Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:17 pm 
Top of the pops

I am reading on the various forums and newspapers conflicting reports.
Are any shops allowed to open today (Sunday 3rd Jan), if so which?
What is the position for NEXT Sunday?
We were in our local LIDLs today in Paralimni, it opened at 11.00 am. Packed out.
Unlike previous Sundays the vast majority of shoppers were locals.
The Police arrived at 11.15 am, to see the Manager and informed him he was breaking the law.
He took advice (we gather) from "Head Office" and stayed open.
Situation confused? No surprise there - after all this IS Cyprus.
Don't you love them? Where else within the EU would you get such co*k - ups (apart
from maybe the UK)?
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:06 pm 
Rock Star

No rooster ups in Rochdale. Asda still closed due to our major flood on 28th December.

I just don't see the point in Sunday opening, aren't 6 days enough to do your shopping?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:13 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
I am reading on the various forums and newspapers conflicting reports.
Are any shops allowed to open today (Sunday 3rd Jan), if so which?
What is the position for NEXT Sunday?
We were in our local LIDLs today in Paralimni, it opened at 11.00 am. Packed out.
Unlike previous Sundays the vast majority of shoppers were locals.
The Police arrived at 11.15 am, to see the Manager and informed him he was breaking the law.
He took advice (we gather) from "Head Office" and stayed open.
Situation confused? No surprise there - after all this IS Cyprus.
Don't you love them? Where else within the EU would you get such co*k - ups (apart
from maybe the UK)?
Geoff.

Went past Lidl in TOTK road at 2.15pm today expecting to find them closed, and yet they were open and the car park was full. LIDL probably feel it is worth paying the fine as their profit from the turnover must exceed the fine many times over.Ridiculous legislation to close anyway. As a lovely Cypriot family I am friends with have said to me, that they need the money from Sunday working in order to support their family, otherwise they would have to go to the charity food banks, which they do not want to do unless they have to. They also stated that the Government has refused to support the food banks in any way, so why are they being denied the chance to work to avoid that, due to some archaic rule, when Cyprus is supposed to be a member of the EU?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Big Nev wrote:
No rooster ups in Rochdale. Asda still closed due to our major flood on 28th December.

I just don't see the point in Sunday opening, aren't 6 days enough to do your shopping?

1. We like the choice. Including on Wednesday afternoons!
2. Opening hours should surely be decided by the shops/stores? Not by the Government.
What does it matter if they open 24/7 365 days of the year, incl public holidays?
3. Provided the shop/store workers are protected (Max hours, not compulsory, etc) - as in UK.

Does anyone know the answers to my 2 original questions?
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:06 pm 
Top of the pops

Wife received an sms from Alfa Mega to say that they would be open today. Special offers to boot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:09 pm 
Top of the pops

Big Nev wrote:

Clearly not in the case of people who were packing out the two Lidls mentioned.

If you don't want to shop on a Sunday, you don't have to. If you want to, you can. Many people work 5-6 days a week themselves and Sunday is the one day they can go shopping as a family.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:19 pm 
Top of the pops

As far as I'm aware it was not an offence to open today if they only did so from 11am - 7pm as the law is subject to appeal!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:40 pm 
Major

I love how the Cypriots get round laws.
Last summer we went to a local small supermarket on a Sunday morning.
We arrive about half ten and the doors were shut. There was a shout from down the side of the building and we were ushered in the side door, because they weren't allowed to be open yet!
Shopping was purchased and we exited by the side door too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Linda28 wrote:
I love how the Cypriots get round laws.

Ditto :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:17 pm 
Top of the pops

From today's Cyprus Mail.

"Big retailers and other shops opened on Sunday in defiance of the law relegating them to closing on Wednesday afternoons and Sundays, the CyBC reported.

Last week the government announced a return to the 2006 law as of Sunday January 3 until the Supreme Court rules on parliament’s last rejection in the ongoing dispute.

The shops that opened on Sunday could face a fine for violating the law but said earlier they were willing to take that chance.

On New Year’s Eve, Attorney-general Costas Clerides submitted an appeal to the Supreme Court seeking a ruling that parliament’s decision dated December 10, 2015 which rejected Cabinet-approved regulations regarding shop opening hours, “violates the principle of separation of powers and is invalid.”

Although on December 3 the Supreme Court had found parliament’s legislation regulating shop hours unconstitutional, arguing the right to regulate the policy was solely the government’s, a week later, lawmakers put it back to a vote and rejected it again.

The legal service is requesting from the Supreme Court a ruling where the rejected Cabinet regulations continue to be valid and that they be enforced immediately.

