Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paphiessa hotel paphos
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:43 pm 

I found the Paphiessa hotel in paphos to be a Great hotel, the staff are very friendly, they all have smiles on their faces every minute of the day. Rooms very basic, but worth it. The pool area is nice and the bar food is excellent.....Would go back again

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 pm 
Major

And my mother in law works there on reception! .... :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:09 pm 
Top of the pops

also had a great karaoke team in there :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:31 am 

stayed there too 3 years ago and agree with irene...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:54 pm 
Rock Star

tequila wrote:
And my mother in law works there on reception! .... :D

Can you get PP members better rates for their families?

D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:57 am 
Junior

My mum & her friend both (73) stayed there in sept for 2 wks , and i can honestly say it was the longest 2 wks of their lives!!!
The place os a total hovel surrounded by cats everywhere you look.
Their room was disgusting, dirty and antiquated which had a stool in front of the fridge so i moved it out the way so neither of them could trip over ....no that was there for a reason ...it was holding the fridge door ON !!!!
Bathroom sink water wouldnt run away so guy came to look at it and unscrewed the u bend BIG mistake the smell was horrendous from (his words) years of dirt and hair clogged in drains yeuch.
Went to bar with them one evening but couldnt stand the smell as someone had vomited on the carpet area earlier and smell was lingering.
My mum booked and paid good money with thomas cook and i cant beleive they have put their name to this dive.
So be warned its nothing more than a hostel not a hotel and would never let my mum and friend stay there again .
carolyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:43 pm 
Top of the pops

I found in summer times the bar area very humid and mossies coming in from pool area as they leave doors open as a/c not up to much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:16 pm 
Junior

Stayed in the Paphiessa Hotel in Aug. found it to be basic but reasonable for the price paid.The pool is of a good size and the
rooms are ok,(I mean who stays in the room during a holiday
anyway) I only slept there, never had time to admire the decor.
Reasonable entertainment (not every night)beer a bit expensive in comparison to the local bars.However overall 8 out of 10.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:56 pm 

Hey, I stayed here in August 2011 and had a very good stay. Our room was basic but as some of the others have said you don't spend much time in your room. It was very clean and had excellent air con although I know some of the rooms didn't as they hadn't been upgraded to the new air con units.
The staff were always very friendly and helpfull.
We stayed half board and the food was ok but I am a fussy eater :wink:
I would definatley stay here again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:21 am 

Hi All

Will be staying there shortly. Coming over on the 11th. Is the air con unit also the heater? If I remember correctly it does get a bit cool in the evenings.....

Cheers Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:14 pm 
Junior

Hi Tom all the facilities at the hotel I found to be in quite good order also quite a selection of winter entertainment
from quizzes to karaoke ENJOY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Mossies,vomit,blocked sinks,fridge doors hanging off,quizzes and karaoke! Oh be still my beating heart! Won't be venturing near that one!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:47 pm 
Junior

yeh what ever turns you on mam!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 pm 

Well it's booked and paid for now so it'll be whatever it'll be. Good or bad.
We're going self catering so probably won't be using the resaurant much, I've read good and bad things about the food there.
As long as there's a working hob to cook some bacon in the mornings and a reasonable selection of eateries in the resort we'll be right :)

Cheers Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 pm 
Junior

ok Tom sometimes it is hard to believe all you read you will be fine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 pm 
Top of the pops

Well Tom, I do hope you find it better than some of the posts and if Tequila's Ma in Law puts in a good word about the negative comments you may get the presidential suite! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your holiday.Plenty of good places to eat out and plenty of good food to buy and cook yourself so enjoy and with a pretty good glass of vino or beer at bargain prices it ain't all bad here.

Bev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:54 am 
Junior

Sgeitheann fion firinne. In vino veritas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:08 pm 

beverley wrote:
Well Tom, I do hope you find it better than some of the posts and if Tequila's Ma in Law puts in a good word about the negative comments you may get the presidential suite! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your holiday.Plenty of good places to eat out and plenty of good food to buy and cook yourself so enjoy and with a pretty good glass of vino or beer at bargain prices it ain't all bad here.

