Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 am

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canine Leishmaniosis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:34 am 
Top of the pops

I was surprised to find that there is now a vaccine to prevent this, but at a cost. First blood tests need to be done - my vet charges 35 euro a time, then three injections at three weekly intervals, now he quoted 50 euro, not sure whether that was 50 euro for each one or 50 euro for the three, but I have the feeling it is each one as he stated that so much research and money has gone into it that the drug company need to get the initial investment back. So for me to do my three dogs it would cost be 555 euro :shock:

Wonder how many dogs will actually be done to prevent this disease?

Anyway, I took this bit from the leaflet as forewarned is forearmed so to speak.

"Canine leishmaniosis is caused by a parasitic infection, which is transmitted between dogs by the bites of infected sandflies, often wrongly referred to as mosquitos.

Signs to look for in an infected dog include fever, hair loss (particularly around the eyes), weight loss, skin sores and nail problems. Internal organs are also affected, which can lead to anaemia, arthritis and severe kidney failure."

Hope this helps someone as leishmaniosis is not rare on the island at all.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject: Re: Canine Leishmaniosis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:43 pm 
Top of the pops

Some friends of ours had to have their beautiful dog Charlie put to sleep today due to this vile disease - he was diagnosed with this last august and they had him treated at great expense and we all thought he was recovering, but then his kidneys stared to fail and nothing the vet tried helped.

So we had our dogs tested today and have started the vaccinations - yes, it will cost a total of €370 for them both, but better that than the pain we saw on our friends faces today when they came out of the treatment room without charlie :-(

chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:47 pm 
Top of the pops

Chris, sorry to hear about your friends dog, Charlie. I bet they are devastated and my heart goes out to them. It is a horrible disease, but I have two dogs that are now seniors, one with a bad heart and the vet won't even operate for a nasty wart on her as he doesn't think her heart will take it, so not going to put them through it, as if I do one I would have to do all of them (it is just me treating them all the same).

Must admit having seen a lot of dogs with this disease, if any of mine got it (God forbid) I will have them put to sleep peacefully & not put them through the pain - my opinion only that the disease gives them too much pain for them to put up with. Now I bet I am ripped apart, but I have seen the pain on a dog and it just isn't worth seeing them in the pain they have.

RIP Charlie

I am trying to find out if the Scaribor collar can be sent here as it is supposed to be good against the sand fly which causes it - so far everyone I have contacted it has been a no, no, unless someone wants to come in with me and we get Lee to bring a few over - they are approx 13-15GBP per collar (depending on size) and last about six months, although in this climate I would rather replace them every 4 months (just my opinion).

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 pm 
Master

Candy wrote:
I was surprised to find that there is now a vaccine to prevent this, but at a cost. First blood tests need to be done - my vet charges 35 euro a time, then three injections at three weekly intervals, now he quoted 50 euro, not sure whether that was 50 euro for each one or 50 euro for the three, but I have the feeling it is each one as he stated that so much research and money has gone into it that the drug company need to get the initial investment back. So for me to do my three dogs it would cost be 555 euro :shock:

Wonder how many dogs will actually be done to prevent this disease?

Anyway, I took this bit from the leaflet as forewarned is forearmed so to speak.

"Canine leishmaniosis is caused by a parasitic infection, which is transmitted between dogs by the bites of infected sandflies, often wrongly referred to as mosquitos.

Signs to look for in an infected dog include fever, hair loss (particularly around the eyes), weight loss, skin sores and nail problems. Internal organs are also affected, which can lead to anaemia, arthritis and severe kidney failure."

Hope this helps someone as leishmaniosis is not rare on the island at all.

Thank you for this info,our dog is suffering thith inflation of the eyes,vet says could be sandflies or a tumour,will have to wait till wednesday to find out. :rain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:11 pm 
Top of the pops

J.AND.K wrote:
Thank you for this info,our dog is suffering thith inflation of the eyes,vet says could be sandflies or a tumour,will have to wait till wednesday to find out. :rain

Now that surprises me tbh as we took our dogs to Yiannis Stylianou in Chlorakas (best vet bar none) and he tested both of them there and then, and gave us the results...............

...............anyway, have now heard from the step-daughter who lived here for 2 years and went back 2 years ago, that one of her dogs has now developed the symptoms and has had it tested for this vile disease, and it has come back positive........its more drawn out in the UK as it is not endemic so they don't keep the test kits in each surgery routinely.

chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:25 pm 
Junior

I bought 2 scaribor collars for my little fella from medicanimal as our vet in uk recommended them. They were buy one get one half price. I will be buying more at some point as I need to go back to uk for a couple of days soon. They'll be worth every penny if they work

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 am 
Top of the pops

J&K, hope the results were favourable and none of what was suspected. Let us know.

