The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:24 pm 
Web-Site Admin

More info plus contact details now available on the main site:

http://www.paphospeople.com/cydra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:45 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks Martin, this is really appreciated.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:12 am 
Top of the pops

Out of interest - anyone know how much it costs to rehome a dog abroad?

Treat others as you want to be treated

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:44 pm 
Junior

Hi Molly

To rehome a dog abroad it depends on many factors.

Which country: the cost of preparing a dog depends on where the dogs is to go. The Uk, Ireland and Sweden have tighter regulation and the cost of getting the pet passport is more than other EU countries

Flight costs:The size of dog has a bearing on flight costs as some airlines charge by the volume, some by the package and some EU countries, not the Uk, allow dogs to travel as excess baggage which can be quite cheap. The cost into different airports can also have a bearing

Time of year can also affect the cost as there are not as many flights in the winter so costs are sometimes higher

We also have to think about preparation time for dogs. The Uk, Ireland and Sweden it takes 7 months to prepare a dog from scratch whereas to Germany a dog can fly after 3 weeks so there are less fostering costs while they wait for the flight

Helen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Helen

Thanks for info - it seems like it must take a hell of a lot of work and cost to rehome a dog.

How do you find the homes? Also dont these countries have enough of their own animals to rehome?

Sorry to ask questions, but I'm sure it must have crossed other peoples' minds how the operation works.

Treat others as you want to be treated

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Molly,

I am sure Helen will be along and answer your questions more fully, but there are other rehoming associations that CYDRA work with and for example in Germany there are not enough small dogs to cater for the amount of people who require these dogs, plus they seem to adore Cyprus Poodles and Tibetan Spaniels. Dogs are only sent when they have a forever home and not just on the off chance that someone might want one.

Costs vary as Helen states that is why I am trying to raise funds to be able to help other dogs.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:12 pm 
Junior

hi Molly
Hope you are well. I have not seen you for a while. I think we need another Limassol get together

It is a lot of work to get dogs rehomed but while there is a demand it is worth it to see the dogs go off to new homes out of the shelter. I work closely with the limassol shelter and the greatest achievement is getting dogs who have been in the shelter for 4 years since it opened new homes. We ony have 4 of the original dogs left now

There are dogs in every country needing homes and I am not really sure why people look abroad but I am pleased they do
Trish was right when she said there are not a lot of the small and fluffy dogs in Germnay so they do like these from Cyprus

Cyprus dogs are a much nicer temperment than dogs I have net from other countries. They are generally placid and sociable

The conditions in the shelters here are far worse then shelter in other EU countries and there is a bit of a feelgood factor rescuing a dog from such conditions

No problem with the questions it is nice to have people interested. The problems here are so great it is easier to ignore than get involved sometimes as once you are involved it is very hard to walk away. But everyone can help by fostering, fundraising, helping with transport for Vet runs, grooming, dog walking, donating items and for anyone who really wants to help there are always cleaning duties at the shelters. All help is gratefully received

Helen

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body