Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paphiakos Accounts!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:53 pm 

Can any members help? The old chestnut of Paphiakos again! I know for a fact there has been one written request to see the annual accounts and the minutes of the last AGM. Why is it nothing ever happens and requests are ignored. Any ideas???

Post subject: Re: Paphiakos Accounts!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:20 pm 
Top of the pops

Are you a sponsor or part owner in Paphiakos? If so I believe you can ask to see the accounts etc but if you are not then I cannot imagine you have any entitlement.I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!

As a point of interest, why do you want to see them?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:32 pm 

Paphiakos is a registered charity and as such it has to be open about how it allocates and spends things like donations. The full total of donations which are made to the shelter locally and from other sources. Operational costs which would include wages etc. Other animal charities on the island post their results, so it seems odd that there seems to be an unwillingness to show them. There are no owners/shareholders of Paphiakos...only founders!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:12 am 
Regular

My delete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:50 am 

Paphiakos provide a vital service to the Paphos community, in fact they would appear to be the "Pound" for Paphos Municipality (who don't seem to have their own pound?), so without them, many stray and injured animals would be roaming the streets. The dedication of their volunteers is unquestioned, and we owe them (the volunteers), our grateful thanks for their efforts with Animal Welfare here in Paphos.

Having said that, any Registered Charity has to be open and 100% transparent about their financial activities.

The minute you drop a coin in the collection box, buy a raffle ticket, even support a Charity shop, you have become an "interested" party, and as such, are perfectly entitled to ask for sight of the Annual Audited Accounts (which by law, must be submitted). Even if you haven't sponsored/donated any-one is entitled to ask for sight of the accounts because that is the only way to maintain trust and confidence in the Charity (and it's Executive Committee). If the Charity refuse sight of it's accounts, it is natural that "Questions" will be asked as to why this information, which should be freely available, is not available?

In the UK ALL registered charities have their accounts available to view on-line: http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/

They even include the latest AGM Minutes etc.

I have to say that some months ago I also requested sight of their accounts (via e-mail) because I was a little troubled by something I had read, and no accounts were ever forthcoming :-( In the meantime, I have tried to find them myself and am surprised at the lack of available information - I can't even find any reference to AGM's etc, which is very puzzling indeed?

And yes, I am using a nom de plume :-)

Last edited by PetitorVeritatis on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:07 pm 

Veritatem Quaerens :grin: ;)

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 pm 
Forum Admin

Maybe Jacs could throw some light on this for us , she is the offical spokes person
for this charity , maybe you could ask her to request a copy of the accounts for all to see ??

What do you say Jacs ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:02 pm 

A few months ago, I read something on their own site/web page that caused me some concern (especially as there had been numerous postings on other forums/media). There is a severe economic crisis here in Cyprus and one of the first things that gets hit is "your" ability to give your hard earned cash to others :-( If I give to a charity I want to know it is well run/administered and accountable (in every sense of the word).

I just want some clarification that has not been forthcoming (for a long time) - I sat back and waited and waited, and now it has really annoyed me that a Registered Charity has totally ignored requests for information that they are legally obliged to provide?

Last edited by PetitorVeritatis on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:10 pm 

As I started this thread I feel I need to comment again. An elderly relative who supports many animal charities worldwide was very keen to assist here on Cyprus. She e-mailed Paphiakos requesting a copy of the annual accounts etc. The reply when it arrived completely ignored the request and went straight into the type of sponsorship and how much. She was most alarmed at this part of the e-mail:-

"To start the new shelter we require a minimum of 2.5 million Euros".***

She asked my opinion and help, and to be honest the figure of 2.5 million TO START!!!!! This is another reason there needs to openness about the annual accounts. It would certainly highlight were the funds are being spent and how much is spent on basics like dog & cat food. Having seen the dogs held on the sanctuary land being fed boiled pasta, bones & dry bread it makes me wonder where the money is going. Staff wages, radio advertising, the sponsorship of an ex-employee's daughter on a UK college course. I would have thought the basics of proper food is more important than the sponsorship of a college course. The accounts I would presume would also show the amount held in donations in a separate bank account for the proposed new shelter. On contacting a shelter in Larnaca, the information was readily available. Why is there a problem with Paphiakos? Still no real answer!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm 
Top of the pops

Now take care everyone.

