Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:21 pm 
Master

Thank you Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande for your Christmas present to the democratic nations of the EU and amply demonstrating why the UK should vote to leave the EU.

Quote from the Independent newspaper dated 25th December 2015.
Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande 'offer David Cameron three year EU migrant benefits ban'
Remember David Cameron wanted four years to urgently control immigration to avoid the UK being swamped and overcome by fundamental Islamists.

Its appalling in my opinion that to do this the UK has to “negotiate” with the other 27 EU member states, many hostile to the UK, and the unelected, largely unknown and unaccountable European Commission. But no! It was Germany and France who responded to the UK’s request for changes to the benefits immigrants can receive. Madness! It should the UK’s elected Parliament that makes these decisions not the EU.

This dictatorial pronouncement must surely have added a few hundreds of thousands of votes to the Out Campaign by being the last straw for even the diehards and to convince the “don’t knows” that the UK would be far better off managing our own affairs and trading with the rest of the world on our own terms as we have done for thousands of years in the past.

I would, however, settle for an outcome of the EU re-negotiations that took us back to pre-Maastricht and the Common Market; what I thought I agreed to in the 1975 Referendum. But, as we now know, we have been lied too by successive governments; just as we were in 1992 when the UK opted out of the eurozone. Remember it was Blair and Hezeltine, amongst others, who kept telling that we would be isolated financially, ruined as a nation and the City of London would move to Frankfurt by not joining the doomed currency. They lied to us then and they are lying now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:37 pm 
Top of the pops

You know, I've missed these bits of nonsense from Clive. I see he has moved to Payia. I imagine Peyia is missing him already.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:32 am 
Top of the pops

Yes, poor old deluded Clive. On his wish list to Santa every year he asks for the EU to crumble and fall apart and for Cyprus to go back to the good old Cyprus pound.

Won't be happening anytime soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:46 am 
Top of the pops

Here we have a classic case of shooting the messenger (i.e. Clive).
He always talks good common sense, to me anyway it seems that way.
I think Brexit is a foregone conclusion now,
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 am 
Star

Will the UK actually need a referendum...could the EU disintegrate beforehand?

The British public didn't take kindly to the recent rejection of quite modest reforms asked for by Cameron.....the polls since show a wider gap now from in or out...the unbending EU leaders have refused to concede any ground. Even a minor change in migrants’ rights to claim welfare has been rejected.

British calls for change have been dismissed out of hand.....

2016 could be the year that the EU falls apart, the EU is in desperate trouble. The creators of the European Union promised to bring peace and prosperity. But through their grandiose folly, they have not achieved any of this.

The EU lacks any kind of democratic legitimacy, which means that the end could come sooner than the politicians imagine. After all, apartheid in South Africa and communism collapsed within days...

But the General ' feel ' at this early stage in my bubble of the UK is definitely OUT....I've read nothing to strongly suggest otherwise, quite the opposite....it's time to "end the pretence" that Europe would change to accommodate Britain. It's not going to happen, there's been hints that the referendum may happen in the summer of 2016......the earlier the vote the more likely an out vote the polls predict..

The aftermath IMO is unknown, but it won't be pretty...and it will affect everyone in some way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:01 pm 
Forum Admin

I was never a big fan of the EU ,
Though I dont know how we would stand (as business owners /expats in Cyprus)
should we exit ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Neil wrote:
I was never a big fan of the EU ,
Though I dont know how we would stand (as business owners /expats in Cyprus)
should we exit ??

Sod expats like us in Cyprus - think of your families etc in UK! Clearly in THEIR best
interests to exit the EU. Why we ever joined beats me, I doubt the British Public will
make the same (voting) mistake again.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:04 pm 
Top of the pops

You change your opinion with the weather, Geoff. I've lost track of how many times you've admitted that improvements in Cyprus have come about ONLY as a consequence of EU intervention.

And what makes you think that it is the interests of families in the UK that the UK leaves the EU? Please enumerate some examples of the ways in which the UK would be better off outside the EU.

Most politicians and business leaders in the UK feel that the UK would be better off inside the EU.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Yakflyer wrote:
You change your opinion with the weather, Geoff. I've lost track of how many times you've admitted that improvements in Cyprus have come about ONLY as a consequence of EU intervention.

