The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:27 am

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calling Suzy Wong
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:02 pm 
Rock Star

Hi Sue

Please can you try to help this beautiful cream coloured hunting dog that has been abandoned and roaming around Tala Village probably since Christmas. I feed him when I see him as I know do others but I am now most concerned about him as he is shaking and wheezing and obviously not well. He will not let anyone get nearer than about 6 - 8 feet from him - that is the problem. He is not nasty at all just very very wary . He will even follow me around the village when he knows I have food but again at a distance.

We live in an apartment so have no secure space that I could possibly lure him into.

I just don't know what I can do to help him. He is obviously intelligent as when he has eaten the food he will look up at my balcony as though to thank me and when I talk to him he listens but I cannot break through to get close to him.

I have phoned Paphiakos but they say they can only help if I can tie him up which obviously I can't!

Post subject: Re: Calling Suzy Wong
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:30 pm 
Idol

Hi,
You have to gain the dog's confidence before you can do anything!
You can try sitting quietly when you feed the dog placing the food bowl at a distance. You then need to gradually move the bowl nearer to where you are sitting until you can eventually touch the dog. If you are lucky this could take a few days but be prepared to wait longer.
The other alternative is to get a dog trap and bait it with nice strong smelling food. Paphiakos have these traps but a deposit will be asked for (as the traps are very expensive to replace) and this will be given back to you when the trap is returned to the clinic.

A Dog is for Life not Just for Cyprus.
(I wish more people would remember this)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:12 pm 
Rock Star

Time is running out for this poor creature. I am no nearer to gaining his trust. He will follow me all around the village but 6 feet is the very nearest I can get to him. I don't know if he found shelter in all the rain last night but he is now so poorly that his breath is rasping but still we cannot get him. There is no way that we could get him into a trap - he would not even eat the meat I laced with worming tablets.

If anyone has a secure garden in Tala that they can lure him into then please try. You can then call me and I will arrange collection etc and possibly we could sponsor him for a short while as I am sure he would make someone a lovely companion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 pm 
Rock Star

Time really did run out for this beautiful dog last week as he was run over and killed. We were so close to gaining his confidence - he would follow us all around the village and wait in the garage for food but sadly he still kept a distance . Thanks to Geoff from Petzstuff who lent us a choker lead to try to catch him and everyone else in Tala who tried to help him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:20 am 
Top of the pops

Oh I am so sorry, poor little thing. At least you tried your very best to help, good on you.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body