Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:39 pm 
Regular

Happy New year to all in PP land! Some of you will have followed the thread on here about the WASPI campaign and the state pension situation for women born in the 1950's. Well, I bear good news...today we smashed the 100,000 signatures we needed to hopefully provide the parliamentary debate this issue never got at the time, hence injustice has resulted.
The numbers are rising and are now around the 100,220 mark. It took a while to get going but eventually, many wine plus men and children (19+) realised how it affected them too and joined in the fight.
This Thursday sees a back bench debate on the subject led by the SNP MP Mhairi Black, so fingers crossed that goes well. We really do need the full debate and for more MPs to back the campaign.
If you haven't already signed, here is the petition which still will benefit hugely from more signatures. Thank you to all in here who have been fantastically supportive. The only way is up!
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/110776

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:14 pm 

It's great news! I was watching and pushing it on Twitter this afternoon ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:18 am 
Top of the pops

onwards and upwards :grin: :congrats

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:48 am 
Top of the pops

Very good news indeed, thanks Pat.
My OH Carole is 59 and would originally have received her State Pension later this
year at 60. As things are now she has at least 7 years to wait.
Paid full stamps all her working life.
Some men get a full State Pension having paid NI contributions for only 30 years.
Changes need to be made in the interests of British fairness, we all hope the
debate will being about the desired and necessary result.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:56 pm 
Major

Just read article in the Sunday Express today extract below gives us maybe a legal way forward.

'The Government now faces the prospect of a legal challenge on behalf of the women who say they were given inadequate warning about increases in their state pension age.

Campaigners lobbying on behalf of half a million women born in the 1950s have seized on a court ruling in the Netherlands last month which ordered the Dutch government to pay a widow her pension at 65, even though the retirement age had been raised to 67.

The court declared that a pension can be considered a possession, so deferring it could be seen to break the European Convention on Human Rights

Anne Keen, co-founder of the pressure group Women Against Pension Inequality, said yesterday they would be consulting lawyers later this week. “We have evidence that women were not notified of the changes and have been left in a very poor position. We are in discussions with lawyers to determine our legal options,” she said.

The landmark ruling follows an admission by former Lib Dem pensions minister Steve Webb that he made a “bad decision” on raising the pension age in 2011 because he was not properly briefed.

In 1995 the Tory government decided to raise women’s retirement age from 60 to 65, bringing it into line with men by 2020.

The pension shake-up could be illegal, critics have warned

A petition calling for transitional arrangements to be introduced has been signed by almost 100,000

However, in 2011 the Coalition decided to bring the date forward to 2018. Then, for both men and women, there would be a further rise in state pension age to 66 over the next two years.

Campaigners say those affected were given little or no personal notice by the government and had no time to make alternative plans, leaving many in financial hardship. Labour pension spokesman Nick Thomas-Symonds said: “Labour has repeatedly called on the Government to look again at transitional arrangements for women born in the Fifties who have been hit hardest by the changes to state pension age.

“However, ministers have repeatedly failed to listen to this group of women and to take seriously the impact that their ‘bad decision’ has had on their lives'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Well done Pat. Really good news, and regardless of the opposition against your campaign in Britain, and even on here on PP by certain people, sincerely hope you get a result that you ladies deserve, and that justice is at last granted to those who should never have missed out in the first place. :bearhug :celebrate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:06 pm 
Regular

Thank you all again on PP and I will continue to update, hopefully with good news!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:34 pm 
Junior

Thank you pat, us ladies all appreciate it, Kev died last august, I am 61yrs, I only get widows allowance for one year if I had got my pension this would have helped me so much.

Lesley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:11 pm 
Regular

I'm so sorry to hear that Lesley. Many people don't realise how badly this new pensions system affects widows. I have a friend who is also 61 and she has no choice but to carry on working full time for as long as her health allows as she was widowed several years ago. She can't afford to finish work yet her job would be very attractive to someone with school age children as she is a primary school business manager. She is effectively job blocking out of necessity as she has to wait so long for her pension and when she gets it she will be worse off than she should have been under the new arrangements. It's scandalous how hard working people are being treated in the UK!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body