Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:50 pm 
Major

Hello all,
Does anyone know whether Alpha Bank Cyprus make any charge for closing an account, if so is there a way around the charge e.g. leaving a low amount of euros in the account etc.?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:19 pm 
Major

windowsxp10 wrote:
Hello all,
Does anyone know whether Alpha Bank Cyprus make any charge for closing an account, if so is there a way around the charge e.g. leaving a low amount of euros in the account etc.?
Thanks

Hi,
we hadn't used our Alpha account for sometime, when I did go to draw money out I couldn't, although they were letting me pay money in. The reason was it hadn't been used for more than 3 months so it then becomes dormant. To be able to use the account again you have to answere pages of questions in the bank. May be you should draw out your money and then don't use the account it will be automatically be closed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:56 pm 
Top of the pops

My mother has been trying to close her Alpha Bank account for about a year. Her debit card has expired so she cannot draw money out.

She has mobility issues and cannot get to the bank without a lot of discomfort and difficulty. I have been there numerous times with letters from her instructing them to close the account and they just refuse to do it.

IMHO they are a complete waste of space. We now use Bank of Cyprus and they couldn't be any more different. Friendly, helpful and they actually let you draw your money out!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:52 am 
Rock Star

Do Alpha Bank do cheque books?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:55 am 
Star

I think that they do cheque books, at BOC its €10 for a book.
If you leave a small amount in they will probably charge for statements and when the money runs out they will probably put more charges on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:38 am 
Top of the pops

kato paphos wrote:
Do Alpha Bank do cheque books?

Yes they do, but it doesn't work for us as Mum moved house 2 years ago, since when they have refused to change her address unless she goes into the branch and are knowingly sending her statements to an address where she no longer lives (and where there doesn't seem to be any post when we ask) so she has no idea what the balance is!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Just leave a couple of euros in the account and forget it. They don't know where she now lives, so what are they going to do.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body