Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:27 am

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:38 pm 
Idol

Please be very careful with your animals in these high temperatures.

Some breeds of dogs are more at risk from heatstroke especially the brachycephalic breeds (dogs with short noses) which include Pugs, Pekes, Boxers and Mastiffs.
Some dogs with dark coats are also prone to heatstroke eg. Dobermans, Labs and Rottweilers.
Please DON'T exercise your dog in the heat of the day when the temperature rises to over 24C.
If you want to cool your dog down put a bottle of water in the fridge to get cold then it can be put next to where your dog is lying.

It goes without saying DO NOT leave your animals in the car even with the windows open!!

There can also be problems with caged birds too so make sure that their cages are inside or placed in the shade.

A Dog is for Life not Just for Cyprus.
(I wish more people would remember this)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:14 am 
Top of the pops

:goodpost :clap

It is surprising how some people are still taking dogs for a walk in the middle of the day. This time of year I am up, out and back from our walk before the sun is up then my dogs don't go out again until the sun is setting.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:07 pm 
Top of the pops

Leela seems to pant quite a bit at the moment, I always put cold fresh water down for her especially after we have been for a walk (not that we walk very far she is only little), she sits with me under the air condiotioner but I wonder if that makes her panting worse, she is such a lap dog and likes to cuddle up however hot it is............any more tips on how to stop her panting or is that just the way she is made being a Peke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Try spraying her Diane with a light mist of cool water, this helps, but also Shampooch are doing cooling coats for dogs. I don't know how effective they are but Gill says they keep her dogs cool.

There are many products over the internet that you can get from cool rugs that stay cool for hours on end, but my dogs just lie in the coolest part of the house (no a/c on) and sleep.

Short nosed dogs do pant a lot more but that is their way of cooling down.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body