Bev

Hi Bev

The only thing we'll be cooking in the room will be bacon and eggs for breakfast. We'll be spending plenty of " my hard " earned in the local eateries :)
Happy days begin in 3 days time :celeb2

Cheers Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:10 pm 

conmac wrote:
Sgeitheann fion firinne. In vino veritas.

Mmmmmm nice drop of village red will go down very nicely :D

Cheers Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:43 pm 
Junior

a loose tounge (in vino veritas ) the truth wine is in the wine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 pm 

Indeed, many a true word has been spoken under the influence.....

Cheers Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:24 pm 
Top of the pops

carolyn wrote:
My mum & her friend both (73) stayed there in sept for 2 wks , and i can honestly say it was the longest 2 wks of their lives!!!
The place os a total hovel surrounded by cats everywhere you look.
Their room was disgusting, dirty and antiquated which had a stool in front of the fridge so i moved it out the way so neither of them could trip over ....no that was there for a reason ...it was holding the fridge door ON !!!!
Bathroom sink water wouldnt run away so guy came to look at it and unscrewed the u bend BIG mistake the smell was horrendous from (his words) years of dirt and hair clogged in drains yeuch.
Went to bar with them one evening but couldnt stand the smell as someone had vomited on the carpet area earlier and smell was lingering.
My mum booked and paid good money with thomas cook and i cant beleive they have put their name to this dive.
So be warned its nothing more than a hostel not a hotel and would never let my mum and friend stay there again .
carolyn

If you're not happy you should take up the issue with the tour operator whilst there and on your return, they will try to fob you off with annoying delaying tactics but give them every opportunity to make amends and then follow 'Which magazines advice' and go to Small Claims Court, don't go to ABTA as you have to agree with their decision and no appeal.
Thomsons put us in a disgusting, health hazzard hotel in Ayia Napa when we'd been assured the (99% Paphos 1% Limassol) west coast by the booking agent.
They ended up paying us around £3500 to settle out of court.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:51 pm 
Top of the pops

bring some warm clothes for night times.....as temps are quite low at the moment and set to drop to 3% one night next week..........
you will need a heater in the room for getting changed and showers etc etc......and for sometimes during the day on the cloudier days......and a warm winter quilt.......don't for get your slippers.....these marble floors can be freezing
some great places open for you to eat out
just come prepared ......we are now in the middle of winter here in Cyprus
was still tho......19% today down at the Harbour :greetings
enjoy
maggie

Last edited by migmogs on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 pm 
Top of the pops

if any one does ever have a bad holiday experience any where in the world on a package holiday
these are excellent to contact for help and assistance
also good to read their advise before you go on a holiday......so that you will know what to do properly if/should things sadly go wrong
as all is governed by the law as is the package holiday code of practice
http://www.holidaytravelwatch.net/
they are recognised by CAB & ABTA as well
happy hols all
maggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:35 pm 
Top of the pops

I followed 'Which Magazines' advice and avoided Abta where there is no appeal (you have to agree to this) etc due to statistics showing that they found more often for the travel company/agent whereas it was the reverse in Small Claims Courts.
I've used SCC twice the first time was after a holiday in Turkey, at the court where we handed in our claim the clerk said "they'll take it to the 11th hour and then concede as they want to avoid bad publicity", the clerk was correct, we received a full refund plus legal costs.
The second time I took out a SCC summons due to inexperience of the legalities I broke a protocol and was set upon by the holiday companys solicitors, things looked bad until my union solicitor took up my case and won all costs plus compensation.

This was the bathroom window where we'd paid for an upgrade to, dead ants and mosquitos in the spiders webs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:57 pm 
Top of the pops

glad you won your cases, sorry your accomodation was so awful
the site I mentioned is NOT affiliated to ABTA at all.....in fact most travel /package companies don't like this company as they win so many holiday dissagreements
always good to have good advice to hand when needed
no matter where you get it
oh and you CAN use your house hold insurance as well if you have signed up for legal cover.... as holidays from hell and other things are then covered on your house insurance, and don't cost you anything :shock: infact their solicitors will fight your case for you :D
happy hols all
maggie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm 

Hi All

Well we're back after our week at the Paphiesia.
To be perfectly honest............
Yes, it's dated.
Yes, it needs a good refurb.
But, it was clean and the staff were most helpful.
So, would we go back??????

