Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 1:44 pm

The Paphos People Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stray Kitten
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:21 am 

There's a few stray kittens up at our local taverna. Nothing usual in that. This little kitten last night started following us, again nothing that usual. We hadn't fed it or touch it. The few times we had a cat follow us it stops after about 50metres. But this one kept following all the way home, which is an awfully long way for a kitten. The walk right into our house.
We did feed it at this point. It still won't let it touch it, seem odd to trust us to follow us all the way but then we can't touch it. Unfortunately, our existing cat Tavy really doesn't seem to like it and seem a bit scared of it (she's a fully grown cat and it's only little kitten).
Now it's outside under my car at the moment. We would keep it if Tavy started like it and we could actually touch it. Not sure what to do now.

Managed to get photo when it was under the dinner room table.

Post subject: Re: Stray Kitten
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:44 am 
Web-Site Admin

Do you know if the kitten is a girl or a boy? I think that can make quite a big difference in how quickly they'll get on together.

Found some decent advice on here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090616192454AAmCfMG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:06 pm 

Our cat is female. Not sure about the kitten, not go close enough to stroke it never mind check the other end.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:24 pm 

Don't give up. We were in a similar situation a few months ago when a 6 week old male kitten appeared under my car. We have two other adult cats, one male and one female. Both of them were not impressed with the new arrival initially with lots of hissing and yowling. The male seemed to get used to the kitten quicker and the female whilst I don't think will ever be the best of friends, has learned to tolerate him - but she is the more aggressive of the two anyway. The kitten is just a bit boisterous at times so you have to watch him. You need to introduce them to each other gradually and eventually the the older cat get used to the kitten being around. We have also had a cat that didn't like being touched but with perseverance it came round. We found the best time to try and touch him was when he was eating - whilst his mind was on other things!! Hope it works out for you. I know it's a lot of hard work but it'll be worth it I'm sure.

Karen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:47 pm 

Just a bit of an up date.

Our existing cat still doesn't like it. The kitten is trying to be friends. The kitten came all the way up to our cat before it start hissing this morning. A few moments later, our cat did do a false attack, which is only this I've see her pick up in paw in anger.

We managed to touch the kitten a few times now. Dean has even pick it up twice and given it a good stroke, which it really enjoy lots of purring. Unfortunately, it seems to be still very nervous even through it was just stroke by you a few moments ago.
Unfortunately, I'm going back to the UK and the kitten has calmed down enough to take him to the vets (Dean can't drive so it's tricky for just him).
Hopefully, Tavy, will get use to it, she normally very nice and relax cat. She gets bullied by our neighbours cat, I think she may even be more frighten of the kitten. It would be nice of her to have a friend.

After thinking about it I don't think male/female thing can make much different. As I know a fair number of people with loads of cats and they are mixed female/male.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body