The last time this charity became a subject of discussion on this forum, the PP team and the individual posters were threatened with legal action unless an apology was forthcoming. This was in response to comments that I would have said were not libelous.

So unless you want to end up in court, keep your fingers off the keyboard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm 
Top of the pops

maggie6 wrote:
As I started this thread I feel I need to comment again. An elderly relative who supports many animal charities worldwide was very keen to assist here on Cyprus. She e-mailed Paphiakos requesting a copy of the annual accounts etc. The reply when it arrived completely ignored the request and went straight into the type of sponsorship and how much. She was most alarmed at this part of the e-mail:-

She asked my opinion and help, and to be honest the figure of 2.5 million TO START!!!!! This is another reason there needs to openness about the annual accounts. It would certainly highlight were the funds are being spent and how much is spent on basics like dog & cat food. Having seen the dogs held on the sanctuary land being fed boiled pasta, bones & dry bread it makes me wonder where the money is going. Staff wages, radio advertising, the sponsorship of an ex-employee's daughter on a UK college course. I would have thought the basics of proper food is more important than the sponsorship of a college course. The accounts I would presume would also show the amount held in donations in a separate bank account for the proposed new shelter. On contacting a shelter in Larnaca, the information was readily available. Why is there a problem with Paphiakos? Still no real answer!

Tell your elderly relative to keep her money and leave it to her relatives.
All charities are run by administrators,accountants,fund raisers,etc etc etc and the amount creamed off in wages,admin,etc would make your eyes water.
I had my eyes well and truly opened in the UK by a very well known charity (I was an unpaid volunteer) and was appalled at how little of every donation actually goes to the actual cause itself.Probably 10 pence in every pound would be an extravagant figure.

I give directly to small hospices now and give nothing to animal charities or overseas aid.

It has become a multi million pound business that supports a lot of fat cats and others at the top so now "charity begins at home" for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 pm 
Regular

How can a simple question like asking for accounts that should be readily (not to mention legally) available be regarded as libellous? Don't they realise the fact they are not publishing them freely causes more concern.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 pm 

beverley wrote:
maggie6 wrote:

All charities are run by administrators,accountants,fund raisers,etc etc etc and the amount creamed off in wages,admin,etc would make your eyes water.
I had my eyes well and truly opened in the UK by a very well known charity (I was an unpaid volunteer) and was appalled at how little of every donation actually goes to the actual cause itself.Probably 10 pence in every pound would be an extravagant figure.

I give directly to small hospices now and give nothing to animal charities or overseas aid.

It has become a multi million pound business that supports a lot of fat cats and others at the top so now "charity begins at home" for me.

It might well make my eyes water, if I ever get a chance to view the accounts (or AGM Minutes etc where they report on their decision making) but it is the sheer lack of readily available information that is alarming. I went through 2 years worth of their newsletters and not one mention of an AGM? How can this be? How do they elect their "Officers and Committee" on an Annual basis? or - is it just "lip service" and they don't even bother? - just wondering that is all. Have any of you ever seen a Notice for the AGM of Paphiakos?

A few months ago some-one was on this forum declaring that their (Paphiakos') accounts are readily available, so, where and when please?

This is a very simple (and reasonable) request that should not cause any offence or cries of "Libel", in fact failure to make such information available may be in breach of their charitable status?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:56 pm 

I am finding all this very confusing. One post says to urge caution with threats of libel from Paphiakos being used on previous occasions. To be accused of libel incorrect statements have to be made. If the charity in question, considers any of the posts on this subject to be libelous in nature then I would have to ask myself what are they afraid of. Surely they would have more to lose taking a "case" to court when they would have to supply the very evidence being asked for? If the organization is a registered charity it has to lodge accounts. This is not a witch hunt but a request for information which should be readily available. I believe anyone who has donated money should be able to see where it is spent. They receive donations from people/companies on the island and the UK, plus UK based charities......so why is there a reluctance to show the annual returns? The failure to give access to the information only serves to put serious doubts into peoples minds.