Yes, as a cheap week away it's hard to beat. The weather wasn't too bad and after we'd checked out on our last day we had a wander up the coastal path past Alexander The Great. Found a bench overlooking the whole of the harbour and just chilled. There was hardly a cloud in the sky, it was hard to believe it was the middle of Jan.
Had a bit of a delay at the airport due to the 4 hr strike but nothing major.
So when next winter comes around and we start looking for a week away, I for one will have no objections if the best deal is at the Paphiesia again :D

Cheers Tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Glad you enjoyed your stay , be staying there June, looking forward to it thanks for posting .
mind you i just need a clean bed and some basic but ok food lots of sun and i am happy . :bounce
Tricia :bounce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:45 pm 

Hi Tricia

That's what you'll get then, although I can't comment on the food served there as we didn't indulge. We did see several people in the restaurant every night as we went out for our evening meal though.
Happy holiday :D

Cheers Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Is hotel in the busy area going east from the harbour?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:58 pm 
Rock Star

Best thing is to search on 'Google' for it John.

Trev..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:38 pm 

Bassman62 wrote:
Is hotel in the busy area going east from the harbour?

Starting by the back of the Roman Hotel on Tomb of the Kings road. Go straight across the traffic lights, 5-10 mins walk and the Paphiessia is on the left.

Cheers Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Many thanks Tom.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 pm 
Junior

Stayed in this hotel for 9 nights ( thank god it was only 9)
Staff, yes really nice and friendly. Unfortunately our room was discussing and we won't be staying there again!
The floors weren't cleaned once during our stay, the bath was so stained it would never look clean. The water kept stopping during a shower. Blood spatter or tomato sauce on the lining and walls around the room.
Sorry I can't attach any photos, it's saying the files are too big. But I did put them on trip adviser.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:15 pm 

Have a look at comments on TripAdvisor! We have booked three weeks half board mid September so we are concerned about the mixed reports. There are some giving considerable praise and some the opposite. Most compliment the staff on their friendliness and helpfulness. Most say the food is good so long as you are not late. The complaints about cats, smells, bedding, decorating, mould are all disturbing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:46 pm 

Now here I can only say that some people just like complaining or expect 5star at 2star prices. It is clean comfortable everyone is helpful and friendly. Plenty of choice of food but it is simple value cooking. We will not be hungry but will eat out for special meals. Plenty of sun loungers and well kept nice pool.More later when not using tablet to get on line.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:34 pm 
Junior

Ask to visit room 026!!

Glad you are having a nice time!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:11 pm 

David100 wrote:
Ask to visit room 026!!

Glad you are having a nice time!

I did visit your room 026 and they were happy to give me the key. I took a number of photos to compare with yours. I would be pleased to have 026 for my next visit and I will not be counting the hairs on the floor! There was nothing about 026 to complain about!

Because of your report and a few others we nearly cancelled our holiday. We didn't but we did make a point of asking to see other rooms on the excuse of making a booking in late winter and early spring. We saw 15 rooms in different blocks! There were none that would put us off booking again. This is a family run budget hotel and apartment block(s) which compares well to private family rooms we have booked in Greece, Croatia, France and Spain. It is not a 5* Hotel. It is a bit like going to stay at a friends house. It certainly beats budget hotels in France!

The many negative reports posted about Paphiessa are not deserved. The staff are very friendly and helpful and do their best to solve any issues that might arise. For example I returned some newly issued damaged towels one evening and by the time I returned to my room there was a full set of brand new towels waiting on my bed!

I will post photos and a more detailed report on our visit later.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:43 pm 
Junior

"The many negative reports posted about Paphiessa are not deserved"

The negative reports from individuals on this site are based on there experiences with this hotel.
This is what this forum is for, you are always going to have happy and unhappy reviews!
I'm sure like myself they took photos of their problems.

