Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm 
Forum Admin

The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum !!
the paphos police are now going round all the venues in paphos
telling every owners that they are no longer allowed to have karaoke
or live music in there venues , absolute nuts ! ..
bars have even had equipment removed and confiscated by the police..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:13 pm 

Illegal surely if the establishment is sticking within the noise level regulations.
I would like to see a legal document about this…….mind you, it was probably issued by the Tourist Prevention Department. :doh

Does this mean no more ‘Paphos 2017 Capital of Culture’ events? :huff
No more Opera at the harbour? :tickedoff

Does this include hotels? What about other establishments outside Paphos town but within Paphos district?

Get BJ and the Cyprus Mail on the job :rocky

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 pm 
Some of the people ive heard murdering songs, need locking up. :crylaughin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 pm 
Top of the pops

I must admit that even though I have hearing loss, I have always found the music/karioke always far too loud and so stopped visiting those establishments. My second reason is that they allow smoking whilst there is food being consumed INDOORS. I now hope that the police will also clamp down on this as well.

End of rant, I will close the door behind me :grin:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:22 pm 
Forum Admin

Already spoke with her , she is following it up ..
might just be another silly threat , but you never know ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Perhaps they could ban sunbathing, visiting the beaches, eating out, you know, just to make sure they ruin it for tourists, locals and businesses alike. Then they can throw their hands up and wonder why it all went wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:51 pm 
Rock Star

M.A.D wrote:
Does this include hotels? :rocky

Weren't the hotels behind this some time ago when this arose back then as they were trying to keep their guests in the hotels in the evenings.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 pm 
Forum Admin

Bassman63 wrote:
M.A.D wrote:
Does this include hotels? :rocky

Weren't the hotels behind this some time ago when this arose back then as they were trying to keep their guests in the hotels in the evenings.

I asked the 2 visiting (very polite officers) the same question
they said that hotels have a diffirent license !

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:08 pm 
To get serious, are they nicking them because they do not have an entertainment licence? because I know restaurants/bars need a licence for entertainment, they also need to be given the green light from the fire department etc etc, it could be they are enforcing EU regulations regards safety etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 pm 
Top of the pops

I understood this was only entertainment venues within residential areas!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:57 pm 

DollyDaydream1 wrote:
I understood this was only entertainment venues within residential areas!

A hotel is a residential area :grin: Neil has a hotel less than 2oo yards from his place and it's in a residential area, why should they be exempt?

Sounds like they could be shooting themselves in the foot
Attachment:
Ouch.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:48 pm 
Top of the pops

More importantly, is the karaoke still on tonight, I feel like murdering a favourite.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 pm 
Forum Admin

I was told by the police that the order had come from Nicosia
so dont know how far they are going..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:06 pm 
Star

Neil wrote:
I was told by the police that the order had come from Nicosia
so dont know how far they are going..

If its come from Nicosia, its possible that resorts all over the island will be affected.
I cant see it myself, Ayia Nappa will be like a ghost town.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 am 
Rock Star

If this comes about Val & I will be sad because one of the attractions of Paphos for us was the live music venues.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 am 
Rock Star

How pathetic, talk about a police state you are not allowed to have a good night out. Ok I am in my 60's and find some music a bit off the wall, I have listened to some very good music and will miss that. I live in the Sea caves & Peyia area, I often go to the Brewery and listen to great music, will that be banned as that is near a residential area, if so they will go out of business.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm 
Forum Admin

Quote:
Get BJ and the Cyprus Mail on the job
:rocky

Ah ! the power of the press , watch this space...

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:46 pm 
Regular

Seems to be bit of a government crackdown on bars in general these days and lots of bar owners are having to pay for all sorts of alterations just to get to get their ordinary licences renewed. I can only assume this is part of that process?

Banning music and karaoke altogether would of course be a ridiculous move, but making establishments pay for an entertainment licence to hold it is the way of the world these days

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:47 pm 
Forum Admin

Ilex wrote:
Seems to be bit of a government crackdown on bars in general these days and lots of bar owners are having to pay for all sorts of alterations just to get to get their ordinary licences renewed. I can only assume this is part of that process?

