The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cyprus Health Service
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:12 pm 
Rock Star

I have turned 60 and need to know if I am now covered for free by the health service here in Cyprus.
With the changes in the Uk I cannot get a UK EHC!
Lesley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:59 pm 
Top of the pops

Paul & Lesley wrote:
I have turned 60 and need to know if I am now covered for free by the health service here in Cyprus.
With the changes in the Uk I cannot get a UK EHC!
Lesley

I thought that we where not covered Lesley until retirement age, we are not seen as OAP's any more at 60 yrs old. I am 62 but won;t retire with new pension plans until 2019

As far as I am aware, the goal post shifted for all things once the new retirement age came in to force

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:42 pm 
Major

If either you or your husband are in receipt of a Uk state pension, then you/husband can apply to the Uk department of work/pension for an S1 form which will entitle you both to a Cyprus medical card entitling both access to the Public Medical Centres/hospital for treatment on a similar entitlement as a Cypriot.

This entitlement is paid for by the Uk Government on a reciprocal agreement between Cyprus and Uk.

If not, then your options are to take out private medical insurance cover or 'pay as you go'. Latter is a risky choice, no one can predict serious accidents which could land you in hospital with serious medical conditions and financial debt to repay for treatment. Public hospitals will give you emergency treatment but after that if no medical insurance will charge you at Private rates for follow on treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:32 pm 
Idol

It's intresting to see when are where you are classed as OAP. We have had OAP entry to more than one place in the UK as we are both over 60.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:04 pm 
Master

I agree with the comments here = its private or take the risk - until you are in receipt of uk state pension - or work and pay social contributions here - or if one of you is already a uk pensioner in receipt of uk state pension then both of you can be covered

The uk ehic is only available to residents as that's they way the issue of that card is based (besides only being legit when in the EU as a tourist and for emergency cover only for 90 days) and as an aside you cant have a Cyprus card issued here either as that is based on contributions here unless of course you are making those contributions (not really relevant here as it wouldn't be valid here anyway)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:12 pm 
Master

Is it not the case that if you have been living here permanently and legitimately for 5 or more years you are entitled to be treated the same as our local hosts... or is that dependant in having some form a of proof of acceptable citizenship

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:16 pm 
Idol

The rules are very simple for a UK expat residing in Cyprus who has "retired" but is under UK state retirement age.ie..not yet entitled to a State Pension...you are not entitled to reciprocal health care in Cyprus (unless your spouse is qualified). If you are sensible you will take out adequate Private Health Care to cover your health needs...or if you are completely stupid...or very rich...you will pay as you go...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:13 pm 

As far as I understand it, you can only get access to the health care in Cyprus either if you've paid into the Social Insurance fund for 3+ years or you're receiving your old age pension. The type of card you're issued with depends on your level of income.

There may also be some anomalies for those who have special life threatening health needs although I'm not sure about this. The citizens office "one stop shop" will be able to tell you and will have the forms you need to complete.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:21 am 
Star

Where in Paphos do you register an S1 form; I received one yesterday from the Works and Pensions and the letter said it has to be registered?

Thanks

Jim

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body