The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Member blocking software
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:39 pm 

Member blocking software

For those of you who may not be aware, we have the software available to ‘block’ any member you don’t wish to see posts from. It is easy to set this up if you wish to. By chance, it is your ‘PROFILE’ page, you know, the same one you use to add your location :grin: ;)

To block a member and no longer see their posts, just follow these instructions:-

Go to the top right of the main page and you will see the ‘User Control Panel’ option, click on this and a new page opens.

On this new page, on the left side, you will see ‘Friends & Foes’. Click on this link and again a new page will open.

On this new page, again on the left you will see ‘Manage Foes’. Complete the box on the right of this page and click submit….done :celebrate

As you may be aware, the axe fell on Wednesday on ‘multiple’ members (some may have come as a surprise) and ‘several’ more are on warnings. We tried to be a 'liberal’ as possible in the hope that the members could be self-moderating but this was not to be, so a much tougher line will be taken from now!!
This is a friendly forum created to provide help and information and NOT for people to argue with each other.

Whilst I'm on
How to add your location (and any other information if you wish) to your profile :grin: :-

Click on the user control panel in top right of the page. This will open a new page
On this new page, on the left, you will see profile
Click on profile and this will again open a new page
On this new page, half way down the right section, add your location
Press submit
Simples

Any problems, just ask ;)

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:13 pm 
Rock Star

Will this work on CL - would be good to block someone's nonsense :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:20 pm 
Rock Star

Is there a way of blocking all posts which contain a Daily Mail link :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:30 pm 

J B wrote:
Will this work on CL - would be good to block someone's nonsense :lol:

Don't know, this is Paphos People BUT you could always ask them ;) not sure how long you would be a member though :grin:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:31 pm 

kato paphos wrote:

If only :doh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:41 pm 

Hi M.A.D, cant see the point in blocking someone as the next poster who is not blocked makes a comment on the blocked person ! then it would not make sense ? or am i missing something ?. I rather the Admin team to block the naughty people

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:19 pm 
Forum Admin

pinkrose wrote:
Hi M.A.D, cant see the point in blocking someone as the next poster who is not blocked makes a comment on the blocked person ! then it would not make sense ? or am i missing something ?. I rather the Admin team to block the naughty people

just a thought , but you never said which country you are in , when you said you are moving over here , where are you coming from ?? :greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:25 pm 

Hi :greetings We are from North London :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:34 pm 
Forum Admin

pinkrose wrote:

I like london , use to go to the clubs all the time ,, :greetings

Though I cant undestand why your IP address , is from Holland ?

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:14 am 

pinkrose wrote:

Neil are you admin ? i just tried to reply but for some reason it wont let me reply to your comment ? AM I FROM HOLLAND ? No north London as i told you ? :greetings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:16 am 

Neil wrote:
pinkrose wrote:

I like london , use to go to the clubs all the time ,, :greetings

Though I cant undestand why your IP address , is from Holland ?

Oh its doing it now ? Please re check you will see i am from North London and not Holland ? if you want my home number i will supply ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 am 

The Talk Talk router in Luton was temporarily bouncing through Holland. That’s why you came up as Holland just as Neil was checking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:36 am 

M.A.D Think you need to have a word with Neil :doh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:00 am 
Star

That's brilliant...the friends and foes option..

So much better than doing this :lala :lala I now no longer have to see them at all...and put up with their insidious replies..

Great bit of kit :banana thank you...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Personally, I prefer to keep the website as it is, and then I can have a laugh at those "foes" making a fool of themselves!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:36 pm 
Idol

Got to go with Dave on this one. On individual SM like twitter I completely get it, but on a forum?

If it was an issue of just ad hom stuff I would imagine our [very intelligent, fair, and skilled, just in case there is another round of suspensions coming up] moderators would again take care of that in their usual fashion.