Banning music and karaoke altogether would of course be a ridiculous move, but making establishments pay for an entertainment licence to hold it is the way of the world these days

the funny thing is .......... the music license is the only one that we dont have to pay for ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:27 pm 
Regular

I know some bars getting hassled for by the PRS for money although how legally enforceable that is I'm not too sure.

Paying for a license that would charge you according to what sort of entertainment you provide (which included the payments to the PRS) would surely simplify the whole process ? In the world of real commerce granting a licence for nothing isn't a very clever piece of thinking :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Many people enjoy music and karaoke but the problem is always the volume. I avoid all venues that have it as it really hurts my ears. If only they could adjust the volume people would not complain which is probably why this has come about.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:47 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:
Many people enjoy music and karaoke but the problem is always the volume. I avoid all venues that have it as it really hurts my ears. If only they could adjust the volume people would not complain which is probably why this has come about.

When I go to a pub I want to be able to talk and hear the conversation. Not have to SHOUT as the Music or Singer is way to loud. Hence we avoid those places with the volumes turned up. :grin:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:53 pm 

Spoke to Jan at www.nitbats.com (Music Cyprus Live Music Listings Paphos Facebook group)

to see if she knew anything. Her reply was:-
"It would appear that some venues do not have the correct music licences which have been newly issued by the Paphos Municipality. They will have to sort this accordingly."

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 pm 
Top of the pops

If a place is playing unacceptable music or entertainment then don't go in. If there is smoking don't go in, if the food rotten dont go in, if its full of teenagers being frivolous don't go in, if its full of pensioners don't go in etc etc.

The essence is that a facility will provide what it deems as suitable entertainment for its capture audience, if you don't like it don't go in or leave.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 pm 
Regular

The music from the Brewery bar in Peyia was often far too loud most especially when it is surrounded by houses. I used to live about 400 metres from the bar and,even with all the windows closed, we could hear every word of each song - not nice when you want to sit outside and listen to your own entertainment or sit inside watching tv and have to have the windows shut even in the height of Summer. There were lots of properties much closer than we were and we often wondered how they coped.How they ever got a license in that area I'll never know.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:46 pm 
Rock Star

Poppytim wrote:
There were lots of properties much closer than we were and we often wondered how they coped.How they ever got a license in that area I'll never know.

Possible that the bars were there before the housing.
Knowing Paphos we make sure that the hotels we stay in are away from the night life.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:52 pm 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
If a place is playing unacceptable music or entertainment then don't go in. If there is smoking don't go in, if the food rotten dont go in, if its full of teenagers being frivolous don't go in, if its full of pensioners don't go in etc etc.

The essence is that a facility will provide what it deems as suitable entertainment for its capture audience, if you don't like it don't go in or leave.

We go to establishments in the evenings in Paphos for the entertainment, that is why we like Paphos, in Turkey, Corfu and Tunisia it was very boring in the evenings, Val and I are night people we always have been way back when I played all through Beatlemania, I still play, again that is why we like Paphos.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 pm 
Star

Its strange how people choose to live near bars etc and then complain about noise

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 am 
Rock Star

Uncle D wrote:
Its strange how people choose to live near bars etc and then complain about noise

I fully agree with you but you get that in the UK when people move close to a working men's club or pub the has regular entertainment and then complain about the noise..

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:46 am 
Forum Admin

it is an issue that needs resolved , yes if you choose to live in the heart of a tourist area
then you must expect noise ., but on the other side , it should be agreed that there be a time frame,
loud music should have a cut off time , lets say midnight for bands and maybe 12.30 for karaoke,
places start around 9.00pm so that gives them a 3.00 hour plus window to put on a show and make some money.
anyone who then chooses to live in the catchment area will be aware that it will be noisey until midnight ,
how venues can pop up in a residentail area and then get a music license is beyond me ..

