It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:21 pm 

Although I think it’s a bit early, we have been asked for the 2016 Public Holiday dates so here you go

Here are the 2016 holiday dates.

REPUBLIC of CYPRUS

Friday, January 01 New Year's Day

Wednesday, January 06 Epiphany
Christian feast celebrating the manifestation of the divine nature of Jesus to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi

Monday, March 14 Green Monday (orthodox)
Green Monday, which is also known as Clean Monday, Pure Monday and Ash Monday, is the first day of the Greek Orthodox Great Lent. It occurs in the beginning of the 7th week before Easter Sunday. The day is celebrated in Cyprus by outdoor excursions, kite flying and consumption of seafood and other non-meat product.

Friday, March 25 Greek National Holiday (celebrated in Cyprus)

Friday, April 01 Greek Cypriot National Day
1st April 1955 - This day marks the start of the EOKA rebellion for Cyprus to obtain independence from Great Britain

Friday, April 29 Orthodox Good Friday
Good Friday is a religious holiday observed primarily by Christians commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. The holiday is observed during Holy Week as part of the Paschal tritium on the Friday preceding Easter Sunday, and may coincide with the Jewish observance of Passover

Sunday, May 1 Orthodox Easter
This is a Christian festival and holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his crucifixion. Easter is the culmination of the passion of Christ, preceded by Lent, a forty-day period of fasting, prayer, and penance.

Sunday, May 01 Labour Day
This day celebrates the economic and social achievements of workers. Labour Day is an annual holiday celebrated across the world.

Monday, May 2 Orthodox Easter Monday
In the Eastern Orthodox Church Easter Monday is known as "Bright Monday" or "Renewal Monday". The services that day, as in the rest of Bright Week, are quite different than during the rest of the year and are similar to the services on Pascha (Easter Sunday) and include an outdoor procession after the Divine Liturgy; while this is prescribed for all days of that week, often they are only celebrated on Monday and maybe a couple of other days in parish churches, especially in non-Orthodox countries. Also, when the calendar date of the feast day of a major saint, e.g., St George or the patron saint of a church or one's name day, falls during Holy Week or on Easter Sunday, the saint's day is celebrated on Easter Monday.
It is customarily a day for visiting family and friends and day of drinking.

Tuesday, May 3 Orthodox Easter Tuesday (Bank Holiday)

Sunday, June 19 Orthodox Whitsun / Pentecost / Kataklysmos
Pentecost (Greek word which means 'fiftieth)
Kataklysmos (50 days after Greek Easter) Kataklysmos is a Greek Orthodox festival with strong pagan roots focusing primarily on water, Kataklysmos or Festival of the Flood marks the day of the Holy Spirit. In Cyprus, the celebrations also hark back to the Old Testament tale of Noah’s Ark, the Greek myth of Deukalion and ancient ceremonies in honour of Aphrodite and Adonis

Monday August 15 Assumption Day / Dormition of the Virgin Mary also known as the Falling asleep of the Virgin
This is the second most important religious holiday in the Greek Orthodox calendar. This is the day of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary Mother of Jesus. According to Greek Orthodoxy this is the day that Jesus Christ had taken Mary's body to heaven after her soul and reunited them, as a foretaste of the forthcoming general resurrection

Saturday, October 01 Cyprus Independence Day
1st October 1960 - Cyprus gains its independence from Great Britain and becomes a democracy.

Friday, October 28 Ochi day
This is celebrated throughout Greece and Cyprus as Ochi Day (No Day). On the 28th of October 1940 when the then Greek leader Ioannis Metaxas, was presented with an ultimatum by the Italians to let Axis forces enter Greece or face war .Ioannis Metaxas allegedly replied with a single word to the ultimatum OCHI which is the Greek word for NO.

Friday, December 24 Christmas Eve

Sunday, December 25 Christmas Day

Monday, December 26 Boxing Day

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:24 am 
Idol

:greetings Thanks for this, useful to know but am wondering if Tuesday 3rd May is also a public holiday?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:44 am 

Tarrah wrote:
:greetings Thanks for this, useful to know but am wondering if Tuesday 3rd May is also a public holiday?

Why would it be? Is there something I have missed? Can't see anything on the Government chart except the banks MAY close for Orthodox Easter Tuesday but not currently 'fixed' so I didn't include it

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:46 pm 
Idol

Apologies if we are all incorrect, when you asked 'why would it be' as if it's never happened before, we just know that the Tuesday following the Easter Weekend has been a 'public' holiday for a few years now, maybe, as you say it's something you missed.

Here's a link showing the last couple of years. http://www.findingcyprus.com/info/cypru ... lidays.php albeit the webpage has a typo showing 'April' rather than 'May' for 2016.

It's just my observation for anyone planning holidays around that time so not getting into any 'disagreements' and won't be revisiting the post. x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:18 pm 

"Why would it be"......was a simple question in case I had missed something...That's all...It could have been the Presidents second cousins name day for all I knew. I think you are trying to reading too much into it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:36 am 
Star

You are saying that it is the Western Easter as well but Easter in the UK is the end of March! Apologies if I am wrong.
Blossom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:11 am 

I've no idea why the word "Western" is used in the descriptions on this particular calendar - but Orthodox Easter signifies the dates are referring to Greek and Cyprus' celebrations and not UK Easter.

On the Tuesday following Easter Monday in Cyprus (3rd May) - this day can also be a holiday for businesses in Cyprus and this pattern has followed over the 11+ years we have been living here. Certainly it will be an official holiday for the Bank of Cyprus: http://www.centralbank.gov.cy/media/pdf ... 016_EN.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:47 am 

Range of dates for Western and Orthodox Easter

Both calendars (Gregorian and Julian) calculate Easter as falling on dates between March 22 and April 25. However, because of the 13 day difference, any member of an Orthodox church would observe that the Western Easter falls between March 9 and April 12 on the Julian calendar. Conversely, any member of a Western church would observe that Orthodox Easter falls between April 4 and May 8 on the Gregorian calendar. Last year 2014 Western & Orthodox Easter fell on the same dates.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:02 pm 

But in Cyprus (Republic), which is what the list is supposed to be about as requested, is on Friday 29 April, Monday 2 May with an additional day of Tuesday 3 May.

As I said once before - better to let them Google it and draw their own conclusions. Too much information obviously leads to confusion ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:40 pm 

There you go Shell, just for you, I have removed the word 'Western' and included the bank holiday on the Tuesday :grin:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body