The appeal will be put before the full bench of the Supreme Court on January 12."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:09 am 
Regular

So does anyone know who actually want the shops closed and more to the point, why?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:24 am 
Top of the pops

My understanding, and I could be wrong on this, is that the government itself wants to reform opening hours for the better. However, the government does not have a majority in Parliament, so it's hand is being forced by the opposition parties in general, and AKEL in particular, who want to see opening hours revert to how they used to be. Because the opposition parties have more votes collectively than the government, they have for the time being won the day.

But happy to be corrected!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:36 am 
Regular

Thank you for that Lloyd.
So are AKEL et al being obstructive simply because they can do you think or have any of them given a concrete reason for the reversion they are asking for?
Sorry to appear thick but I simply can't see what can be gained by reducing the opening times.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:19 am 
Top of the pops

Ha! Wouldn't pay too much attention to my assessment because, like I said, I may have misunderstood what is going on. Just found this article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday:

Shops defy Sunday opening ban, 350 booked by police islandwide
JANUARY 3RD, 2016

Big retailers and other shops opened on Sunday in defiance of the law relegating them to closing on Wednesday afternoons and Sundays, the CyBC reported.

Last week the government announced a return to the 2006 law as of Sunday January 3 until the Supreme Court rules on parliament’s last rejection in the ongoing dispute.

The shops that opened on Sunday could face a fine for violating the law but said earlier they were willing to take that chance. CyBC reported later on Sunday that 350 shops islandwide had been booked by police for violating the law but still refused to close even though police returned to check on them later in the day in some cases, the report said. The penalty for violating the law is up to one year in prison or a fine of up to 17,000 euros, or both.

Shoppers on Ledra Street in Nicosia told the TV station they were pleasantly surprised when they went down town and found most, if not all of the shops open. Many retailers had sent out text messages to customers advertising the fact they would be open on Sunday.

On New Year’s Eve, Attorney-general Costas Clerides submitted an appeal to the Supreme Court seeking a ruling that parliament’s decision dated December 10, 2015 which rejected Cabinet-approved regulations regarding shop opening hours, “violates the principle of separation of powers and is invalid.”

Although on December 3 the Supreme Court had found parliament’s legislation regulating shop hours unconstitutional, arguing the right to regulate the policy was solely the government’s, a week later, lawmakers put it back to a vote and rejected it again.

The legal service is requesting from the Supreme Court a ruling where the rejected Cabinet regulations continue to be valid and that they be enforced immediately.

The appeal will be put before the full bench of the Supreme Court on January 12.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:46 am 
Top of the pops

Thanks for that clarification Yakflyer.
So, fun and games next Sunday (10th January) also!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:14 am 
Top of the pops

Yakflyer wrote:
Just found this article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday:

If you read further up the thread, I already posted this story.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:12 pm 
Top of the pops

And this from today's Cyprus Mail online.

"Big retailers and other shops opened on Sunday in defiance of the law relegating them to closing on Wednesday afternoons and Sundays, the CyBC reported.

The shops that opened on Sunday could face a fine for violating the law but said earlier they were willing to take that chance. CyBC reported later on Sunday that 350 shops islandwide had been booked by police for violating the law but still refused to close even though police returned to check on them later in the day in some cases, the report said. The penalty for violating the law is up to one year in prison or a fine of up to 17,000 euros, or both.

Shoppers on Ledra Street in Nicosia told the TV station they were pleasantly surprised when they went down town and found most, if not all of the shops open. Many retailers had sent out text messages to customers advertising the fact they would be open on Sunday.

The appeal will be put before the full bench of the Supreme Court on January 12."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:54 pm 
Top of the pops

So Sunday opening IS legal: Supreme Court ruling. A victory for commonsense:

Big victory for Sunday shopping hopes
incyprus — 18/03/2016

Campaingers for Sunday shopping in Cyprus scored a huge legal victory on Friday, after the Nicosia District Court ruled in favour of a shop owner who had defied a controversial law from 2006.

The court issued a ruling in a case against a shop owner, who was accused of staying open on Sundays in violation of current law.

But the law, specifically Article 20(a) of 155(I)/2006 was found to be unconstitutional and the shop owner was found not guilty.

An announcement by the Cyprus Retail Trade Association paved the way for Sunday shopping to be legally enforced throughout the island.

Earlier this week, the Supreme Court rejected an appeal filed against Labour Minister Zeta Emilianidou, saying she acted lawfully when she issued decrees to regulate zoning and shopping hours.

