The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Roman hotel paphos
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:27 pm 
Forum Admin

Now , now ..
I know what you are thinking !..
It was a few years back , so this might not be relevant anymore .

I never booked it , it was booked for me ..
I was living in Ayia Napa at the time and had to bring a Dj from there
to play an event in a club in paphos..

Anyway.
The roman hotel was fine , a bit dark on the color scheme and I later found out why
most of the rooms had a very large amount of mirrors around the walls 8-)
but in general the service and politeness of the staff could not be faulted ..
Also very clean ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:59 pm 
Junior

Stayed at the Roman Hotel last Nov.must say the decor fasinated me.If you are into classic Greco/Roman art this is the place for you.
The African Gray parrot did`nt talk much but was enjoyable to watch as the bar man fed him (mouth to mouth) as to speak.As for the hotel itself I found it very clean food good hotel staff friendly
pool is a bit on the small size but well laid out.would recommend
especially off season as prices are very good.
out of 10/8.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:04 pm 
Junior

Just to give an update on the Roman Hotel -
I stayed there in May for a couple of weeks. I chose it for three reasons - the price was good, the location was good (I was looking to, and indeed did buy in the area), and the decor looked crazy. Felt I had to pay the place a visit!
Overall I was very happy with my stay. I booked HB. Breakfast, and dinner - basically all you can eat. Which contrasted with the Pyramos, where I had stayed a few months' earlier.
Pyramos has free wifi, whereas the Roman does not. But you can go to the mall and get wifi, or maybe down the road to MD's or KFC, as you wish.
The food was generally very good, which impressed me for the price - one of the cheapest hotels, out of the summer season.
The location - for visitors to Paphos - is excellent. 4 minutes to Lighthouse beach - ok - so so. A bus to Coral Bay, 10 minutes slow walk to the harbour, across the road to the supermarket and the mall.
With regard to the comments above, the parrot will talk quite a lot, but you have to be patient. I sat down, wnen it was quiet, and started singing to him. After a couple of days he really really responded. I tried some Portuguese on him, wondering if he was from South America, but... he only seemed to like the songs like "Garota de Ipanema". (the girl from.. )
After a while he started talking and dancing - amazing.
The place is full of Russians. And, at the risk of offending a nation, their table manners were somewhat lacking. And they find it hard to queue for meals.
But many were pleasant.
Reception - I found that - when I arrived in the middle of the night - the lady there didn't really understand English too well, so I had to speak in Russian. But generally they spoke both Russian and English. I also heard some German occasionally.
Despite arriving at 0200 am, they left me and hubby a lot of food - meat, fish, etc - in our room, covered in cling film obviously. A nice touch.
The Russians tended to love their guided tours, which left the hotel fairly quiet during the daytime. The pool was little used.
One last point - the greenery is fantastic. Beautiful flowers.
Ok. The place isn't Alex the Great. But - if you book carefully, you can get a good price.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:49 pm 
Idol

Good to see an up to date review on The Roman Hotel.

I visited it many years ago on a familiarisation trip with our Customer Services manager when I worked at First Choice hols in the UK. We toured Limassol and Paphos over 3 days and stayed one night at The Mediterranean Beach in Limassol and the next night at the Paphos Amathus Beach.

At the time, I much preferred the Limassol hotel as it had a much more of a "holiday" feel rather than grey doors along grey and maroon carpeted corridors as found at the Paphos Amathus Beach. Although I did like the gold and peachy coloured marble used in the Reception area. This would have been in about 1996.

That was the time the Roman had a pretty bad reputation but it was still a delight to visit! I'm pleased to hear it's still going strong and have seen it come up in accommodation searches at very reasonable prices during our last 2yrs living in Cyprus. However, we always steered away from it due to its' past history.

Maybe, just maybe... when we eventually come back to Cyprus for a visit (although a long time in the offing is what I foresee at this moment), we may opt to spend a night or two there to test it out for ourselves.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:42 pm 
Top of the pops

Lindalinda, did you book your room by the day, as I seem to recall that they used to rent them by the hour! :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:40 pm 
Top of the pops

It still has that reputation, although I don't know if it is still appropriate (he said quickly).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:56 pm 
Junior

Indeed, it does still have that reputation amongst the locals, but I saw nothing to substantiate that viewpoint during my two week stay.
Some of the people told me that Roman 1 - the part nearest the mall - is more for tourists, and
Roman 2 is more for "short-stay". I did meet some people who were staying in the "dodgy" half, and they seemed normal. English. Wedding visitor types, touring around Cyprus. So, indeed, they did only stay for a day or two.
So maybe Roman 2 is used more for "short stay" - and hence the "reputation"..... Who knows...

Regarding booking, it was a while ago now, but I booked a package tour, although basically planning to look at properties all the time. But with everything included - flights, 2 meals, room, it worked out well. I had previously booked a flight separately, and stayed at the Pyramos - cheap end, but also ok, clean, hotel, near the centre of Kato Paphos. Perhaps that needs a review also! If you stay there during high season get a room away from the main street - Bar street - say no more.
One final point -
I have it on good (although admittedly, not divine) authority that, when the Anglican Bishop of Cyprus visits Paphos he always stays at ...
The Roman ))).

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body