Animal welfare shelters across the island are all under a great strain with the sheer numbers of unwanted pets. Paphiakos appears to serve as the unofficial municipal pound. Its existence is required but maybe it is time for a different internal regime to operate it. Time for a clean sweep maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:09 am 
Regular

I actually am now finding the silence from a certain member 'deafening' in view of comments previously posted by them regarding this organisation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:30 am 

I too picked up on the article in their own Newsletter that they were sponsoring a young lady at Agricultural College in the UK. I believe the young lady's mother was formerly an employee or volunteer (but the entire family are now back in the UK)? Now, personally, I do not believe this is an appropriate use of the Charity's funds, if you want to sponsor some-one through college, that is fine, but not when the money donated is supposed to be spent on the Welfare and upkeep of animals? My last donation to them was for €50 and I thought it was going to directly benefit the animals in their care?

If I was able to attend an AGM, that would be one of the first topics I would like answers to, eg How much is the sponsorship? How long is it for? Why is it a proper use of funds when there are repeated pleas for food for the animals? Who decided that the sponsorship be approved? Presumably such "sponsorship" will be properly noted in the Annual Accounts - which we can't seem to to able to get to see!

Anyway, I also have a lawyer, and very soon I will be asking him to write to them formally asking for sight of their accounts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:16 pm 

I have to say the lack of information on the accounts is worrying. I telephoned their Paphos office and asked if the accounts were available for inspection. The reply was ...no idea about them etc. I was not offered the opportunity to speak with anyone in a higher staff level. I still believe as a registered charity (as seen on their web page from 1994?) they have to keep accounts. The people who donate money surely have the right to see where their money is being spent. Does anyone know how many salaried staff are employed? How much are they paying in rent for the offices and charity shops they operate? Why does it appear all aspects are veiled in secrecy? Lots of points which need to be clarified.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:46 pm 

From Jacs/george on this forum (the dreaded Hotdog Show thread):

Thirdly, anyone who believes that Paphiakos are amassing huge profits from their treatment and care of animals really should look at the accounts! Paphiakos are invariably in the red! Regardless of what they charge for rehoming, veterinary treatment etc etc, all of the money goes straight back into helping the strays, the unwanted and abused animals that no-one else will take.

OK Yes please - I REALLY DO want to look at the accounts!! Just tell me how do I do it? And if ALL of the money (as Jacs has stated above) goes back into helping the strays, how come it also goes into sponsoring a UK based student at an Agricultural College in the UK?? Never mind possibly paying for one of their employees to attend Annual Conferences in MONTREAL, HONG KONG, IRELAND and this year (in fact probably this week) MADRID. This is all freely available info just search for IPATA conference attendees ? Paphiakos have been represented for at least 4 years by the same person - in fact for one year she is listed as a member of the "Conference Organising Committee) ......... an appropriate use of funds...who knows if you can't see accounts??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 pm 

http://www.ipata.org/useruploads/files/ ... e_list.pdf

Scroll down - Paphiakos is represented - their attendee also went to the Dinner and a trip to the Monastery :-) I can understand an employee going to 1 conference every few years, but to go to EVERY conference for at least 4 years (couldn't be bothered to go back further!!) seems an inappropriate use of funds? They may have paid their own expenses (cough) - but without access to accounts we will never know :-(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 pm 

Thirdly, anyone who believes that Paphiakos are amassing huge profits from their treatment and care of animals really should look at the accounts! Paphiakos are invariably in the red! Regardless of what they charge for re-homing, veterinary treatment etc etc, all of the money goes straight back into helping the strays, the unwanted and abused animals that no-one else will take.

I have taken this from the last post. If Jacs says the accounts are there to be looked at I say lets see them, and see them now! How can she state "they are in the red" when a staff member is allowed to jaunt around the world at conferences. Why is a UK college course being sponsored by Paphiakos. This really shows a dreadful lack of business acumen. I find it difficult to comprehend why they charge so much for people wanting to adopt a pet cat or dog. Other agencies charge less than 100 euros. Can Jacs explain why very expensive radio advertising is needed? Why aren't these funds being used to provide a decent diet to the animals. How can a charity afford to do these things. If the people running it are not fit to operate the centre without it being in the red then its time for new management. They post they are a charity...I say charity begins at home and that should be the provision of decent food for the animals in their care.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 pm 

Secondly, instead of posting malicious comments here, particularly when they are hearsay as the majority are, why not come down to the shelter, see the animals for yourself, speak to the staff, the volunteers, the veterinary staff, the head – anyone you like. Paphiakos have nothing to hide, the whole business and its accounts are an open book and they welcome your visits and comments. Sunday 20th May is the next shelter open day – you are all invited!

