The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traffic Police!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:16 am 
Master

Tonight outside Capital Coast entrance ramp at 8.20pm The Tombs of the Kings Road was blocked, they were catching so many speeders! Be aware this is a favourite spot for them.:pint

Post subject: Re: Traffic Police!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:00 am 
Top of the pops

On a slight aside, I had a cop in a marked police car drive towards me the other day, mobile phone clamped to his ear :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:40 am 
Top of the pops

They're ALWAYS at the Capital Coast entrance of an evening, and it's not just speeders they're after they breathalyse too - the speed limit signs are a bit misleading though and there should be more to make it clearer - 30 or 50? I play it safe and drive like a snail!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:18 am 
Regular

On Wednesday they were also by the dual carriageway going up towards Debenhams from the seafront - in the turning by the statue and more on the opposite side, near the judo/karate building.

On the same day I also saw some opposite Alpha Mega in the pull in before you get to he Domenica building.

Perhaps they're filling the coffers for the Police Christmas Ball :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:37 am 
Top of the pops

That turning by the Karate gym is also a regular haunt for them!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:40 am 
Master

The traffic police were near Capital Coast resort yesterday morning. I wish I had a camera recording the expression on their faces as a car in front of us sped by them - half expected one of them to jump on his motorbike to give chase!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:54 pm 
Forum Admin

They are out every night for drink drivers ,I see them on my way home , they have stopped me a few times,
but just wave me on now ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:17 am 
Junior

Why all the warnings on here about where the traffic police are and at what times you can expect to see them.
it amazes me that sometimes people throw their arms up in horror at the latest casualty because of someone speeding or drinking, and the next giving out tips on where the police lay in waiting.
Whatever nationality, age, or sex, if you drink and drive you deserve to get caught, if you speed you deserve to get caught.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:26 am 
Top of the pops

thegell wrote:
Why all the warnings on here about where the traffic police are and at what times you can expect to see them.
it amazes me that sometimes people throw their arms up in horror at the latest casualty because of someone speeding or drinking, and the next giving out tips on where the police lay in waiting.
Whatever nationality, age, or sex, if you drink and drive you deserve to get caught, if you speed you deserve to get caught.

Perhaps because it is an information board! None of those who have already posted are suggesting that people should do any of what you are objecting to. Sounds like you got out the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rain Do have a happy day :banana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Most people know where the police will be anyway as it's always the same places- so if they are stupid enough to risk it by drink driving then so be it, I too hope they get caught and punished, however over here it's rarely more than a couple of points and a small fine - not exactly a deterrent is it?!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:20 pm 
Star

Its also good info for burglars etc they will also stay clear of these areas in case they have stolen goods in their vehicles.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:58 pm 
Junior

Wavy Dave wrote:
thegell wrote:

Perhaps because it is an information board! None of those who have already posted are suggesting that people should do any of what you are objecting to. Sounds like you got out the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rain Do have a happy day :banana

Nah, Dave, didn't get out of bed the wrong side this morning, just giving an opinion on some of the information on here, (as it is an information board) on where to dodge police traps. I can't believe a man of your intelligence would give a reply like that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:14 pm 
Top of the pops

thegell wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:
thegell wrote:

Nah, Dave, didn't get out of bed the wrong side this morning, just giving an opinion on some of the information on here, (as it is an information board) on where to dodge police traps. I can't believe a man of your intelligence would give a reply like that.

You still don't get the point do you? What I said was that none of those who posted before you did were attempting to tell people how to avoid police "traps" as you put it. Personally, I would like to see police photographing the hundreds of motorists also jumping the red lights at literally every set of lights in Cyprus, as well as speedsters and drunken/drug drivers. Whilst we are on it, what about the thousands of drivers wandering all over the road whilst they are either calling on their mobile phones, or, as I experienced yesterday, the idiot who was texting on his phone whilst coming straight at me on MY SIDE of the road, until I hooted him? That is why a man of my intelligence answers a person of your considerable intelligence as I do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:19 pm 
Junior

Perhaps because it is an information board! None of those who have already posted are suggesting that people should do any of what you are objecting to. Sounds like you got out the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rain Do have a happy day :banana[/quote]

Nah, Dave, didn't get out of bed the wrong side this morning, just giving an opinion on some of the information on here, (as it is an information board) on where to dodge police traps. I can't believe a man of your intelligence would give a reply like that.[/quote]

You still don't get the point do you? What I said was that none of those who posted before you did were attempting to tell people how to avoid police "traps" as you put it. Personally, I would like to see police photographing the hundreds of motorists also jumping the red lights at literally every set of lights in Cyprus, as well as speedsters and drunken/drug drivers. Whilst we are on it, what about the thousands of drivers wandering all over the road whilst they are either calling on their mobile phones, or, as I experienced yesterday, the idiot who was texting on his phone whilst coming straight at me on MY SIDE of the road, until I hooted him? That is why a man of my intelligence answers a person of your considerable intelligence as I do.[/quote]