And what makes you think that it is the interests of families in the UK that the UK leaves the EU? Please enumerate some examples of the ways in which the UK would be better off outside the EU.

Most politicians and business leaders in the UK feel that the UK would be better off inside the EU.

Indeed, Cyprus has benefited by EU Membership because they are net financial winners.
UK, however, is a net contributor to the EU. As a loser it helps bail out States like Cyprus, not to mention funding a huge EU Civil Service, and non-elected EU Commissioners.
If UK left the EU it could avoid those expenses, and also be able to control its borders again = limiting migration from other EU States; these economic migrants go to UK to get benefits etc.
The latest EU nonsense is about the UK floods. Rivers used to be dredged to avoid such floods or at least minimize them.
This was stopped because EU directives prohibited it. They (EU) said the silt was toxic.
I think the EU is toxic as far as the UK is concerned!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:19 pm 
Top of the pops

Lets face it, most Brits haven't noticed being in the EU. They are responding to the media saying it's a bad thing. Remember the fuss about the EU saying cucumbers had to be straight? A fabrication by the media.
As to ditching unelected EU commissioners whilst keeping an unelected Head of State! :roll:

We on this forum (well most of us) are EU migrants who have moved to another country. Ok, so most of us don't enter the jobs market or claim benefits (oh hang on, what about the Cyprus winter heating allowance?), but we do bung up the hospital to the annoyance of the local population.

It is suggested we think about our families in the UK. Well, many people who work at the front end for charities in the UK rely on EU funding? Remove that and they get made redundant. What about the people whose work is at, or depends on, Nissan in Sunderland? Nissan want to manufacture in the EU, and are likely to move to remain in the EU. What about the national minimum wage and the maximum working week? Both EU initiatives the UK fought against.

So what happens to us in Cyprus if the UK leaves the EU?

Will you all be able to stay or will those with a very low income have to leave?
Will those with jobs be allowed to remain in work?
Will those in business have to go back to having a Cypriot business partner?
Will you still be able to have medical cards or will you have to buy private insurance?
Will you have to change to an annual pink slip with an expiry date?
Will you be sent back if you break the law?

The answer to all these questions, and more, is "don't know". One thing is for certain, things won't go back to how they were before Cyprus joined the EU. You will be a "third country national".

Think on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:26 pm 
Star

Geoffreys

Any member state can or area can receive funding from the EU and it's not all one way traffic for the UK as far as funding goes. I remember my city of Liverpool receiving a grant of over 850 million pounds from the EU to revitalize the city centre after the central government had written the city off; now it is one of the most vibrant and modern cities in Europe if not the world. It's easy to snipe and post bad news but there is a lot of good comes out of the EU if you look through the propaganda.

A good post Josef K; most people haven't thought it through and if they think it will go back to the way it was before they will have to remember Cyprus won't be calling the tune any more.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:59 pm 
Top of the pops

Don't always agree with you Jim B, but I do on this one. Josef also touched on many points others conveniently forget to think about.

My personal belief is that the UK will stay in the EU (as it's the only sensible option) and that the EU will patch itself up as it always does and carry on. It is far from being a perfect institution, but it's what we have and we have to make the best of it. It has many, many, plus points.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:12 pm 
Top of the pops

Yakflyer wrote:
Don't always agree with you Jim B, but I do on this one. Josef also touched on many points others conveniently forget to think about.

My personal belief is that the UK will stay in the EU (as it's the only sensible option) and that the EU will patch itself up as it always does and carry on. It is far from being a perfect institution, but it's what we have and we have to make the best of it. It has many, many, plus points.

I hope you are wrong, and I think in fact UK will leave the EU; I do hope so, that is my personal belief.
As far as what will then happen to us Brits living fulltime in Cyprus I don't worry about it.
If it proves dis-advantageous for us to stay then we will go somewhere else.
Cyprus would not want us all to leave however, as in toto retirees bring loads of dosh
into the country/economy.
Interesting times ahead, not least of all the possibility of a re-unification referendum here this year.
Geoff.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body