It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 pm

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice .. please
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:51 am 
Junior

Hi ..
Looking for some advice please ?...
I adopted a small gorgeous male from Paws rescue home 2 and a half years ago ..
I have been so lucky with him as he is so well behaved does not yap..well except if he sees a cat on his walks...
He is such a loving "lap dog " ..... Now the heartbreaking bit :-( :-( .. I am returning to the UK this was not in my long term plan after being here 9 years ... but will need to concentrate on finding accommodation and of course work .. plus in the part of UK to where I am going so many landlords are not allowing pets !!..
So the welfare of my dog is paramount ..
Financially I can afford to get him back but its all about timing ...
( My work here allowed a long lunch break to walk him,doesn't work like that in the UK )..
How long till and.. If i find property that allows pets but more importantly would he be happy being left all day alone as i would not be happy about it.
If anyone can help and either wishing to adopt him temporarily/permanently or till I see how i manage when i have settled there would be a great relief for me ?
Many thanks in advance
Jules.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by julescyprus on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Advice .. please
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:02 pm 
Star

We took two cats rescued in Cyprus back to the UK to rented accommodation in 2012, had no trouble, just searched before the planned move..found a place put down deposit flew back to Cyprus, packed up and sorted the cats flights with us ( passports were kept updated) and away we went....

We since rented a bigger place, again after asking, they allowed cats.... since renting from 2012- 2015 we've purchased a home in rural Wales, once we realised that we would be staying.

This link may help, but if you find a place, go see it and ask, you may be surprised how many put it, but would bend the rules if they approved of you.

http://www.letswithpets.org.uk

Our place in Cyprus is rented out full time, the contract said no pets, the new tenants came along with a puppy, I relented, and I was right to do so, the contract now says one pet!

I think being with you, even when you're at work is better than not being with you....
But only you can decide...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:16 pm 
Junior

Lynsab wrote:
We took two cats rescued in Cyprus back to the UK to rented accommodation in 2012, had no trouble, just searched before the planned move..found a place put down deposit flew back to Cyprus, packed up and sorted the cats flights with us ( passports were kept updated) and away we went....

We since rented a bigger place, again after asking, they allowed cats.... since renting from 2012- 2015 we've purchased a home in rural Wales, once we realised that we would be staying.

This link may help, but if you find a place, go see it and ask, you may be surprised how many put it, but would bend the rules if they approved of you.

http://www.letswithpets.org.uk

Our place in Cyprus is rented out full time, the contract said no pets, the new tenants came along with a puppy, I relented, and I was right to do so, the contract now says one pet!

I think being with you, even when you're at work is better than not being with you....
But only you can decide...

Hi and thanks for that ..but I think dogs are quite different to cats .. and yes i agree depends on the tenant how they judge.....Also in Bournemouth now" 2016" not only have rents increased but landlords have become more greedy and choosy as i see the exclusions .. NO DSS.. NO SMOKERS.. NO PETS and even... NO CHILDREN .. it does amaze me ?? :shock: .. anyway again thank you for that ..
Jules.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:38 pm 
Top of the pops

We came back from Cyprus in 2014 and had a real job to find anywhere to rent that would accept animals. Eventually through a friend of a friend we found one who would have 1 cat so booked our removals after sending the deposit to hold it for us. Said cat settled in well but sadly after 9 months he ran accross the road and was killed. With hindsight I wish I had tried to rehome him, he may still have been alive now.
I will tell you that the law over here that the RSPCA was eager to point out when we got a rescue cat was that animals cannot be left on their own for more than 4 hours at a time, very difficult if you are going to have to work full time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:48 am 
Junior

beverley wrote:
We came back from Cyprus in 2014 and had a real job to find anywhere to rent that would accept animals. Eventually through a friend of a friend we found one who would have 1 cat so booked our removals after sending the deposit to hold it for us. Said cat settled in well but sadly after 9 months he ran accross the road and was killed. With hindsight I wish I had tried to rehome him, he may still have been alive now.
I will tell you that the law over here that the RSPCA was eager to point out when we got a rescue cat was that animals cannot be left on their own for more than 4 hours at a time, very difficult if you are going to have to work full time.

Hi Beverley ..
Thank you for your reply and so sorry to hear about your sad experience.
I think you are helping to make a decision.
Jules.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:22 pm 
Idol

beverley wrote:

I've been trying to find this particular rule from the RSPCA and the best I can come up with is this:
Quote:
No cat should not be left unattended in any situation, or for any period of time, that may cause distress. At a minimum cats should be supervised at least once within a 24 hour period.

Rather than "cannot" I would suggest the RSPCA information you were given regarding your cat should/would have been a Recommendation rather than an Instruction?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
beverley wrote:

I've been trying to find this particular rule from the RSPCA and the best I can come up with is this:
Quote:
No cat should not be left unattended in any situation, or for any period of time, that may cause distress. At a minimum cats should be supervised at least once within a 24 hour period.

Rather than "cannot" I would suggest the RSPCA information you were given regarding your cat should/would have been a Recommendation rather than an Instruction?

The homing inspector was very definate about asking how many hours the cat would be left on its own, 4 hours was mentioned as being no more than recommended, so I strike the word "cannot" from my previous comment and explain to Jules that this was my experience and not a written instruction.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:34 pm 
Junior

Hi .. He now has a new loving home .. thanks for all your replies .

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body