Jeez Dave, what side of the bed did you get of this morning. No, in all seriousness you've just backed up my whole point, it's drivers like the ones you've just perfectly described should be getting caught, but won't be if they keep getting unintentionally tipped off from anywhere they can.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:43 pm 
Forum Admin

I was in no way telling drunk drivers where to avoid , I was simpley telling them , if you are thinking about it , there is a very good chance you will get caught , as they are out there , I could post at least 6 locations where they are most nights if i wanted to warn people..
My mother was killed by a drunk driver when I was 10 years old , so you can imagine my thoughts .. :roll:

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:28 pm 
Junior

Hi Neil, I think people are missing my point here, I never said you or anyone else are purposely warning drink drivers, my point was that anyone who drinks and drives or will go speeding etc, can and will pick up any info they can, be it on a forum, in a pub, in a newspaper, and then try to avoid that place. As I said in an earlier post, this info can be given unintentionally, that's what my opinion was all about, I was generalising. Am I wrong then?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:02 pm 
Forum Admin

thegell wrote:
Hi Neil, I think people are missing my point here, I never said you or anyone else are purposely warning drink drivers, my point was that anyone who drinks and drives or will go speeding etc, can and will pick up any info they can, be it on a forum, in a pub, in a newspaper, and then try to avoid that place. As I said in an earlier post, this info can be given unintentionally, that's what my opinion was all about, I was generalising. Am I wrong then?

Ah ! ok ....
Mind you , they tell you on the news everyday , that the police are upping the amount of officers patroling the roads ,
this never seems to deter them either ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:51 am 
Top of the pops

Drink drivers should be prosecuted at every opportunity, with no exceptions and there shouldnt even be any permitted amount of alcohol in my opinion.

However regarding the speeding issue, many of the 'newly' created roads have speed limit signs which many people feel are way too slow for the roads in question, however there are rules to be applied. I personally feel that too many roads are either inadequately posted or the limit changes without clear posting to that effect.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:01 am 
Top of the pops

To me the main issue of concern here is whether non-Cypriots are being targeted by
the Police, for any type of motoring offence.
I would hope there is no such discrimination, but some posts in this thread suggest there
may be (??).
That issue is nothing to do with the seriousness of such offences - we all agree that every
effort should be made to prevent drink driving and speeding.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:39 am 
Top of the pops

Trust me Cypriots are being caught too!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:02 pm 
Forum Admin

DollyDaydream1 wrote:

yes they are , everytime I get stopped , they always have 1 or 2 cypriots waiting by the roadside
to be taken to the police station to be processed for being over the limit.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:14 pm 
Top of the pops

DollyDaydream1 wrote:

Thanks for that, most re-assuring.
The thread started off about the Capital Coast Resort, where we happen to be spending Christmas this year.
A place I would have thought has mainly non-slipriots as guests.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:39 pm 
Idol

I have yet to believe locals get prosecuted for an offense. Why

Because the guy with no driving licence, uninsured and no road tax, who hit us in the summer is still driving around in the same vehicle. Absolutely nothing was done. He should not have been on the road when he hit us, because he had been in a hit and run a few weeks before.
Police statements were taken, but suprise suprise they have been lost.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:53 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
DollyDaydream1 wrote:

The thread started off about the Capital Coast Resort, where we happen to be spending Christmas this year.
Geoff.[/quote

The police pull them in off the road by the CC entrance, although they may stop others as they're leaving that establishment I have no idea - surely it should only be a worry to those who are doing something wrong or have something to hide!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:18 pm 
Idol

geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

Was this merely a typo or is it your new rather offensive term for Cypriots (or non-Cypriots)? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:26 pm 
Top of the pops

Old Twister wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

Was this merely a typo or is it your new rather offensive term for Cypriots (or non-Cypriots)? ;)

You are very astute to spot it. A typo of course, apologies; thanks for drawing my attention to it.
:booboo
Geoff.

Last edited by geoffreys on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:04 pm 
Top of the pops

To suggest that the Police have a vendetta against non-Cypriots is absolute rubbish. At most speed traps it is Cypriots who are being questioned and names and addresses taken.

Today my son-in-law was pulled in for speeding. I'm not sure, but he may have been 20 kph over the limit. He was let off with a caution. Xenophobic Cypriots may argue that he was let off because he was "British", which is equally absurd. My guess is he was let off because he was polite and courteous to the Police officer.

In my few dealings with the Police I never found them to be other than fair and courteous and I have never felt targetted because I was a non-Cypriot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:07 pm 
Idol

Yakflyer wrote:
To suggest that the Police have a vendetta against non-Cypriots is absolute rubbish. At most speed traps it is Cypriots who are being questioned and names and addresses taken.

