Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 am

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:12 pm 
Top of the pops

On thursday we found a tiny puppy running down the road in our village - naturally we stopped and rescued it, but no-one around so no idea where it has come from - words like "absolutely smothered in ticks" doesn't quite do it justice - I have never seen so many ticks in one place - anyway, got it home, sorted it out and have just arranged to swap the pup for the GSD we were going to foster from Paws (one out, one in - they are chocker!!)........................and blow me down on the way home today driving along the road near Loukiades Chicken Farm, were four small dogs running down the middle of the road - naturally no-one stopped to rescue them but just swerved round them............except us................we managed to catch three of them as shown below.

The question is what the hell do we do with them now? we have cleaned them up from ticks and fleas and given them a bath (and have exhausted our supply of tick and flea treatment for dogs into the bargain) and now have a tough choice to make - PAWS can't take them as they are bursting at the seams and Paphiakos won't take them due to some sort of political b-llocks with trying to make the Cypriot Govt. do something it doesn't give a flying f*ck about (good luck there then you might say!!)...........and we can't keep them as we are not made of money and already have 15 cats and two dogs of our own - so either we get them new homes or its off to the Govt. Vet.................tough choice.........anybody got any brighter ideas please feel free to let me know.

Right now for all the joy I get from the activities I am involved with, I am of the opinion I didn't come here to run an animal sanctuary or spend my hard-earned pension money feeding the waifs and strays of a society too stupid to sort out their animal issues by having a spay and release scheme for cats and teaching the populous that its ok to spay or neuter dogs and proper control with back-up policing...................at this moment in time I just want to get on a plane and be somewhere else other than this supposedly christian country!!!! :evil:

chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:43 pm 
Top of the pops

Well done for caring and trying to do something .
As the population has grown so has the problem with dogs and cats breeding indiscriminately , to the point where I think you will agree, is totally out of hand. I really fear that the only answer is mass euthanasia of all stray and homeless animals in order to start afresh with animals who are in homes and being cared for. Overpopulation is damaging to the environment as well with all the faeces and rotting carcasses of poor dogs and cats who have starved to death or been run over etc. Surely a painless death is better than a miserable and painful existence.

With the best will in the world you cannot feed and care for thousands of unwanted animals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:59 pm 

It's the August holidays and with it comes that time of year that dogs and cats get chucked on the streets to fend for themselves for a couple of weeks.

We've just seen 3 youngish dogs (less than 12 months old) on a stretch of road where we've never seen dogs before. Fairly close to a residential estate so we're guessing the same has happened to them too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:59 pm 
Regular

Judge I agree with what you say, this country needs to get a grip of the animal situation as it is out of control. People need to be held accountable for their pets !!

I have a Cyprus poodle and would adopt another one so you can send me a PM unless you have rehomed the puppies already :-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:05 pm 
Top of the pops

Will pm in the morning - out at the Phoenix Club at the minute, but thanks

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:55 pm 

Quote:
As the population has grown so has the problem with dogs and cats breeding indiscriminately , to the point where I think you will agree, is totally out of hand. I really fear that the only answer is mass euthanasia of all stray and homeless animals in order to start afresh with animals who are in homes and being cared for. Overpopulation is damaging to the environment as well with all the faeces and rotting carcasses of poor dogs and cats who have starved to death or been run over etc. Surely a painless death is better than a miserable and painful existence.

With the best will in the world you cannot feed and care for thousands of unwanted animals.

So so so agree with you on this Beverley. I think the expats have made the situation worse. Feed them and they will breed even more. How many dogs and cats can this tiny island cope with?????

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:08 pm 
Top of the pops

Attachment:
3dog2.jpg
Now free of ticks and fleas, bathed and brushed and looking a lot better - two girls and a boy, all have lovely temperaments - food is important too them but they are not food aggressive, curious about other dogs (we have two of our own and another rescue we found on thursday - pictures to follow) but not aggressive towards them - we have a potential outlet for one of them, which means the others have rather uncertain futures - if interested please let me know.

chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:12 pm 
Top of the pops

This is the other one we found the day before wandering about in the middle of the road - the other picture is a bit gruesome but it shows the ticks we got off of him - they are enjoying a nice relaxing bath in bleach :bat

chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:43 pm 
Top of the pops

These four little pups are still available and desperately looking for a new home - please help us to find a new home for these adorable little pups - not expecting anyone to take all four by the way :)

We really need to move these little guys and gals on as we are full ourselves.

chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:12 pm 

beverley wrote:

This is from someone who left Cyprus to return to the UK and has constantly slated the Cypriot way of life.
It is easy to criticise from a distance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm 
Top of the pops

kwaka wrote:
beverley wrote:

This is from someone who left Cyprus to return to the UK and has constantly slated the Cypriot way of life.
It is easy to criticise from a distance.

Hello. this newbie would not be a former poster who loved to slate anything I posted even when I did live in Cyprus?
I have not slated the Cyprus way of life, I have given my opinion on certain subjects. It was not Cyprus or the Cypriots who decided us to return to the UK, it was other British people who made our lives a misery. our health and a family situation back here.
My post on this subject has not slated anyone it is merely my opinion as are most of my posts.
If you are who I suspect you are , go and have another drink and stop making yourself look stupid.
If you are not, then do not slate someone who you neither know or understand.
As for slating the Cypriot way of life , I have the utmost respect for Cyprus and most of it's people and loved the way of life that bought us into contact with "the Cypriot way of life". Something many on here and living in Cyprus will never experience while they search for fish and chips, English breakfast, Sunday roast dinners,darts, football,snooker and pool, karioki, and British entertainment. Real ale and heinz beans.
We learned a bit of the language,Greek dancing , helped a neighbour in her orchard and farm when her husband was ill and hosted our Cypriot neighbours in our home . That is embracing Cyprus, not the ex pat scene we found best avoided most of the time.
I shall continue to post my opinion on certain subjects and suggest you stick to doing the same. I have broad shoulders (I grew them in Cyprus) so carry on if you must.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks people - We are trying to find homes for four young strays, and you choose to hijack the thread to slag each other off and generally proclaim your love for the Cypriot way of life - if you want to have a punch-up kindly do it elsewhere please

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Judge wrote:
Thanks people - We are trying to find homes for four young strays, and you choose to hijack the thread to slag each other off and generally proclaim your love for the Cypriot way of life - if you want to have a punch-up kindly do it elsewhere please

Chris

:agree Sorry Chris.Just standing up for myself but you are right, not the place to do it, Hope you do find homes for these poor little pups.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body