing (not Ha-ha) I was going along the A69 towards Hexham the other day and was about five cars behind a council wagon that had been cleaning up, he was clogging it and the litter was coming out of the back where they had not secured the back door, at that point will the last one out switch off the lights..

I stand corrected on the figure, it was early and on the radio. As you rightly say it is not just Cyprus or UK, it is a worldwide problem (except for Singapore apparently).
Amos.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body