Also should they want to cut out live music in a certain area, they could inform the venue owners that this area is being faded
out for live music and you will only be given a renewal of your license for the next 2 years, that way you have had plenty of notice
and time to re structure yourself or find another venue in an area that will be granted a music license..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:32 am 
Rock Star

Not often I agree with you Neil, but in this case you are absolutely right, well apart from Karaoke which should be classed as a crime against humanity ;) if you choose to purchase or rent in an area where there are entertainment venues then that is your choice and some noise has to be expected...but as you say provide the necessary regulations are in place to stop abuse then there really cannot be any complaint. If this latest move is purely down to ensure the correct licences are in place and monies being paid then fine, although as you say some kind of "grace" period should be allowed....if it is just clamping down unnecessarily on venues then you have to suspect ulterior motives....or just a complete lack of common sense!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 am 
Theres a serious side to this, public venues be it bars/cafes should be licensed, to get a licence you need to be checked out by the fire brigade, for emergency exits fire doors etc etc, if a restaurant is licensed to cater for twenty people, and adds music nights and suddenly its getting two hundred in there then there is a safety issue, I am glad they are tightening up, and hope its Island wide...as for PRS licence thats nothing to do with the council, that is an organization that issues licences so collecting royalties for their members...a Friend of mine had a large Bar/cafe in Larnaca and his PRS licence over twenty years ago was over a thousand CY pounds, so not cheap.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 pm 
Rock Star

I see on Facebook that people are saying that a bar on Poseidonos Avenue had all its equipment confiscated, so, if true, they seem to be serious about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:56 pm 
Rock Star

Some years ago I played at a venue, the police called each week, on the same night, took a little backhander, then left.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:02 pm 
Rock Star

Hudswell wrote:
well apart from Karaoke which should be classed as a crime against humanity ;)

Karaoke, or performers using pre recorded backing tracks (same as backing tracks) have killed the UK working men's club scene.
Artistes now have a laptop on a stand on stage, this is all due to the agents bumping up prices for live bands.
Having said that Val & I have enjoyed some excellent evenings of entertainment at the Britannia .

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:21 pm 
Top of the pops

Despite one or two totally ridiculous derogatory remarks on here re karaoke, it is meant as a fun thing, and having said that there are some excellent singers about. If you don't like karaoke, then go to one of the many places that don't have it, instead of mocking those who merely want to enjoy themselves. My goodness, there are some killjoys around, including one on this site. Don't like it, then go and "enjoy" yourself somewhere else!!! :doh :-(

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:52 pm 
Major

Bassman63 wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
well apart from Karaoke which should be classed as a crime against humanity ;)

Karaoke, or performers using pre recorded backing tracks (same as backing tracks) have killed the UK working men's club scene.
Artistes now have a laptop on a stand on stage, this is all due to the agents bumping up prices for live bands.
Having said that Val & I have enjoyed some excellent evenings of entertainment at the Britannia .

To me, backing tracks are the same as karaoke. Personally, I refuse to use them and will not play with them.
If music is billed as "live" it should be exactly that, ie played by somebody that has bothered to learn how to play
an instrument properly; backing tracks are putting proper musicians out of work in my view. I have seen people
here "playing" a keyboard in an act where it is obvious that the keyboard sounds are backing tracks and not being
played live at all. That's wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:04 pm 
Rock Star

Sorry to labour a point but I don't think that the Brewery bar is sited in the heart of a tourist area - if it had been in Coral Bay then that is different but it is in the heart of a residential area. When we went to live there we knew the Brewery Bar was there but never for one moment thought we would have heard every note and word from 400 yards away. I am not a kill joy but I do not expect to be blasted with someone elses choice of music virtually every night of the week!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 pm 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
Despite one or two totally ridiculous derogatory remarks on here re karaoke, it is meant as a fun thing, and having said that there are some excellent singers about. If you don't like karaoke, then go to one of the many places that don't have it, instead of mocking those who merely want to enjoy themselves. My goodness, there are some killjoys around, including one on this site. Don't like it, then go and "enjoy" yourself somewhere else!!! :doh :-(

Dave I like Karaoke and the fun and opportunity it gives others, what I find misleading is venues advertising 'live music' only to find the actual music is provided from backing tracks.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 pm 