This is a quote from George/Jacs...................the accounts are an open book. BUT people have been denied access to them, so that statement may come back to haunt him/her. There are too many horrible stories about this place for some of them not to be true. I wonder how many cats and dogs are euthanized every week. Is this a statistic they will elaborate on? I doubt it. We know by statements made by the charity founder confirm she puts animals to sleep. But how many?....This place really needs to be more transparent with its workings. Far too many grey areas. I say to George/Jacs get me a copy of the accounts if they are freely available and you have nothing to hide.....your words not mine!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 pm 

http://www.ipata.org/useruploads/files/ ... e_list.pdf

Sorry - the formatting is all wrong- but Paphiakos were represented in Hong Kong, as they were the year before in Montreal , and before then Ireland. I defy any of you to ask how this was funded - you won't get a response?

Company Attendee Country
Sunday
Dinner
Hong Kong
Orientation Tour
TOUR #1
New
Territories
Trail to the
Hidden Oasis
TOUR #2
Tsing Ma
Lantau &
Monastery
TOUR 3#
2011 IPATA
Conference
Attendee List
Updated - November 3, 2011
(R)=Registered (S)=Speaker
Paphiakos CCP Animal Welfare Mrs. XXXXX XXXX (R ) Cyprus X X I have edited out her name (even though the document is freely available)

Last edited by PetitorVeritatis on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:57 am 
Regular

I also believe George has been on the forum, since this thread started but not commented in any form on it! Possibly she cannot defend this organisation anymore?

My advise now is to not donate any monies whatsoever to this organisation. Not that I ever did as I have always had concerns.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:39 am 
Graduate

Location: Shrewsbury Shropshire, but preparing for a new adventure
I normally wouldn't comment on something like this but the deafening silence from anyone in any authority at Paphiakos has me intrigued.

Rob

I'm not lost...........just undiscovered.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Let me say, I believe like so many of the animal charities here they do a great and thankless task, often picking up where others wont and taking difficult decisions about euthanasia (which in my opinion has to be done).

It is supported by well maening and generous organisations and individuals and has a troop of employees and volunteers who are animal lovers throughout. I do not envy them their jobs.

However a little more clarity on the financial situation would be a great asset to them and allow them to move forward.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:11 pm 

All charities must have accounts available to the general public. This is law, and no charity should have anything to hide.

I for one await a response as being in the red and sending people to conventions abroad most certainly do not go hand in hand!!

I know they are sometimes scritinized for euthenasia, I struggle to understand the ethos when dogs are euthenised yet the donkeys are left to breed at an alarming rate, decisions such these are bound to raise concerns, and stir the general public into wanting to see the accounts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:59 pm 
Top of the pops

cy123 wrote:
All charities must have accounts available to the general public. This is law, and no charity should have anything to hide.

I for one await a response as being in the red and sending people to conventions abroad most certainly do not go hand in hand!!

I know they are sometimes scritinized for euthenasia, I struggle to understand the ethos when dogs are euthenised yet the donkeys are left to breed at an alarming rate, decisions such these are bound to raise concerns, and stir the general public into wanting to see the accounts.

