Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:59 pm 
Junior

With the safety, welfare and health of dogs in the shelter being paramount, it is our policy to house new dogs in an individual pen for approximately 10 to 14 days. This allows our Kennel Consultants to ensure that the dog is not suffering from any contagious disease and to assess their general well-being and temperament before moving them to a section containing other dogs. If you find a stray or abandoned dog, in the first instance, please telephone 99683775 before bringing the dog to the shelter. This will allow us to check if we have a suitable single pen available to take the dog on that day and it may also save you a wasted journey. In the event that the shelter is full, we will ask you to keep the dog and phone back in a couple of days time when we may be in a better position to accommodate the dog.

It is unfortunate that the number of abandoned and stray dogs continues to be on the increase in the Paphos area and there are many times when, regrettably, the PAWS Dog Shelter is filled to capacity.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:14 pm 
Top of the pops

kerri wrote:
If you find a stray or abandoned dog, in the first instance, please telephone 99683775 before bringing the dog to the shelter.[/b] This will allow us to check if we have a suitable single pen available to take the dog on that day and it may also save you a wasted journey. In the event that the shelter is full, we will ask you to keep the dog and phone back in a couple of days time when we may be in a better position to accommodate the dog.

I am not a doggy person but living in a rural area we do get abandoned hunting dogs. They chase our cats - sh*** on the veranda and we have nowhere to keep untrained hunting dogs, particularly as we work. The above attitude means that I no longer load up the strays in my double cab and take them down to any charity. So we give them water and then chase them off. We have adopted cats here, but I draw the line at setting up a canine holding facility for any doggy charity. I won't be phoning. :rain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:14 pm 
Top of the pops

As much as it pains me to say this,it is time that the Cyprus vetenary society (or whoever the government body is) did a cull of all wild,stray and ill treated dogs. The Island is over run with them and cannot sustain the upkeep of so many. I know that hundreds of perfectly healthy puppies are put down every month when old,sick and badly injured dogs have thousands spent on them in Vet fees,in my opinion a waste of badly needed funds which could be used to sterilise and re home healthy animals.
If well meaning people would also stop feeding feral cats you would not have the rat problem you have now. I have 2 cats who I love and look after so am not anti animals,I just think enough is enough and agree with PD that you cannot look after them all.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body