Post subject: hurra!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:19 pm 
Graduate

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/sand- ... t/20110910

:congrats

Post subject: Re: hurra!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:26 pm 
Idol

I sincerely hope the owners clean up after their dogs, unlike the smokers who just put out their cigarettes in the sand. Some of the beaches around Paphos are like sunbathing in an ashtray!!!!!

I remember the first time I came to Cyprus, went to Protaras and EVERY morning a tractor was out raking and cleaning the sand at Fig Tree Bay and other beaches.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 pm 
Top of the pops

What a shame,we can now add dog Urine and poo to the fag ends,empty tins,bottles,cartons,carrier bags,broken toys,discarded food and the rest of the detritus humans and their 4 legged friends leave on once beautiful beaches.Another example of finding any way to put tourists off coming to Cyprus on holiday or enjoying the beach when you live here.
In my humble opinion dogs and uncaring humans do not belong on beaches at any time and that includes parks where children play and adults relax.
I know that many dog owners are responsible but the vast majority of others are not so once you let any dogs on the beach you are going to have poo and wee. I actually don't fancy laying on the beach when a big dog cocks his leg up on my beach umbrella and squats and poos right next to me. Yes it does happen so there is no denying it. It is also dangerous if dogs run loose where children are playing and the children scare the dog and it bites them.( My son still bears the scars from a loose dog on a beach).
I am a dog lover but there are more suitable places to take them for a walk .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 am 
Rock Star

It is only one beach in the whole of Paphos so if anyone does not like dogs on the beach then surely just use of of the many other beaches?
There are so so many places that dogs are not welcome that this is a major triumph so please don't spoil it!

I have to agree though that all dog owners should be responsible and clean up after them

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 am 
Top of the pops

I don't think that is an entirely fair description. Yes do do mess, and it is up to their owners to clear up. Sadly humans are responsible for all the mess in the world! I don' see why, out of the hundreds of miles of beach they have here that dogs and their owners can't enjoy a tiny piece of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Sadly it will not remain "just a small part of the island's beaches",it will merely set a precedent for all beaches to be considered "dog friendly" as you will get people saying " well we can use beach "A" so why can't we use beaches b to z"?
Once you allow it on 1 beach per area it will escalate to all beaches and then there will be more "no go" areas for beach lovers,locals and holiday makers.
I know I sound unsympathetic to dogs and their owners but it is a sad fact that the owners that do control their dogs and clean up after them are certainly in the minority and so once again they suffer because of the majority.
I regularly watch about 20 dogs a day being walked in the hills behind our apartment,mostly British but some Cypriots and not once have I ever seen any of them come back down with a bag of their dog's leavings so it is all left up there for walkers to step in and to attract flies and other vermin. There are quite enough stray dogs as we all know pooing all over the island without attracting them to the beaches as well.
Sorry folks you will not find me celebrating this newest piece of legislation.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body