You can sell donkeys back to the very people who mistreated their parents can't you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:14 pm 

This is how a Registered Charity SHOULD behave; they are one of Paphiakos' major supporters in the UK (all information is freely available) please take the time to click on both links -

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Sh ... ryNumber=0

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Ac ... 31_e_c.pdf

Please read right through to the end (lots of scrolling) to see how thorough the AGM notes are etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 pm 

I have just reviewed the two links posted by another member for the UK charities. I understand they post minutes and hold AGM's and all details relating to the funds given to Paphiakos are clearly visible and open for inspection! BUT the Paphos based charity appears not to adhere to these rules. I am also surprised at the level of donations being generated in the UK. I have to wonder what this money is spent on. Is it being used to the benefit of the animals in it's care? There are so many questions, but no answers. Does Paphiakos have to prepare an annual statement to present to the UK based charity from which it receives funds? I wonder if the UK agents are aware of the lack of financial information available here!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:29 pm 

Hi there i was just wondering why maggie6 seems to have a grudge against Paphiakos and is it only this charity you have a grudge against. I for one think they do a great job and paphos would be in a very bad position without them

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:41 pm 
Rock Star

I have to say I agree with Gary. If I had a grudge against an organisation or indeed just wanted some information from them then I would do everything in my power to get that information BUT this would not involve posting on this type of Forum and just stirring up trouble. Go to the top Maggie 6 but be big enough to do it yourself and not trying to make the bullets for someone else to fire.
Regarding sending delegates to various annual conferences, I would suggest that most companies find it cost effective to send delegates - for example promoting your business or Charity, making contacts etc etc
Lastly if anyone wants to criticise how any organisation or Charity is run then I would suggest that they get themselves involved and on the Board or whatever and then they can have their say quite legitimately. :soap

I'll get off my soap box now and just say that I have absolutely nothing to do with Paphiakos, I do not work there either voluntarily or paid and my only contact with them has been when I had my beautiful dog from there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:57 am 

I only know what I have seen with my own eyes, my own opinion of paphiakos was thrown into question some years ago at the epi fete, they were offering donkey rides at the paphiakos stand, I watched in horror a teenager who was far too tall for the animal going for a donkey ride, the donkey stopped for a pee, and the paphiakos volunteers, they were wearing paphiakos t shirts, began to shout at and hit the donkey with a piece of bamboo. It only wanted to pee. This is not the usual actions of an animal sanctuary.

Paphiakos is invaluable yes, but they are not a law unto themselves and they should have to answer to somebody.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 pm 

SO if you saw the donkeys being hit with a bamboo stick did you call the police at the time or report the person doing the abuse to Paphiakos so the person concerned could be disciplined or sacked or do you just like to stir things up on this forum

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:09 pm 

I like to stick to facts, and thought I may have got answers on this Forum because some of their "Management" are members. The last time I was on their premises I was spoken to in a "less than polite" manner by a Senior figure because I dared to ask some financial questions. If I choose to now communicate via e-mail, that doesn't make my concerns any less valid.

Fact: I have asked for, and have not received accounts.
Fact: I would possibly like to attend an AGM but can't find out where and when?
Fact: I asked for clarification on some of their spending - no response.

Fact: They do provide a 24/7 emergency service - and never turn an animal away.
Fact: They do provide a great service to the Paphos community.
Fact: In the absence of a "Paphos Municipal Pound" they are filling in a much-needed gap.

If you disagree with a post - then attack the post - not the poster - because all posts (on any topic) can cause divergence of opinions.

I will now wait for a response to my queries via more "formal" routes as there is no point posting on this thread any more, I didn't get any of the information requested, and the "slanging match" has obviously started.

P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:25 am 
Major

beverley wrote:

Hi All,

PARC spends 100 cents out of every 1 euro donated on the animals. There are NO paid staff. We are VOLUNTEERS.
If anyone want to leave any money to a good cause (or wishes to donate now of course) please contact us

( Although perhaps that is also why we desperately need more people to help us too ??? :there )

thanks

Sue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm 
Star

Hi Sue

I have read many of the comments for and against the organization , and it seems a simple issue to resolve all these doubts , by I would suggest opening a " Drop Box " account . then posting on that particular site the Accounts and Records , which I guess should be available for anyone to view being a charity .

All this bad air is not doing the Charity or moreover the animals any use , and is putting into peoples minds , that by not posting there must be something untoward that the team and the organization do not want people who have donated , ( In these very difficult times ) , there I would not say spare cash , but money they want to help animals .

So can someone in plain and simple terms , either post the accounts or explain why the reluctance to do so .

We have given in the past but all this doubt , makes me wonder the next time , and we love animals .

Regards

Les

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body