It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dogsharing?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:42 pm 
Graduate

What do you think of the idea?
Maybe there are people around who cannot care for a pet all year long
and others who would but do not because of their job or other reasons.
Is it a possiblity to bring those people together and find a home for a shelter dog and 2 happy families????

Post subject: Re: dogsharing?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:52 pm 

Something similar operates in Cyprus - there are many foster families who look after shelter dogs, either because they're too young or too vulnerable to be into the dog pounds. Also prior to them being sent to their permanent new home (mostly outside of Cyprus) to get them used to family life and generally after they've been neutered and in recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:57 pm 
Graduate

I know, I'm one myself, but this is a different thing. The question is if people are interested in sharing a dog, so the dog has just 2 forever homes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:55 am 

Hmmm, I don't think that's really fair on the dog.... and it could lead to a lot of confusion. Two sets of rules, two different household layouts, perhaps different ways of dealing with them etc.

From past experience and the number of dogs I've had from being a child, they seem to much prefer to be in their own environment.

We did have one dog who loved going to the kennels when we went on holiday, so much so that he used to drag us in through the doorway when we got there!

But, he hated going to anyone else's house. We decorated my granddad's house when he was away at his sisters' one year and used to take our dog with us. He spent all the time either standing behind the front door or heading to it as soon as we moved out of the room we were decorating.

Another one went to the kennels and hated it so next couple of times he stayed with friends - and hated that too. So after that, we left him at home and had someone come in to look after him. He was much happier after that.

Our current two dogs like their own set routine. They've both headed off out the back door now as I'm typing this because in their head, it's now bedtime and that means a last widdle in the back yard followed by a chewy stick then off onto our bed for the evening. They're very much creatures of habit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:42 am 
Graduate

Ok, depends on personal experiences. I myself had another one. A friend of us had a dog dor years and last year his niece found a recued one. She fell in love at once and desperately wanted to keep her. Unfortunately she works during the day and so they tried
the experiment. The uncle has both dogs during the day and she collects hers on the way back from home.
She takes his dog in return when he's away or sometimes when it just so happened that she makes a trip and it's easier when the doggies are together.
The dogs love each other and have no problems in both houses. They got used to it very quickly and everybody is happy.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body