Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: looking for work
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:39 pm 

I am looking planing to move to cyprus but need a job before I can move there. I am looking for work from Monday to Friday full or part time.

Post subject: Re: looking for work
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:54 am 

Welcome to the forum :bearhug

Before the usual suspects read your post :grin: I will ask the obvious 2 questions
1. What type of work are you looking for?
2. What salary do you expect to get?

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:52 am 

M.A.D wrote:
Welcome to the forum :bearhug

Before the usual suspects read your post :grin: I will ask the obvious 2 questions
1. What type of work are you looking for?
2. What salary do you expect to get?

Office work, shop work, bar work, anything really with salary of 800 euros a month or more

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:09 pm 
Top of the pops

You should be ok with that as there are still a number of staff wanted signs in the bars etc, as long as you are prepared to put the hours in. However, what languages do you speak? Just speaking English can limit your chances.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:12 pm 

Yes only English. I don't mind putting the hours in as long as it's early morning and days as I have a 4 year old daughter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:23 pm 
Top of the pops

Poppie
I am sorry to burst you balloon, but there are dozens of unemployed Cypriots and east Europeans, prepared to work early and late & weekends for that sort of money. They all speak Greek, Russian and English and understand the local village Greek (almost a different language to Greek.)

The tourist season is slowing down and the unemployment will rise.
There is another consideration with a small child, there is no national health here in Cyprus. If you are UK retired the UK pays, but if you are working age you have to have paid 3 years social security to be entitled to subsidised healthcare for you and your dependant.

Summers here are unbelievably hot and because the housing is mainly concrete boxes, winters are short but miserably cold.
From what you have posted my advice is "don't"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:28 pm 

I have been to cyprus loads of times, and my father lives out there so I no about the work situation, living and the weather just thought I would see what sort of work was a available

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Should ask your father then - see if he can get you a job. :sunny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:32 pm 

Was looking on here as it's for jobs that are posted on here that my father may not see

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Most shop and bar jobs are advertised by a card outside or in the window saying "bar staff etc wanted".
In fact shop/bar owners don't even need to do that. I have a small shop/workshop and there is a regular flow of mainly ladies asking if we have any jobs.

Best of luck but the reality is very different when you are not on holiday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:01 pm 
Regular

Hi Poppie,

Also try Googling job sites for work in Cyprus and try on Facebook for Cyprus related sites as some of those advice sites occasionally post jobs as they come up.

Wishing you all the best.

Ellie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:57 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Poppie
I wish you well with your dreams

800 euro;s a month though is not enough to live on with a small child, with rent, car, food, electricity, clothes, medicines and health care, medicines are charged here for children as well as for adults. and prices are not cheap at the chemists, to see a dr costs us 35 euro's a time etc so you need to aim higher ;)

my advice would be to learn the Cypriot language first before you come out to help you get a better job than shop work, saying that shop work itself requires you to be able to speak more than English!

People over here tend to have to work more than 1 job to get through financially...... hours are very long 12 plus hours per day every day. and the wages are low.

You can be sacked on the spot for no reason, as there are no job laws here, I am not even sure that you can get sick pay if you get ill, and sadly lots of work in Paphos is seasonal.

I am going through this with my own daughter and grandaughter right now.........we have set aside a time table of 18 months- 2 years plus to learn the language, and for her to finish her degree first, thus ensuring better paid, more reliable work, we have also told her to aim for earnings of @ 1800 euro's per month to live a comfortable life, yes there are jobs out there for that kind of money, but they are few, 800 Euro's a month , if you want a life as well and not be struggling day to day is too low.

We take out Christmas shoe boxes to the children of poor families on Christmas Eve around Paphos. For those with no money it is a hard life. They live in poverty as there are no benefits here, and some of the homes that we saw where hovels and cold. There are many people here who are struggling on a daily basis to get by. Seeing a childs face light up at a small shoe box of Christmas presents and a chocolate santa, is a very sobering sight to see, as these people and children have so little.

My advice to you is the same as I have given to my own daughter, don;t rush, take your time and prepare well so that you can then have a wonderful life here

all the best

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body