Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: internet Provider
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:42 am 

As a new member of the forum I am looking for some advice. i've been visiting Pafos for several years and have a small place in the Universal. Now that I am retiring I plan to spend more time in Cyprus and am planning to add a few creature comforts to my house. One of my first tasks is to get a reliable internet connection, which will support the TV connection. As i understand it there are 3 main (landline) providers Cyta, MTN and PrimeTel. I would be interested in hearing any pros or cons with these suppliers. My main concerns are over reliability but I also wonder how quickly it can be installed as I do not yet have a land line.

Last edited by AndrewA on Tue May 23, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: internet Provider
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 am 

Try Digby at Holitec (Forum member) no landline required

http://holitecbroadband.com/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:26 am 
Top of the pops

AndrewA wrote:
As a new member of the forum I am looking for some advice. i've been visiting Pafos for several years and have a small place in the Universal. Now that I am retiring I plan to spend more time in Cyprus and am planning to add a few creature comforts to my house. One of my first tasks is to get a reliable internet connection, which will support the TV connection. As i understand it there are 3 main (landline) providers Cyta, MTM and PrimeTel. I would be interested in hearing any pros or cons with these suppliers. My main concerns are over reliability but I also wonder how whickly it can be installed as I do not yet have a land line.

It is MTN (not MTM).
Anyway from my experience CYTA is the best bet and will install a fixed line pretty quickly.
You can have it Broadband only cheaper than Broadband+Phone.
For TV streaming you need 8 Mb; we pay €39.63 per month to CYTA for this..
Bear in mind that all international data circuits from Cyprus are controlled by CYTA, so whichever provider you go for uses those links for overseas internet connexions.
You have to pay a deposit for service, unless you can produce your Title Deeds.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:34 pm 
Top of the pops

[quote="AndrewA"]As a new member of the forum I am looking for some advice. i've been visiting Pafos for several years and have a small place in the Universal. Now that I am retiring I plan to spend more time in Cyprus and am planning to add a few creature comforts to my house. One of my first tasks is to get a reliable internet connection, which will support the TV connection. As i understand it there are 3 main (landline) providers Cyta, MTN and PrimeTel. I would be interested in hearing any pros or cons with these suppliers. My main concerns are over reliability but I also wonder how quickly it can be installed as I do not yet have a land line.

I haven't used this service, I called into their shop this morning and got a leaflet and their web address.
http://www.yesnet.com.cy/

He works in co-ordination with Computer SOS also in Chlorakas.

http://www.computersoscyprus.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:50 pm 
Major

Hi Andy,

It does depend on how long you will be staying in Paphos, we spend 4 months a year so we have CYTA, with them you have to have a landline so its 43 euro a month for 8mb broadband and the landline, you have to pay a minimum of 6 months a year and it costs to turn it off and on, about 5 euro a time.

Our daughter who visits much less frequently uses CYTEL, they supply broadband only to a dish, they charge her 200 euro a year on a fair usage policy that it does not get used more than 183 days a year.

She has been with them for over 2 years and is very happy with the service.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Gary.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:40 pm 

If your place is in Universal, Do Not Go Wireless for your internet, I have used 3 different suppliers in 6 years and they all promise the world, But for Tv ALL have been bloody useless.
I think Holitec have now pullled out of Universal, its a mess on here with so many companies blasting the airwaves, go wired Im just about to go to cyta, after my neighbour telling me for years its the only way to go.

As I said they All promise the earth, but Ive watched my last football match with it starting and buffering like hell for the whole game , its Ok for surfing the net, but no good for tv watching.
:taz :taz :taz
Al

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:17 am 
Major

Glang3000 wrote:
...we have CYTA, with them you have to have a landline so its 43 euro a month for 8mb broadband and the landline...

As Geoff has already correctly stated, you don't need a landline with Cyta.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:46 pm 
Junior

We have tried "bluenet" and they also promise a lot but deliver a very patchy service. Lots of buffering and down time and if you manage to get through on the phone its always " switch off and try again".

Just changed to Cyta, on 8mgs internet only, so far so good and slightly cheaper than Bluenet.

Terry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 am 

Thanks for all the useful advice. I am arranging for a landline from Cyta and will get ComputerSOS to sort out my TV needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:24 pm 
Top of the pops

AndrewA wrote:
Thanks for all the useful advice. I am arranging for a landline from Cyta and will get ComputerSOS to sort out my TV needs.

Good move.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 am 
Rock Star

Quote:

AndrewA, there are other means of getting cheaper/reliable TV in Cyprus at less cost than the system being sold by ComputerSOS - do some research & don't get conned!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 pm 

Any suggestions appreciated TG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:52 pm 
Regular

Hi,

With regards to TV, I am making a special offer to PP members - the Premium package from http://www.uktv.media for 6 months at €100, or 12 months at €180 - 300 channels including sky Sports/Movies, 14 days catch-up on many channels, Video Club (Currently over 1800 movies/box sets), UK radio Stations - normally €264.

Valid until 11/7/17 only. Email Myself or Gwen at [email protected] with your box mac address and PP username to confirm you are a member. This offer is not available on the web site.

Neil/Dave if this offer breaches any site rules please delete.

Digby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:01 pm 
Top of the pops

holitec wrote:
Hi,

With regards to TV, I am making a special offer to PP members - the Premium package from http://www.uktv.media for 6 months at €100, or 12 months at €180 - 300 channels including sky Sports/Movies, 14 days catch-up on many channels, Video Club (Currently over 1800 movies/box sets), UK radio Stations - normally €264.

Valid until 11/7/17 only. Email Myself or Gwen at [email protected] with your box mac address and PP username to confirm you are a member. This offer is not available on the web site.

Neil/Dave if this offer breaches any site rules please delete.

Digby

How about becoming a forum website sponsor? (apologies if you already are one.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:47 pm 
Regular

I did think of that. I did provide the webcams for cl and have open feeds to anyone who asks. I did think it may clash with an existing sponsor though, but if Neil makes a good offer I will be happy to subscribe.

Digby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:54 pm 

Geoff

Holitec (Digby) is already a forum member and entitled to make a 'one off' offer to fellow members without being a sponsor.

Digby, you have PM with an offer you can't refuse from me :grin:
Attachment:
Godfather.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:07 am 
Top of the pops

holitec wrote:
I did think of that. I did provide the webcams for cl and have open feeds to anyone who asks. I did think it may clash with an existing sponsor though, but if Neil makes a good offer I will be happy to subscribe.

Digby

Fair enough, no offence intended.
And thanks to M.A.D. for clarification.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:31 am 

We do actually have a 'Members Offers ' section under advertising in the Board Index but since the Holitec offer was part of an existing thread, I am leaving it where it is :pint

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body