The decision on Wednesday was significant as the Supreme Court was preparing to issue a final ruling on whether shops can legally stay open on Sundays.

The appeal was filed by small shopkeepers association POVEK last year, which argued small businesses that are usually family owned and run could not compete with large stores operating for longer hours, especially on Sundays.

But the Supreme Court said the minister had every right to exercise her authority on issues of a regulatory nature and an appeal was not adequate to undo that executive power.

Before Friday’s ruling, there were doubts in the market as some shops remained open on Sundays as well as late on Wednesdays and Saturdays, while others remained closed, causing confusion to consumers.

This also added extra work on government officials who were reporting hundreds of shops every week for defying the old 2006 law that was reinstated just after New Year’s Day but was found to be unconstitutional on Friday, 18 March 2016.

Emilianidou began issuing decrees in July 2013 and renewing them every six months, effectively naming all areas as “tourist zones” so that shops could operate freely on a longer time schedule, including Sundays.

But the decrees had expired and could not technically be renewed after parliament voted to strip her of that executive authority last year.

President Nicos Anastasiades took the case to court and got back a decision in December that the House violated the principle of separation of powers between legislative and executive branches.

This meant that parliament had no business meddling with the government’s executive authority to regulate the market in general and shopping hours in particular.

But the ruling was not very clear and Attorney General Costas Clerides filed a legal recourse on behalf of the executive branch, asking for a clear statement by the Supreme Court that would say parliament violated its authority by encroaching on the government’s authority to regulate the market.

The government then tried to get a ruling on whether proposed shop regulations struck down by the House could indeed be published and become effective immediately.

A number of shops, such as department stores and supermarkets, have chosen to open on Sundays while waiting for a final decision and state officials have been issuing citations for those who violated the law.

Consumers and business groups, as well as part-time weekend employees, are largely in favour of Sunday shopping.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:21 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks Yakflyer for the latest.
I am so pleased to see that common sense has prevailed. Do you know if there are any restrictions
on what (sunday) hours they can open?
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:41 pm 
Top of the pops

In my opinion. all shops whatever they sell should be allowed to open as and when they deem it profitable to do so.
All shop owners should not be able to force workers to work certain days and hours that are unreasonable.
All owners should pay the minimum wage and tax and national insurance as required by law.
All workers should be honest and reliable and also be prepared to work reasonable hours .
Utopia.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:03 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:
In my opinion. all shops whatever they sell should be allowed to open as and when they deem it profitable to do so.
All shop owners should not be able to force workers to work certain days and hours that are unreasonable.
All owners should pay the minimum wage and tax and national insurance as required by law.
All workers should be honest and reliable and also be prepared to work reasonable hours .
Utopia.

:goodpost - I agree. However IMO workers should not be forced to work if they do not wish to, and if they choose to work then not more than the hours laid down in the EU's working time directive (= reasonable hours), but more than that if they wish to.
Self-employed shop owners, and their immediate family members, should be allowed to work any hours they wish.
The onions were against all this, I wonder why??!!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:59 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
beverley wrote:
Utopia.

:goodpost - I agree. However IMO workers should not be forced to work if they do not wish to, and if they choose to work then not more than the hours laid down in the EU's working time directive (= reasonable hours), but more than that if they wish to.
Self-employed shop owners, and their immediate family members, should be allowed to work any hours they wish.
The onions were against all this, I wonder why??!!
Geoff.
Because the leeks objected as well as the parsnips. :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:24 pm 
Top of the pops

I emailed LIDL hoping they might now be open for longer hours on a Sunday.
Apparently not.
At Paralimni and Protaras stores hours remain as before at 1100 - 1900 hrs.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:04 pm 
Star

:sunny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:56 am 
Top of the pops

We thought this was all over and had been decided by the Supreme Court that Sundasy
opening was to be allowed.
Now I see in the local press that the Supreme Court will be making their final decision
known next Monday 28th March.
What the heck is going on....??
Geoff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:12 pm 
Top of the pops

At the moment there is an absence of a ruling, as the court declared the previous ruling unconstitutional, resulting in a free for all.
What they will next do is provide a new ruling which sets out the regulations for shop opening going forward.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:50 am 
Top of the pops

Josef K wrote:
At the moment there is an absence of a ruling, as the court declared the previous ruling unconstitutional, resulting in a free for all.
What they will next do is provide a new ruling which sets out the regulations for shop opening going forward.

Thank you for that Josef; let us hope common sense prevails in the end, and sunday shopping
continues.
Geoff.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body