Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Train from China!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:42 pm 
Top of the pops

First train to travel from China to Uk, and will be traveling back with shedloads of UK products for the Chinese market!! Way to go Brexit!!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transpor ... 43756.html

Post subject: Re: Train from China!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 pm 

What the devil does it have to do with Brexit George?

"This rail expansion is part of President Xi's "One Belt, One Road" (OBOR) trade policy. For Beijing it offers another way to sustain its economic growth."

"London is the 15th European city to be served by freight trains from China."

"The new weekly service is thought to be quicker than a container ship and half the price of air freight."

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38654176

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:15 am 
Top of the pops

Just meaning that not all UK trade is dependent on being in the EU and this is just another step up in the trade UK already does with the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 am 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Just meaning that not all UK trade is dependent on being in the EU and this is just another step up in the trade UK already does with the rest of the world.

Yes, George.
The Chinese are willing to take quality goods from the UK, to their richer inhabitants, on the return journeys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 pm 
Rock Star

Quote:
The Chinese are willing to take quality goods from the UK, to their richer inhabitants, on the return journeys.

I suppose this means that the UK will now also (as is the case in Cyprus) be inundated more frequently with substandard, low priced, chinese crap products?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:07 pm 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:

I suppose this means that the UK will now also (as is the case in Cyprus) be inundated more frequently with substandard, low priced, chinese crap products?

There has been Chinese products available, world-wide, for centuries.
It just depends on which quality of product you wish to purchase.
Don't forget, it was called 'The Silk Route' ..... As a child, I had several items of clothing made from Shantung ( a beautiful, hard wearing silk ).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:28 pm 
Rock Star

Maybe many moons ago chinese products were of high quality but rarely is that the case now I think. Before we came out here my husbands last job was working for a Gas Fire Manufacturer. It used to be a canadian firm but someone I can't remember who took it over and outsourced a lot of the work to china. The Fires then came back to Stoke for finishing and quality control - most of these fires were assembled so badly that they had to be rebuilt in the Stoke factory so whether or not it was cost effective I don't know but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:59 am 
Idol

Bossy Boots wrote:
Maybe many moons ago chinese products were of high quality but rarely is that the case now I think.

A friend of mine got a job consulting a Chinese firm that made gas meters on their quality control issues. He didn't last very long though, for two reasons.

Firstly he found that the Chinese were incredibly resistant to stuff that introduced extra cost into the production process, but mainly I suspect because the flat he had been assigned was on the route between the local prison and the local football stadium along which every Sunday they would march the weeks batch of prisoners on the way to be executed, which I think he found a little too dramatic for his taste

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body