The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preparing Dogs to UK
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:13 am 
Top of the pops

Preparation

1. Have your dog microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. The microchip number and vaccination details and dates must be entered in a European Pet Passport.
2. Then you must wait 4 weeks.
3. Return to the vet with the dog and get him to take a blood sample to be sent to a registered laboratory, usually either in the UK or Athens, to be tested for rabies antigens. It will take about 2 to 3 weeks for the results to come back (apparently Athens can be quicker but no guarantee that they come back at all :shock: ).
4. Once a positive result is obtained...
5. The vet will enter the date the sample was taken and the test results into the dog’s Pet Passport.
6. You must then wait 6 months from the date the blood sample was taken.
7. Then you can send your dog, cargo only, to the UK...

Costs
As for costs, preparing the dog as above is dependent on the individual vet’s charges. It is well worth shopping around as some vets are considerably more expensive than others…you should expect to pay no more than €300 and some vets will charge a great deal less.

Unless you can keep the dog yourself until it is ready to travel to the UK you then have to cover the cost of boarding the dog for the 7 months waiting period.

Shipping costs at the moment are standing at around €650 to send a small dog to Heathrow. (I believe that there are now other airports, but be 100% sure before you send, as some are not as experienced as Heathrow are and might be worth the travelling in the UK for the sake of the dog).
You must also ensure that you giev your dog a yearly rabies booster for UK. Other parts of Europe are only every two years.

Compliments of CYDRA (Cyprus Dogs Rehoming Association) and Eve (of course) :D

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject: Re: Preparing Dogs to UK
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:56 pm 
Idol

I will just add a couple of points to Trish's post.

Regarding the Rabies vaccination you must keep it up to date. If you let it go even one day over the year the whole process of vaccinating and blood testing will have to be repeated! This means that your dog will have to wait another seven months in total before it can travel to the UK.

Your dog must also have all other vaccinations current.

Also before your dog travels to the UK it must have a health check (fit to travel) and parasite treatment (worming, tick and flea treatment) 24 to 48 hrs before travelling. The date and time of these will also be entered in the Passport and it will be signed and stamped.

The only airports at present that will receive animals in to the UK are Heathrow and Manchester. I think Gatwick also receive livestock but I am not one hundred per cent sure so I will check it out and get back to you.

A Dog is for Life not Just for Cyprus.
(I wish more people would remember this)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 pm 
Idol

As an update to my last post I can confirm that Gatwick receives dogs in to the UK also Bristol and Doncaster but flights to these two airports are limited.

Regarding sending off a blood sample for testing, if it is sent to the UK the results will take a few weeks to come back. If the sample is sent to Athens it will take about four months!

I will also add to my post that no dogs can travel by air into the UK as excess baggage from anywhere in the world, they have to travel as cargo.

A Dog is for Life not Just for Cyprus.
(I wish more people would remember this)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 am 

that infor was helpfull
i have to go back to england december and need someone to help me transport my puppy pwee after 1st january with the new laws this is hard work? can anybody help with this greatly apprecialted. sheis microchipped, vac and got passport just awaiting rabies info

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:43 pm 
Top of the pops

I am of the understanding that the rules regarding rabies vaccinations are changing from the beginning of January 2012 so best check with the authorities as waiting a wee while could make sense.

It means only teenagers need vaccinations and a period in kennels when they return.....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 pm 

Our little pooch travels over here twice a year with us, we can only take him back at this time of year via Manchester as Thomsonfly and Thomas Cook have stopped flying pets into Gatwick until next year, stopped on 31st October and have stopped from Paphos we have to take him to Larnaca. Ba used to do Paphos-Gatwick but became to expensive. Our pooch gets a frequent flyer discount, generally we travel with Thomsonfly, Monarch also take dogs, the cost for us is normally £400-425 each way, then the vet fee for 'tick and tape' here, Uk vet has said he doesn't need that on way to Cyprus. Don't know if this info will help. He always knows when he's going, when his carrier comes out, whilst he doesn't really like it, I believe he sleeps most of the way and the carrier is always 'dry' when we pick him up the other end.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 am 

Correction: Cats and dogs no longer need to have a blood test to enter the UK from Cyprus. Miniumum age for a rabies jab is three months. Animals can travel 21 days after their rabies jab so not necessary to do it yearly.

Flea, tick and tapeworm (dogs only) is required 24-120 hours (1 to 5 days) before arrival into UK. Vet still needs to sign passport and certify as "fit to fly".

Gatwick, Heathrow, Manchester, Doncaster and Bristol all accept livestock but not all year round.

Before you book your flight, confirm with the airline that the plane is suitable to carry live cargo (not all are) otherwise your pet might have to go on a different flight.

Check out this link for more info

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/

If any one gets stuck or needs help, send me an email; [email protected]

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body