The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kings Avenue Mall Paphos
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:22 pm 
Top of the pops

This is the large building going up opposite the Roman Hotel in Kato Paphos.

People keep asking me what will be in it. Not sure why they think I will know, but I took it as a complement and did a bit of digging.

Anyway, it's costing 100 million to build and will have approx 100 shops etc including:
Department stores and fashion outlets
Three full service restaurants, eight self-service fast food chains and two cafes
Six screen cinema Complex
Indoor and outdoor playplace
Toy stores
Home ware
Supermarket
Electronics and home Entertainment shops

There will also be parking for 1250 cars.

Shops currently signed up are:
Zara, Pull & Bear, Bershka, Massimo Duti, Oysho, Zara Home, Jumbo, Public, Carrefour, K-Cineplex, Stradivarius, Mango, Tezenis, Intimissimi, Charles & Keith, Calzedonia, Playlife, and Baggatt.

I can't say I know most of them, but Jumbo and Carrefour are interesting.
The floors are being laid at the moment and it should be open some time this year.

Post subject: Re: Kings Avenue Mall
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 pm 
Top of the pops

Personally I can't wait for Public to open here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm 
Top of the pops

Aren't they the store that was nearly bankrupt in the UK recently then bought out by the Sports Direct guy? Or am I thinking of something totally different?!

DD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:18 pm 

I would guess it's this greek shop

http://www.public.gr/

I heard TGI Fridays as well, but that's always rumoured when there's a new building going up.

I think a few of them are clothes shops that are already in the old town area.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm 
Forum Admin

I am just concerned as to whether we have the volume of people in the area to sustain this
shopping mall , the other one , which is much smaller is not doing so well , so what makes them think that this one will be ok ???

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 pm 

The other mall was doing ok until the rumour of Orphanides going to the wall started. It's almost completely pointless going to such as small mall for clothes shopping etc. I think that was also the problem. If I want clothes shopping in Paphos I would go into town and try Debenhams I would never think of "the Mall" for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:51 pm 
Top of the pops

The new Mall is in a tourist catchment area - the other wasn't. In fact, the other "Mall" was basically a large Orphanides with a few shops tagged on. The looks and sounds more like a proper Mall.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:01 pm 
Forum Admin

Yakflyer wrote:
The new Mall is in a tourist catchment area - the other wasn't. In fact, the other "Mall" was basically a large Orphanides with a few shops tagged on. The looks and sounds more like a proper Mall.

I see what you are saying Lloyd , but ..
I just wonder if anyone ever does a feasibility study before they jump into these things .
Is this the kind of thing tourists want ?
they can go into any major city in the UK and get that kind of thing on an even larger scale ..
who wants to go to Dorothy perkings , river island etc ,etc whilst on holiday , most people walk past them everyday on there way to work ...

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:08 pm 
Top of the pops

The difference Neil is that that here they're relaxed, and on holiday, plus they're probably more relaxed about getting the plastic out and treating themselves. The area's crying out for something like this. The tourist area in Limassol goes on for mile and mile after mile: retail, pubs, clubs, coffee shops and more retail. I think the omens are good for the new Mall; though I'm not sure that Cypriots are into 'feasibility studies' yet ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 pm 
Master

6 more cinema screens! 7 just up the road, spoiled for choice after years of no cinemas, this is great for me!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm 
Regular

Neil wrote:
Yakflyer wrote:

I see what you are saying Lloyd , but ..
I just wonder if anyone ever does a feasibility study before they jump into these things .
Is this the kind of thing tourists want ?
they can go into any major city in the UK and get that kind of thing on an even larger scale ..
who wants to go to Dorothy perkings , river island etc ,etc whilst on holiday , most people walk past them everyday on there way to work ...

Neil, the British ladies (and some men) love their shopping and always forget something when they go on hols (I know I do) and to see shops like this is a green light, OK so the 'Mall of Paphos' failed but then it wasn't anywhere near the tourist area (re Yakflyer). I say good on them and lets be positive and hope it goes down well as Paphos needs something to boost its economy

Rita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 pm 
Top of the pops

The entry and exit system will have to be good as that can be a busy junction. But some additional decent shops are needed hopefully bringing a little competition to the city.