I live at least half a mile away from Haris bar and the Brewery bar. But every night the music from both bars are so loud that it I can sit on my patio and its like I am in the bar. The music used to start at 9.,30pm and last until midnight which was fine however this year it starts at 3pm and goes on until midnight. Every day the singers are crap ( cant sing, out of tune, etc, etc.) Have asked loads of tourists do they want to hear this crap and the answer is NO. The tourists I have come across want traditional Cypriot back ground music whilst eating in a bar with live Cypriot dancing after. Why are these bars producing poor take offs with poor entertainers producing take offs? I have lived here over 5 years and its the same crap singers every night singing the same crap in different bars 7 nights a week. It is about time someone in the tourist board put a stop to it and get fresh blood in for next season. I for one am fed up with listening to George Michael, Robbie Williams, Tina Turner, Elvis, etc etc. Enough is enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

Dave I like Karaoke and the fun and opportunity it gives others, what I find misleading is venues advertising 'live music' only to find the actual music is provided from backing tracks.

I can accept your point of view Bassman, but what I object to is those that moan about karaoke, when there are far more bars/restaurants that don't do karaoke, that they can go to. After all, are those singing karaoke aren't doing any harm to others? I can think of far more objectionable goings on than karaoke in Cyprus. Crikey, just listen to people who belong to a certain club in Paphos, as to how they talk, as if they are the upper class of expats here!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:15 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Crikey, just listen to people who belong to a certain club in Paphos, as to how they talk, as if they are the upper class of expats here!!!!

You mean the 'remnants of the Raj' that frequent the UK Club Wavy?

Hardly "upper class", more of a supper-class IMHO :cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 am 
Rock Star

Me and my wife have been coming here for years before deciding to move here (second time). What we have both said and that it is possibly our fault. (let me explain). Years ago Peyia, Coral Bay to name just two were not built up, even my landlord said Peyia has changed beyond all recognition. It is property developers that have built houses in and around bars and to be honest modern living has asked for the music. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:05 am 
Top of the pops

Neil you might find your takings go up not down. There are many people of all ages who don't want an ear blasting every evening out. These people just avoid noisy locations and take their money elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:34 am 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
Neil you might find your takings go up not down. There are many people of all ages who don't want an ear blasting every evening out. These people just avoid noisy locations and take their money elsewhere.

What a very sensible thought. :grin: I must say I concur.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:47 am 
Idol

If I'm going out for a meal I like a bit of background music but if going for a drink in a bar, I want some kind of music or entertainment....

I hate canned supermarket or elevator music in bars but am perfect happy with karaoke. I'm not a great fan of entertainment when it's someone just singing along to backing tracks when a venue advertise they have "entertainment" but if they are a good singer it can be passable.

We have a working men's club in the village and a lot of our turns sing with backing music but they are generally decent singers. It is good when we get one or even more than one who can play a guitar and keyboards as well as sing.... Unfortunately, those two things don't always go together!

Knowing your limits is a good thing :crylaughin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 am 
Rock Star

I went to Captain Hook's last night. It's near The Triangle.

Fun Karaoke.

I even murdered a few songs myself.
There were one or two "performers" that were actually very good.

THe music wasn't so load that you couldn't talk.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:33 pm 
Topgun wrote:
Quote:
Crikey, just listen to people who belong to a certain club in Paphos, as to how they talk, as if they are the upper class of expats here!!!!

You mean the 'remnants of the Raj' that frequent the UK Club Wavy?

Hardly "upper class", more of a supper-class IMHO :cheers

Brilliant, nearly spat my coffee out :crylaughin :crylaughin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:46 pm 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave wrote:

WD, are you for real? You did note my wink face after my "derogatory" comment? Please do us all a favour and get a life rather than stalking forums.....

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:54 pm 
Star

:clap [quote="Tallulah Savage"]Perhaps they could ban sunbathing, visiting the beaches, eating out, you know, just to make sure they ruin it for tourists, locals and businesses alike. Then they can throw their hands up and wonder why it all went wrong.

:crylaughin :clap

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body