I mean, I'm easily the most arrogant person I know, but even I'm prepared to concede that the person on the other side of an argument may well have something remotely valid to say and if not, at least as Dave said, there is the amusement value of a poorly constructed or thought out argument. Besides which what is the value of an unexamined assertion?

The only use I can think of is if someone is making a counter-argument to one of your personal sacred cows [and we all have them] which is valid, which might be uncomfortable to read but a block? I guess that is a slippery slope I wouldn't like to be standing at the top of.

What's next? Political no-platforming. trigger warnings, and safe spaces, where you can only discuss videos of kittens, following the lead of our educational institutions?

Welcome to the future Mr. Orwell, sorry we didn't realise you were being ironic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:19 pm 
Rock Star

From what I understand (M.A.D. please correct me if I am wrong) if you designate someone a "foe" then you will not be able to see his/her posts. But, presumably, he/she will be still be able to see your posts, and reply to your posts for all others to see?

Maybe its just me (or I have misunderstood how it works) but isn't that a bit one sided? It appears that making some one a "foe", gives him/her an advantage over you. Who would do that?

Now if, on the other hand, making some one a foe meant he/she couldn't see your posts (but you could see his, for what its worth) then I can see a potential advantage in that such action could on the face of it block someone's nonsense, especially if it that nonsense verges towards the insidious.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 pm 
Forum Admin

kato paphos wrote:
From what I understand (M.A.D. please correct
me if I am wrong) if you designate someone a "foe" then you will not be able to see his/her posts. But, presumably, he/she will be still be able to see your posts, and reply to your posts for all others to see?

Maybe its just me (or I have misunderstood how it works) but isn't that a bit one sided? It appears that making some one a "foe", gives him/her an advantage over you. Who would do that?

Now if, on the other hand, making some one a foe meant he/she couldn't see your posts (but you could see his, for what its worth) then I can see a potential advantage in that such action could on the face of it block someone's nonsense, especially if it that nonsense verges towards the insidious.

I never knew this was all about having advantagesor disadvantages ???
this is an information forum , not a battle ground , and if anyone thinks different , then best move along elsewhere ..
:doh

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:17 pm 
Rock Star

Neil wrote:
kato paphos wrote:
From what I understand (M.A.D. please correct
me if I am wrong) if you designate someone a "foe" then you will not be able to see his/her posts. But, presumably, he/she will be still be able to see your posts, and reply to your posts for all others to see?

I never knew this was all about having advantagesor disadvantages ???
this is an information forum , not a battle ground , and if anyone thinks different , then best move along elsewhere ..
:doh

Neil, I have never used the "friend" or "foe" functionality, and doubt that I ever will. I'm just curious as to how it works.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:45 pm 
Star

I have just done a test using the foe setting and could see it could be of some use . Some members might post nonsense that I don't want to see .

Sample below .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:22 pm 
Rock Star

Number6, no offence, but I have just made you a foe :greetings

And then I returned to this thread and your post (which should be above this one) has disappeared. Amazing!

Can you post below this post in two ways: (1) normal post and (2) using this post as a quote; just to see what happens :-)

In case I don't see anything, I'll take the "foe" off in 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:52 pm 
Rock Star

So, if some one is a foe, you won't see their posts, but when they do post you'll see something like this:

This post was made by Number6 who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:35 am 

kato paphos :- looks like you have answered your own question :grin:

I was going to set up the same ‘experiment’ that you have already tried to show you how it worked BUT as Neil has said, it’s not about advantages and disadvantages, it is a bit of software that allows you to choose whose posts you see or don’t see.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:35 pm 
Star

kato paphos wrote:

What about blocking links to the Guardian :cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:47 pm 

No problem..if it says Daily Mail or Guardian in the link...just don't open it :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:28 pm 
Rock Star

I really can't see the point in blocking someone's posts.
It's a Forum!!
If someone posts something you disagree with answer them back with your argument.

If they are offensive report them to Moderators.

Simples!!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body