Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:01 am 
Major

Hello,
Now the criminals have shown their hand and are blatantly taking our money, does anyone know the best course of action to get euros to Cyprus?
The options could have included getting Cyprus the title deeds sorted which would have given Cyprus an enormous amount of money, or a short term tax on fuel and goods, or taxing the rich at 15% and not starting the tax until the 100,000 euro deposit level had been reached and many others I am sure the Paphos People forum could think of.
The men inflicting this theft are supposed to be financial wiz kids and stayed up all night to get to this non-sense decision.
It seems that once again Germany is dictating to the world.
The UK government in it's wisdom have frozen UK pensions that are paid directly to Cypriot banks and are suggesting that you change banks to a UK bank. What then, we still need euros in Cyprus.
Any ideas anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 am 

Quote:
Any ideas anyone?

Take the soft option, like the politicians! :banghead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:42 am 

We wait - and see what happens, just like everyone else in Cyprus....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:20 am 

CypruswithBabies wrote:
We wait - and see what happens, just like everyone else in Cyprus....

Fully agree, we just have to suck it and see at present...also....despite the title....they haven't actually taken any money from us yet

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:38 am 
Junior

Hi

We left the bulk of our money in the UK. We wait until the rate is around the 1.20 mark and get a firm called Currency Solutions and another called Smart Currency Solutions to change 10.000euros at a time. They don't charge a commission or if they do we dont see it as we always get 12.000 euro for our 10,000 pounds. So we're quite happy.
We used to use Bank of Cyprus to hold the money so we can use it as and when we want to but since all this has been going on and the bank decided to srart making stupid high charges we just put the cheque in and then withdraw it.
Things are very unstable everywhere at the moment.
The best thing is to keep hold of your cash and keep it under the bed where no one would look :doh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:19 am 

jetset wrote:
The best thing is to keep hold of your cash and keep it under the bed where no one would look :doh

The knicker drawer is also a safe bet, no self-respecting burglar would ever think of looking in there :crylaughin :smilielol

Slight change of subject - while the banking crisis continues and more and more people revert to using cash, I bet sales of thongs go down and sales of Bridget Jones' increase. Why? Because there's more room to stash the cash! :smilielol :smilielol

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:43 pm 

Hello
Myself and my husbands pensions are paid into our UK bank account We have a card CAXTONFX and as long as you use internet banking you just go on line and transfer your money to this card and go to any ATM and draw cash Limited to €500 per day and only 2 transactions per day. We have used this card for 2.5 years and never had a problem. You can watch the rate of exchange and if its good load the card and leave it. Check the website and see if this is any use to you. It might not be for everyone.
Regards Liz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:07 am 
Master

All this scaremongering and speculation is not doing anyone any favors.
Sit back and review the true situation, then make your judgment based on fact.
No one knows anything specific at this time.
There are far too many on here who publish opinions with no actual knowlege of the real situation.
Read between the lines and form your own conclusions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:24 am 

lizzybuns wrote:
Hello
Myself and my husbands pensions are paid into our UK bank account We have a card CAXTONFX and as long as you use internet banking you just go on line and transfer your money to this card and go to any ATM and draw cash Limited to €500 per day and only 2 transactions per day. We have used this card for 2.5 years and never had a problem. You can watch the rate of exchange and if its good load the card and leave it. Check the website and see if this is any use to you. It might not be for everyone.
Regards Liz

Is that still the case now in this time of crisis, Liz?
Many reports are now indicating the banks will only accept their own issued ATM cards so BOC will only allow BOC issued cards etc, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:13 am 
Top of the pops

I used my UK cash card yesterday at the Hellenic with no problems.

Lesley

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body