Chris (Judge) - not all vets here have the facilities. My vet Aris in Konia was one of the first to have the facilities for blood testing and all the other vets sent it to him (a lot still do).

Rhodes 4712 - thanks for that website, have contacted them with costs of sending here, so just a matter of waiting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:54 am 
Top of the pops

J& K, Chris, so sorry to hear your news, it's so awful when our pets get sick. Really hope they pull through. Trish, let me know about collars, may get for my two.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:53 pm 
Rock Star

Hi

I could be wrong but I am sure Scaribor is the collar that we have on our dog - it is white and we get it from Drs Nicholas and Annie in Peyia next to the Post Office I'm sure they told me taht it is for tics and sand flies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Can't get it direct to Cyprus as it is "medication"

Will see if my vet can get it or I will contact the vet in Peyia Bossyboots - do you have a tel no I could ring them with - thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:45 pm 
Top of the pops

Try these people http://www.petremedies.co.uk/Flea-Control/For-the-Pet/Scalibor-Collars/p-123-125-845/

They said to me they will ship our Effipro spot-on pippettes to anywhere in the world, so might be worth asking them first

chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:22 am 
Idol

Scalibor collars are available from Paphiakos clinic and if I remember correctly the price is about €13.15. The collars are active when wet and they also control Fleas and Ticks. Care should be taken when using these collars as some dogs can have a reaction to them.
In my opinion if you have dogs that live inside there is no need to use these collars.

The Sand Fly is most active between sunset and sunrise and between the months of May to September.

Trish, I don't think it is right to frighten people by saying you have seen lots of dogs with this disease, okay there are cases of it in certain areas of Cyprus but the risk of contacting Leishmaniasis here is not high.

A Dog is for Life not Just for Cyprus.
(I wish more people would remember this)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 am 
Top of the pops

I have to disagree with you Sue as I think people should be aware that it is here on the island and shows on here that there are dogs that are getting it. My dogs at the moment love to sit outside most evenings and if they could would stay outside all night as it is a bit cooler than the house so even though they do not stay outside all night they are still at risk. All collars can have an adverse affect on dogs, not just these ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 am 
Top of the pops

Thanks Chris.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:02 am 
Top of the pops

Suzy Wong wrote:
Trish, I don't think it is right to frighten people by saying you have seen lots of dogs with this disease, okay there are cases of it in certain areas of Cyprus but the risk of contacting Leishmaniasis here is not high.

Suzy - I have to be honest and say that until last year I would have agreed with you, but since then one of our neighbours lost a dog to this disease, another lost 2, our friends in Stroumbi lost one of their dogs, my step-daughter has discovered one of her dogs has contracted it, and that was from living in our village from 2 years ago, and that dog never left the village apart from arriving at Pafos Airport and leaving the same way (we are 1000ft ASL), and we have picked up 2 stray dogs on the Agia Varvara road with end-stage leishmaniosis and they were put down at Paphiakos.

I would suggest that with the very wet winter weather we have an increase in the number of sand flies, and hence an increased risk of catching this disease over previous years.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:13 pm 
Top of the pops

Chris - it has been around for a long time and obviously shelters try to keep it quiet as all shelters have their animals outside at night as unfortunately none of them are in a position to house inside.

I bought my three their collars from Dr Aris in Konia, so they are now widely available here and really the same price as uk or even cheaper if you get a discount :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:54 am 
Top of the pops

These new collars certainly don't work against ticks as stated on the box as we took 10+ from Keo yesterday and that was only in one day (trust him to stick his head in a load of them) and a number of them were exactly underneath the collar (or fleas as when I rescued a puppy the other week it was alive with fleas and yep, my lot got them, so still trying to get rid of the little b***ars). :lol:

Now how do I manage with one Killtick collar, one Scalibar and one Flea collar - nope don't think so and unfortunately it will be the Killtick collar as I just can't stand ticks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:17 am 
Top of the pops

We use Efipro which seems to be more effective than "Spot-on" these days - and we are having the vaccinations for Leishmania - expensive to start with, but effective.

chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:51 am 

Judge wrote:
and we are having the vaccinations for Leishmania. chris

Do they jab your arm, or is it a "trousers down" job? :crylaughin

Sorry - I'll get my coat :oops: :lol:

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Judge wrote:
We use Efipro which seems to be more effective than "Spot-on" these days - and we are having the vaccinations for Leishmania - expensive to start with, but effective.

chris

Gone through the vacs once, but I was led to believe that Efipro is Frontline with a new name. :roll:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body