Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fair deal for expats?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 am 
Star

British expats living in the EU are suing European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker over his order to prevent informal Brexit discussions.

Mr Juncker insists there can be no negotiations until the UK triggers Article 50 - the withdrawal process.

The expat group wants immediate talks about the implications of Brexit for Britons living in other EU countries.

UK Prime Minister Theresa May has pledged to trigger Article 50 by the end of March.
But she also called for "preparatory work" with EU governments - before the official negotiations - to help smooth the process of UK withdrawal.

The non-profit association Fair Deal for Expats has issued a legal challenge against Mr Juncker at the European Court of Justice (ECJ). The group alleges that his "presidential order" concerning Brexit discussions is an "unlawful gagging order" which "must be annulled immediately".
Croft Solicitors, representing the expats in the case, told the BBC that "there is no such thing as a presidential order" in the European Commission.
Mr Juncker and some other European politicians have warned against an "a la carte" deal for the UK which might encourage other EU members to cherry-pick EU policies, unravelling the rulebook.

In a speech on 28 June, four days after the Leave campaign won the UK referendum, Mr Juncker said: "I have forbidden Commissioners from holding discussions with representatives from the British Government - by Presidential order, which is not my style.
"I have told all the [Commission] Directors-General that there cannot be any prior discussions with British representatives. No notification, no negotiation."

On Friday Mr Juncker insisted again that the EU must not compromise on free movement of labour during the Brexit divorce talks.
It is among the EU's cherished four freedoms - the others being free movement of capital, goods and services - that members of the EU single market have to respect.
Speaking in Paris, Mr Juncker said "you can't have one foot in and one foot out".
"On that point we must be intransigent. I can see the manoeuvring."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37586587

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:41 am 
Rock Star

Why should the EU have conversations about the UK leaving when the UK has not yet officially said it is leaving.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:54 am 
Top of the pops

Juncker & Co. can 'yell & scream' as much as they want ..... but they cannot stop individuals/interested parties from indulging in informal discussions (except, probably with North Korea or 'certain sections' of Turkey).
Deals can be arranged (behind closed doors) which can be implemented as soon as Brexit is actioned.
All it takes are the 'signatures on pre-decided agreements' !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:30 pm 
Top of the pops

I really have to laugh at the term " free movement of goods and services".
When importing our Pajero in 2005 we were hit with a demand for Cy£ 18k import duty, needless to say we shipped it back and returned to the uk with it. Considering it was 12 years old and worth about £ 3K you can see my point.
It would appear that most EU countries do not follow the rules and this is one of the reasons 17500 million people voted out. No level playing field is to blame.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body