Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Health
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:58 am 
Junior

Hi Everyone,
could anyone tell me how old you have to be to get onto the Cypriot health system?
We have lived here for 5 years, I was told I could apply this year (age) 64, but had a letter turning me down.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Health
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:34 am 
Top of the pops

I was sent the forms from the DWP in Newcastle as I was approaching my pension age, and from that got my medical card. If you have paid social insurance here in Cyprus I believe you can also apply. If you already receive state pension from the UK, then speak to DWP in Newcastle - there is a reciprocal agreement between Cyprus and the UK.

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 am 
Top of the pops

thegell wrote:
Hi Everyone,
could anyone tell me how old you have to be to get onto the Cypriot health system?
We have lived here for 5 years, I was told I could apply this year (age) 64, but had a letter turning me down.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Unfortunately it does not work quite that way. If you pay social security and earn below a certain income you can enter the almost free health service. If you then retire (after qualifying period) you still have to make some contribution dependant on income.

If you want to receive free medical via the UK then you have to get the old form 121 from UK - if they will give you one. Even for Cypriots there is not a universal free health system. :-(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:57 pm 
Junior

Thanks Jean and Polemi Dave,
still not quite sure on where we stand (it's an age thing) we retired here about 5 years ago,
so have never paid anything here, I will be 65 next August, so could I expect some forms from
the D.W.P. Newcastle? or do I have to apply for them.
I was also told I would automatically qualify to get onto the system this end, and my wife would qualify
also through me, although she is younger. Would this be wrong then.
Thanks again in advance.
The G.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 pm 
Top of the pops

From my understanding, when one person reaches pension age, the spouse also qualifies on the "back" of the pensioner - this is what happened to friends of mine. Have you had any forecasts from the DWP on your pension projection? As I said before, they automatically sent me the forms just prior to my being pensionable age, but I had notified them of my address here, so make sure you do that.

The only "automatic" qualification is to be of pensionable age, or have paid into Social Security.

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:01 pm 
Master

It is my understanding that the E 121 is sent to u just prior to your pensionable age, thats if u have told Newcastle u are about to go abroad to live - under pensionable age, again I believe, u must ask Newcastle for an S 1 ( I think this is the replacement for the old E 106) - no doubt someone will put me right!!

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:15 am 

Presumably you qualify for your UK state pension when your reach 65. You then need to acquire a S1 from the UK. I am not sure if this is sent automatically now or you have to apply but if the latter, it is a simple process.

If you have a yellow slip you can then apply for your medical card. The S1 (formerly E121) allows your younger wife to also get medical care on the back of your application. Easiest thing at this point is to go to the Citizen's Advice Centre, 62 Elefterios Venezelos (Butcher Boy road) where they will help you with the forms.

Polly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:20 pm 
Master

Re the above - has everything changed ? The S1 ( is the replacement for the E 106) under pensionable age people who are about to reiside abroad, and it gives the up to date details of your NI contribtions. The E 121 (for UK pensioners) is still in exisitance as u will see when going to the State Hospital. UK pensioners are known as "E 121" Patients. Just check on your Hospital labels.

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:47 pm 
Master

Just checked - there is now confusion between E 106, E !21 and SI - Checking with DHSS the S1 has now replaced the others. Their advice anyone going to live in an EU country, whether u are pensionable or unpensionsable age should get in touch with them and they will advise. Sorry if I have confused anyone.

ohn

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body