Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:54 pm

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pet Insurance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:02 pm 
Graduate

I would like some advice please regarding Pet Insurance.

I currently have Tesco International Pet Insurance - I've had it for years without claiming then in December I claimed for my Maltese having some teeth out (£250) and found out today teeth not covered etc etc - I wasn't surprised because I know they very rarely pay out!

My questions are: do I need (ie legally) to have Pet Insurance in Cyprus (we had to in Germany), and if so, could someone recommended which Insurance Company; or should I just stay with Tesco - who obviously I'm not happy with!

We are moving back to Cyprus this year so if it is a requirement I will just continue paying my monthly premium and not cancel my direct debit - which is what I really feel like doing!
:dogdance

~The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose~

Post subject: Re: Pet Insurance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 pm 
Rock Star

Hi Julie. You say that you are moving back to Cyprus. We believe that the Tesco policy will not cover you. It will cover for foreign travel. But your permenant home has to be in the UK.

I know of no requirement to have pet insurance here. But it is wise to keep your pets passport up to date as most of us do.

D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:29 pm 
Graduate

Hello Dudley and thanks for the reply.

You are absolutely correct! I've just called Tesco Pet Ins and they confirmed that my policy only covered foreign travel and not a permanent move out of UK!

Good job I checked - I've just cancelled it anyway so will get some form of cover when we arrive. The pet passports are all up to date - I think?? More expense ...... it is such an expensive job moving between countries!

Anyway, thanks again - you have been a real help :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 am 
Graduate

Some time ago, I asked Atlantic Insurance re: pet cover, they informed me that the only insurance you "need" for a pet is to cover you,if it attacks someone and causes injury. As for health type insurance, the did not know of any company offering such a policy.
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:06 pm 
Junior

Teddymou,

That's a strange reply from Atlantic as we have our dog insured with them and have had for the last three and a half years.

There are three levels of cover, Silver, Gold and Platinum (I think). The policy covers vet fees, if you have to kennel your dog if you are hospitalised, death, third party liability, etc.

They paid up very promptly for recent vet fees.

I wonder if they have stopped for new enquiries. Maybe worth another call?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:38 pm 
Graduate

Thanks Teddymou and Fiona.

It sounds like cover is not essential by law, but I would feel more comfortable if I had cover for vet fees etc. I'll check out Atlantic once we arrive.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:27 pm 
Master

With regards to Atlantic Insurance Co - they are being cute! They cater for pet insurance - but only if you have your home insurance with them! Don't ask me why - but this is how they work. Unfortunately, having been with them since 1999, I changed to another insurance company on a good recommendation, better service, cheaper rates, run by Brits and Lloyds underwritten, who is looking into catering for pet insurance also - I am waiting for their feedback. Until then I went back to Atlantic for pet insurance they told me that they do not do pet insurance!

Luv & hugs

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body