But best idea would be to ban shopping.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 pm 
Top of the pops

don't shoot the messenger
but for me
malls kill the high street
how many town and city centre shops have been destroyed by Malls in the uk??
loads
the Old Town is allready strugglinglooking at it's shop windows and how many have allready closed down, it will die a death once this place opens
don't get me wrong
would be great to have more decent clothes shops to go shopping in, Debs just isn't enough
but can't see that happening iether
I will wait with bated breath
but feel that the Old Town shops and the old town area in itself are going to suffer with this new Mall

a lot of work has gone into the venture
so hope that I am wrong
and that the Mall brings loads of new trade and more importantly jobs into the area
maggie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Once the new Mall is up and running with its restaurants/bars/coffee shops etc etc etc then that may explain why the dual carriageway through TOTK is suddenly come to the fore as it would certainly do away with a lot of competition for the new Mall wouldn't it? Call me cynical if you will ! :pow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 pm 
Top of the pops

but why would any one want to go and sit in a mall for anything to eat or drink???
you could be sat any where in the world in the Mall
personally rather sit and eat and drink where I can see the sea or up in the mountains with a view
each to their own
but won't be us
maggie xx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:32 am 
Master

But will the shops be big enough? I swear the Limassol Mall has the worlds smallest M&S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 am 
Forum Admin

A good discussion and some good points , I think the old town will be put out of business, and yes sitting having a meal in a mall ,could put you anywhere in the world I prefer the sea view and the taverna type meal ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:21 am 
Top of the pops

Yes, but when you're spending two or three hours shopping in a mall and you feel hungry or thirsty, you're hardly likely to go up a mountain or down to the seaside are you ;)

I love simple taverna-style fare as much as the next person, but when I'm shopping in a mall I eat there. Good food outlets can help make or break a mall. The ones in the Limassol Mall are quite good; a Cinnabon franchise opened there recently and it was really busy. Previous time we put on visible weight with the aid of a Cinnabon was in a mall in the States :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:22 am 
Top of the pops

lol lloyd
like your reasoning
2-3 hrs shopping in the Mall
got to be honest that is my worst nightmare
I used to avoid the Manchester Trafford Centre like the plague
consumer nightmare place!!
the high street for me is a much better place to shop and to wander round, with a better mix of large and contempary shops
and nothing looks worse than going into a Mall to find half the shops boarded up or closing down
as rates and costs involved with Malls are astronomical
American fast food outlets that cause obesity :puke sorry but they do :sunny
why do we want them here in Cyprus when the local food grown here is so fresh and good ????
the Tavernas turn out brilliant food!!!
American fast food outlets have ruined the uk and the uk are now Obese like the Americans
it's all high fat, high sugar foods made with loads of E numbers and no goodness in them
Growing up in the 50's before American fast food shops arived....most folks where slim.
even with our own fast food of fish and chips...
now we are a nation of lardies from eating all these American fast "bad" foods
the same will happen here which is such a shame as the local kids here eat a great diet which is about to be ruined
and this as it was for us back then is ALL NEW and exciting to them right now
we both cringe when we now see all the kids going straight from school to Mcdonalds on their way home for a treat!!!!...how to ruin a culture...and destroy a nations health!!! as is testamented by the now terrible health problems 30 odd years on in the uk
Cyprus will as a nation, live to regret letting the American Fast food chains into their culture the same as us lardy Brits have
be better if they could have included some local taverna type places into the Mall instead
oh well!!
can you all tell.
can't sleep tonight
off to bed now and off soap box from pet hate :grin:
enjoy the Mall all :greetings
maggie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Maggie. Couldn't agree more about fast food outlets like these causing the obesity epidemic which is engulfing the western world. Cyprus is fast catching up with the UK and USA.

Having said that, it's nice to be a food 'sinner' from time to time :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 am 
Top of the pops

Wouldnt it be nice to have that fatty fast food and the other designer brands served by someone with experience of the product or nation it comes from, so Italian designer goods served by an Italian for authenticity.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:21 pm 
Top of the pops

I came across this item on RT, which most Americans seem to be oblivious of and it is worrying on a more general level thanks to the power of the American food giants, - http://rt.com/shows/breaking-set-summary/top-absurd-war-on-terror-tactics-censoring-animal-cruelty-99-class-warfare-895/ - skip forward to 16 minutes and 10 seconds.

Furthermore it seems that it is not only in Britain that the multi-nationals are not paying their fair rates of taxation. They are not paying them in the US either. They have grown too large to control.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:38 pm 
Rock Star

I like McDonalds, I like Burger King, I like KFC, I like Taco Bell, I like Dominos Pizza. I am not obese, I am a bit overweight, and none of the above made me that way! Lack of exercise, sitting in front of a PC/Computer/Ipod(pad?) makes pewople obese.
I am a tad overweight due to beer!!!
Which is not a fast food at all and should be consumed slowly and lovingly :pint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:26 pm 
Forum Admin

I thought the kings avenue mall was suppose to be opening the end of october ??
does anyone have an updat on this ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:29 pm 
Top of the pops

If you drive past and look in you can see that a number of shops already have posters etc. in their windows.