How do you know they are not deserved ? or are you saying the unhappy people are all liars?

Kind regards

David

Last edited by David100 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 pm 
Top of the pops

I have family currently there and they report the room as manky, first thing they did was buy bleach to clean it!!. Bathroom filthy, bedding to dirty to use, rotten 2 ring cooker. no iron, no kettle. Accepted only because they were so tires late at night. Trying to change rooms today, watch this space...................

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:19 pm 

Just back from 3 weeks at Paphiessa and can't believe some of the reviews here and on Tripadviser!

Yes breakfasts are limited to porridge, corn flakes, muesli (once bran), hot and cold milk, tea, coffee, 3 fruit juices, iced water, brown, white sliced and local sesame bread and an automatic toaster. Two jams or marmalades each day. Ham or luncheon meat style salami - different ones during the week, with sliced cheese, tomato and cucumber, hard boiled eggs and some days scrambled eggs, with chopped frankfurter style sausages, and baked beans. It is buffet style some eat as much as you like! You cant go hungry! You are not allowed to take food or drinks out of the dining room - but just watch how the Russians manage it!

Because of reviews here and wanting future bookings I asked to see other rooms and also visited other guests rooms - I saw over 15 rooms, studios and apartments in different blocks including 026 which has featured in a condemning review. There is a great deal of variety in size, layout, balconies and furnishing. All which I saw were very clean and in a good state of decoration and maintenance. Some furniture was a little dated in design, some outside furniture showed age and was no longer gleaming white like new! None of the rooms visited had stained baths or dirty fittings.

Our room was serviced daily, floors mopped and bins emptied, except one day each week. Beds and towels were changed 3 to 5 times a week. Some of the towels were old and a bit rough in texture but were always clean. Some of the sheets and pillow cases, washed in their own laundry, also showed age and were not as pure white as new ones. A bit like home!!! We had a wonderful cleaner Daniella who was very friendly and helpful and spoke English better than many guests. We made our own beds daily but she remade them in her hotel style!

Poolside - loose slabs, tripping hazards! I hope they were reported. Was it this hotel? We did not find any. The pool and paving was kept clean, tidy and was well maintained. It was safe for children, the elderly and infirm! The water was not "murky" but crystal clear. The pool was kept clean, clear of leaves and litter and was tested and treated daily. There are loads of sun beds, most new but some older ones at one end. A few need replacing as do a few shades but there are enough without needing these.

The evening meal was never undercooked and was always very tasty! A buffet self service choice of soup, fresh bread, salad (6 to 8 different dishes which changed daily) a vegetarian dish (often pasta, fish or rice dishes) and two main courses with two or three vegetables. Sometimes there were lovely home cooked Cypriot cakes and other local deserts, but usually plenty of fresh fruit salad, crème caramel, rice pudding, jellies and of course 3 varieties of ice cream every day and two cheeses. Every night there was a traditional Cypriot dish. Stews, casseroles, goulashes, stroganoff, moussaka, cottage pie, fish pie, pork chops, fish in breadcrumbs, sole fillets, roast chicken were just some of the meals. You could not be hungry!

Ants and insects - yes sometimes especially on the ground floor. This is Cyprus! The Med! And there are gardens at the hotel! Just do not stay in villages where you might get scorpions, snakes, rats and mice! I did not see any in any room I visited. I heard no complaints from other guests only on this forum. Reception does have sprays available and will deal with the issue if needed.

Entertainment - we only saw the live performers all of whom were very professional. Chloe was very good as was the other female singer.

This is a family run budget range hotel and it is a bit like going to stay with family! Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Any concerns are dealt with immediately - just be polite and non-aggressive!

I will post photographs and more information in the next few days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:58 am 
Master

Sh*te Hole...................................never stayed there but reception gave me the keys to a room or should i say 'cell', which is something i do quite often as it costs you nothing and pays massive dividends for any future stays on the Island as when it comes to booking a hotel via the internet online your only guide are photos and mickey mouse so called holiday reviews !!! :pow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:51 pm 
Junior

Checked the place out a while ago this year and was looking very tired indeed.I also noticed lots mosquitos present.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body