Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 am 
Idol

Can anyone help please. I'm not sure what material this sink is made from. I hope you can see from this image I found on the Internet. Over the years there has been a build up of tea and coffee stains which, despite keeping it clean, have now stained the sink quite badly. I've tried all usual type cleaners, so am wondering if anyone has a magic solution please? Thank you.

Last edited by Tarrah on Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:51 am 
Top of the pops

bicarbonate of soda ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:10 am 
Regular

I copied this from t'internet - haven't used it myself, but could be worth a try?

"De-stain surfaces with lemon juice. We’ve got a sure remedy for stained sinks: Erase those spots with a paste made of one-half cup of powdered borax and the juice of one-half lemon. Dab a sponge in the mixture, rub, and rinse with running water—it’ll work like a charm whether your sink is made of porcelain enamel, stainless steel, or any other material."

I'd try it on a little spot first, in case it doesn't suit your sink material.
Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21 am 

I use a vinegar & lemon juice to remove stains and lime scale..let it soak for a couple of hours then rinse off with plain water.

Surprisingly, 'baby wipes' work well :grin:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:03 pm 
Idol

My double sink is made from that sort of 'concrete' material and is now 12 years old. The left hand side which gets hardly any use is still as good as new, but the right hand side bowl has become well worn and constantly needs cleaning because of the sort of stains you mention. I think it is more because the smooth surface has been worn away by constant use/cleaning leaving the surface porous to tea etc. The only way I find it successful to clean is to brush neat Domestos bleach around the bowl then add some water and let it soak for an hour or so. It cleans it nicely but doesn't stop the stains coming back again.

I often wondered, if after cleaning it, I could paint on some sort of concrete sealer to stop the surface being porous. I have recently used a product called Durostick d-17 to seal terrazzo tiles on a balcony and that worked well, but would it be suitable for a 'concrete' sink?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:06 pm 
Top of the pops

I would replace the sink to stainless steel type ... 12 years is long enough for ROI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:12 pm 

Make a paste of bicarbonate of soda and water. Using a green scourer (or any other colour you have, but NOT a Brillo pad), rub well in, especially around the drain hole. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water - you'll be able to feel with a bare hand (no Marigolds! :grin: ) if there is any paste left as it feels slightly gritty. It will leave a white residue when dry if not fully rinsed away.
To keep clean, rinse tea and coffee dregs away immediately, do not leave tea bags to drain in the sink - and use bicarb. of soda paste from time to time.
It's also good for removing tea/coffee stains from inside cups.

And if your white sheets are yellowing/greying with use, put half a cup of bicarb. of soda in the drum with the sheets, add your usual detergent, no fabric softener, and wash on at least 60C. The yellowing is often the residue of oils (skin, lotions, whatever) that is not removed in a 30C or 40C wash. The greying is often general grime - again, not properly removed in a 30 or 40C wash.

Don't forget, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, especially with regard to detergents. Most often, you only need 1/2 or 2/3 of the manufacturer's recommended amount per wash - too much detergent will not be rinsed out and will add to discoloration of the sheets.
:greetings

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:17 pm 
Top of the pops

Old Twister wrote:
My double sink is made from that sort of 'concrete' material and is now 12 years old. The left hand side which gets hardly any use is still as good as new, but the right hand side bowl has become well worn and constantly needs cleaning because of the sort of stains you mention. I think it is more because the smooth surface has been worn away by constant use/cleaning leaving the surface porous to tea etc. The only way I find it successful to clean is to brush neat Domestos bleach around the bowl then add some water and let it soak for an hour or so. It cleans it nicely but doesn't stop the stains coming back again.

I often wondered, if after cleaning it, I could paint on some sort of concrete sealer to stop the surface being porous. I have recently used a product called Durostick d-17 to seal terrazzo tiles on a balcony and that worked well, but would it be suitable for a 'concrete' sink?

I agree with the bleach solution. Doesn't have to be Domestos, as long as it is a thick bleach, and use it neat, and leave overnight. Works wonders, and definitely no need for a new sink!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:27 pm 
Junior

Definitely bleach. I fill mine as high as it will go with hot water and bleach and leave for an hour or so - works a treat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:00 pm 

Bleach isn't exactly septic tank friendly, though. It is designed to kill bacteria, and does not differentiate between "bad" bacteria like E Coli and "good" bacteria like those that live and work in the septic tank disposing of your bodily waste products. Too much strong chemicals (bleach, toilet cleaner, whatever) will reduce the number of good bacteria in the septic tank meaning it becomes a cesspit (holding tank) with resultant smells and necessity to empty and start again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:33 am 
Idol

We stopped most of the staining on ours by putting the main culprits, tea bags in a pot by the sink so they go in the compost bin. The sink stays a lot cleaner now. Hope you get yours clean.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:02 am 
Top of the pops

A paste of bicarb, lemon juice and a light spray of white vinegar left for a wee while is a good start, spots can be removed later by local application. Same recipe for mugs etc to whiten them. Put the mixture in a bowl fill with water, dump mugs and white ceramics etc and leave overnight.

Bicarb in washing works great, also as a toothpaste with a little peroxide rinse (diluted solution).

But where can I buy large tins of Bicarb. Seems I always need a couple of smaller ones in the shopping and the blondie in Alphamega thinks Im kinky for the stuff.......

Also re bleach. You should try to use this as little as possible for so many different reasons.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:06 am 

Tanny, buy a large barrel of Bicarb. of soda from pool chemical suppliers - can't remember how many kilos - we got ours, if I remember correctly, from Cath at PH+ in Tala. It's food quality, so can be used in baking as well as stain removal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 am 

tanny wrote:
But where can I buy large tins of Bicarb. Seems I always need a couple of smaller ones in the shopping and the blondie in Alphamega thinks Im kinky for the stuff.......

She may think you are making explosives :explode

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 am 
Top of the pops

MAD, that sums up my baking.......

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:36 pm 
Top of the pops

M.A.D wrote:
tanny wrote:

Blondie ?!
:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:50 pm 
Idol

Thank you for all your suggestions. I've tried most things, I've tried bleach in the past but diluted with hot water. I tried the neat bleach this time, left it overnight and it worked! :sunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:23 pm 

Sergio wrote:
M.A.D wrote:
tanny wrote:

Blondie ?!
:)

?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:44 am 
Graduate

We have the same problem and discovered recently that oven cleaner works really well. Treat it just as you would a moderately dirty oven.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body