The first bits are opening in a few days time - food court to begin followed by a couple of the bigger shops is my understanding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Someone please make my day and tell me Burger King is opening there..........................

chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 pm 
Forum Admin

Judge wrote:
Someone please make my day and tell me Burger King is opening there..........................

chris

you have sun , sand easy life , fresh fruit and veggies to pick at will , you have a lovely house, fantastic views , get up when you want , all that millions would give a left arm for .......... and you want burger king ... :doh lol.lol.lol.lol..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:30 pm 

I walked round the perimeter of the mall yesterday,based on what i observed if it opens this year it will be a miracle.
Thom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm 
Forum Admin

singtao wrote:
I walked round the perimeter of the mall yesterday,based on what i observed if it opens this year it will be a miracle.
Thom

Having worked on sites in past , you will be surprised how it can go very fast when it gets near the end ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:35 pm 
Rock Star

Yes their is a light at the end of the tunnel.
It just depends how long the tunnel IS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Sadly Burger King have withdrawn from the Cyprus market completely. There is a Taco Bell though!

As to how complete it is, the roads are there and, as I said above, you can see things in the shop windows. It all looks very close to complete now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Neil wrote:
I thought the kings avenue mall was suppose to be opening the end of october ??
does anyone have an updat on this ??
I was told by a contact at Carrefour that they were opening on the 15th November.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:33 pm 

If that is correct KG then the interior must be streets ahead of the exterior,they no doubt want the benefit of the festive season sales,so that is an incentive,we will see.
Thom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:57 pm 
Top of the pops

I was under the impression some shops and restaurants were to open Nov 14th, Jumbo being the first then everything else at intervals.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:21 pm 
Top of the pops

singtao wrote:
If that is correct KG then the interior must be streets ahead of the exterior,they no doubt want the benefit of the festive season sales,so that is an incentive,we will see.
Thom

I guess you didn't notice me say that very thing further up the thread - twice! :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:35 pm 

Sorry about that Band,my judgement was impaired by the memory of the building site i viewed yesterday, of course it was a response to the post of KG 8-)
Thom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 pm 
Top of the pops

The M&S will be a similar size to the My Mall one I was told!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:57 pm 
Junior

The new official opening of the food court is nov 20th and I don't know where you get your information from Band but the burger king is ready to go and the management team are in England on training course as we speak. The food court will include KFC, BurgerKing, Taco Bell, TGI Fridays, Wagamama, Derlicious, Café Nero, Pizza Hut and a couple of others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:35 pm 
Top of the pops

I think I will make my first visit when it is completed totally, unless of course they are issuing hard hats at the entrance,
and not putting any disclaimers up about not being responsible for damage to your car whilst they are still working on the building!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:40 pm 
Top of the pops

I will wait until the rush has been and gone and the special offers arrive.....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:42 pm 
Rock Star

Is this the same Mall that I drove past today.....its a building site!!!! The 20th would seem to be extremely optimistic ........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:09 pm 

This is not such an unusual occurrence Hud,it might actually resemble a shopping mall inside,landscaping is usually an afterthought in Cyprus ;)
Thom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:48 pm 
Rock Star

Well it resembles the Somme from the outside.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:28 pm 
Top of the pops

? Were you there too? Before it opened?

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:08 pm 
Top of the pops

carolyn wrote:
The new official opening of the food court is nov 20th and I don't know where you get your information from Band but the burger king is ready to go and the management team are in England on training course as we speak.

Er, I get it from the fact that Burger King were due to go into the cineplex at the end of the highway but pulled out as Burger King were withdrawing from the island. It was well documented at the time. I hope you are right in what you say, but I cannot help but observe that BK are not on the list of retailers on the mall's website and all the other BK's on the island are, AFAIK, closed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:20 am 

List of the shops here.
http://www.kingsavenuemall.com/directory/index.html

No Burger King as far as I aware they have pulled out Cyprus.

Quote from Wiki
Quote:
All Burger King restaurants in Cyprus were closed down, after Burger King Europe launched legal proceedings against King Franchises (the Cyprus franchisee, that belongs to businessman Lambros Christofi) in 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:46 am 
Top of the pops

Cafe Nero. O joy.

Lesley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:21 am 

Yes Lesley,Caffe Nero i like,Wagamama as well although i would like to see Benihana in Cyprus 8-)
Thom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:45 am 
Top of the pops

I passed a Burger King, open and trading, in Nicosia the other day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:55 am 
Graduate

Location: Ex Paphos - Got the 7 year itch so now Inverness with my luvverly Grandchildren
Any chance of you guys n gals taking some photos of this wonderful new mall for Moi. Pretty please.

I was just leaving Paphos when they were about 20ft down under so would love to see it now. I remember it well; going for my yomp around the lighthouse every morning and getting 'sandblasted' by the lorries on my way home! :shock: We are hoping to get out next year for a visit to see it all 'in the flesh' and also meet up with a few pals again but until then some photos would do my heart good. :greetings

Maggie B

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body