Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:09 pm 

I am going to take a twelve month rental in October. From this forum I have learnt not to pay more than one month in advance and that many of the landlords come from China. I am concerned that a landlord may try an eviction at the beginning of next season to enable them to take advantage of the weekly rentals market.

Can anyone recommend a lease document that is enforceable by law and will repel requests from banks or landlords to change the terms, or do we view Cyprus leases as worthless documents.

Regards

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:04 pm 

The law in Cyprus favours the tenant over the landlord.

The estate agent or your lawyer will have a contract they prefer to use, but some landlords have their own. Before you make the final decision to rent, you should have sight of the rental contract. What if you're an occasional smoker, the subject has not arisen during your search for accommodation, and the contract you are about to sign specifies "no smokers"?????

Before you sign any rental contract, make sure you read it thoroughly - it should show the name and address of the landlord, the name and address of the tenant, the address of the rental property together with details such as garden, specific parking space, furniture and furnishings. The amount of rent and damages deposit, frequency & method of paying and the duration of the lease should be indicated. There should also be one section detailing the landlord's responsibilities and another one detailing the tenant's responsibilities. And of course, the final section is the "what if we can't agree" clause.

Some rental contracts will have penalties indicated - for instance, if the rent is due on 15th monthly, then if it's late, the landlord may charge x% until it's paid.

As you have expressed concern over possible eviction attempts prior to next year's holiday season, I am guessing that your proposed rental accommodation is fully furnished and equipped, because otherwise weekly holiday rentals just don't work - holidaymakers don't generally travel with their own bed, bedding, pots and pans stuffed into their suitcases! :crylaughin

If you are so bothered about the possible future actions of your landlord, why not look elsewhere and find a landlord you feel you can trust?

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:06 pm 

Thanks Kay,

Love cats by the way.

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Signing a 12 month lease could not be your best move. Have you viewed the property and seen who your neighbours are and whether there are barking dogs, holiday rentals all round etc?
There are so many lovely rentals available if one doesn't work out you would not be homeless.
In my experience most leases are not worth the paper they are written on.
Cypriot landlords can be very good and less fussy than British landlords regarding animals etc
but do not always honour any agreement unless it falls in their favour. For example, you pay a months deposit that should be returned at the end of your tenancy but they often do not return it as they have paid it to the agent as a finders fee. To take them to court is useless, takes too long if ever to get to court mainly.
My advice is not to rush into it without being aware of the pitfalls.
I cannot imagine the Chinese are renting their places out .
There is so much competition in the holiday rental market that not many get any bookings which is why a lot of owners are looking for long term rentals now.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:40 pm 
Rock Star

As others have said, a landlord is unlikely to evict a tenant to make use of the holiday let market.
There are hundreds/thousands of empty properties in Cyprus, it's a buyers market.

The contract isn't worth a great deal (like a lot of things) but just trust the folks you deal with and be trustworthy yourself.

Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:38 pm 
Idol

May help your peace of mind......

We recently returned to UK (at the end of April this year) after living 12 years in a rented property (in Limassol). We were 12 years in the SAME rental property we started with, signed agreement for 12 months initially but paying monthly with a private landlord who lived next door to us. We took an unfurnished property as some of our furniture was being shipped from UK plus we brought a dog and 2 cats.

During our time there, my salary payment date changed from the 1st to the 10th of each month. We checked if that was okay with our landlord and he was fine with it. In all our time in the property our landlord never came once to knock on our door at the beginning of the month for our rental payment. We always had to hunt him down so we could give him the money!

So not all landlords are monsters ;) and we eventually ended up with 2 dogs rather than just the one.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body