Today my son-in-law was pulled in for speeding. I'm not sure, but he may have been 20 kph over the limit. He was let off with a caution. Xenophobic Cypriots may argue that he was let off because he was "British", which is equally absurd. My guess is he was let off because he was polite and courteous to the Police officer.

In my few dealings with the Police I never found them to be other than fair and courteous and I have never felt targetted because I was a non-Cypriot.

I have to say that, friendly or surly, they usually seem to be fairly even handed. They can get a little frustrated if they are having difficulty making themselves understood, and watch out if you decide to take the mickey out of their English, but I think I would give you a ticket if the circumstances were reversed, and possibly throw in a few violations for good measure.

The only exception to this that I've noticed is with the border guards at the traffic crossing to the north where, on the way back south I have often been waved through with the barest glimpse of my passport, only to have to manoeuvre past a line of cars plated in the North which were [rather gleefully I thought] being disassembled and their components inspected

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:41 pm 
Top of the pops

The border controls coming from the TRNC are laughable - any number of Pontians get deported from the South only to slip back in through the border! I could name at least 2 living near me, and a potential 3rd who once he finishes a prison sentence for armed robbery will be deported and is already planning his return!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:47 pm 
Rock Star

Lunchtime today near the Land registry office, a car parked ON the lights was being given a ticket by a traffic warden. :clap :clap :clap hope it sticks and the driver has to pay it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 pm 
Top of the pops

To those on here who think the Paphos police force do not differentiate between non Cypriots and Cypriots when pulling them over for checks, I have concrete evidence that they do. On Christmas Day in very early morning I was pulled over in the old part of Paphos near the old Post Office by one of four police cars parked there. In my car was a passenger, that unknowingly to them, spoke Greek. I was asked if I had been drinking, to which I replied that I had a drink at about 9.30pm Christmas Eve. I was then asked to do a breathalyser test - the first I have ever done in my whole life. After doing this, I was asked to get out of the car to use another machine at the side of the road. After that, I was told the next attempt was my "last chance" as I wasn't doing it properly, and I would have to go to court if that didn't work. By that time I was getting uptight, and stated " I have never done this before, so tell me what I am doing wrong". Apparently, I was not blowing hard enough to begin with, so it wasn't registering properly. Whilst this was going on, my Greek speaking passenger had got out of my car and said to the police officer that it was ridiculous stopping me and yet letting Cypriots that had been stopped and over the limit being told to "get home quickly" even though he heard them being told they were over the limit. They were told to get back in the car. My test came out alright. I noticed that a man of Eustern European nationality was also pulled out of his car. Pity it wasn't Nicosia policemen, because they wouldn't have let the mates of the Paphos police off so lightly. So please don't tell me that the local police treat every nationality the same! :roll:

Last edited by Wavy Dave on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 pm 
Idol

Why not send this in a letter to the Head of Police in Nicosia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:32 pm 
Top of the pops

Old Twister wrote:

Good idea, make sure you add "Andreas" or similar to your name.
e.g.Andreas Geoffrey Smith.
Vrysoulles

Geoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:53 pm 
Top of the pops

Old Twister wrote:

No way. The "locals" have my registration number and I do not wish to be intimidated like a friend of mine has been for the last 2 years after disputing a so called traffic violation. I put that on here for the benefit of the members of PP.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Wavy Dave wrote:
Old Twister wrote:

No way. The "locals" have my registration number and I do not wish to be intimidated like a friend of mine has been for the last 2 years after disputing a so called traffic violation. I put that on here for the benefit of the members of PP.

This is the way of things here as all those who have resided here for a number of years will know.
It is just how it is, live with it, or leave. It ain't going to change.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:49 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:
Old Twister wrote:

This is the way of things here as all those who have resided here for a number of years will know.
It is just how it is, live with it, or leave. It ain't going to change.
Geoff.

My whole point Geoffreys was to make members of PP aware of the situation. I know it won't change, but am not
sure that even those who have lived here for a number of years would be aware of the real situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:53 pm 
Major

One thing is certain that if you doing nothing about it, nothing will change!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Coach wrote:
One thing is certain that if you doing nothing about it, nothing will change!

As already stated, I do not wish to be intimidated like my friend has for the past 2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:50 pm 
Junior

geoffreys wrote:
DollyDaydream1 wrote:

Geoff.

I find your constant use of the term SLIPRIOTS extremely offensive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:38 pm 
Idol

geoffreys wrote:
Old Twister wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

You are very astute to spot it. A typo of course, apologies; thanks for drawing my attention to it.
:booboo
Geoff.

Kittykat - As you will see he has already apologized for his 'typo' and I think he only used the term once (deliberately or not I do not know)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body