Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long term rental issue
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:13 am 

Hi,
We arranged a year rental agreement in September last year, to start March 1st 2016. We have just arrived on the island (8th) and the agent met us and was very helpful in arranging electricity / water agreements. On returning to the property yesterday we received a note to contact someone, who I thought was the shipping agent, but turns out to be a guy working on behalf of a bank who are repossessing the property. Do I have any rights ? My possessions arrive on the island shortly and don't want them getting involved in any ownership issues. I have contacted the agent who says it is a mistake, but has asked us to visit a lawyer next week. Any advice would be helpful.

Keith and Kay Harrison

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:46 am 
Star

This happened to my uncle, he foolishly paid a years rent up front and 3 months later the house was repossessed and he and his wife had to move out.
If you have already paid any rent then I suspect that it will be very hard to get it back.
There is not much else you can do, I would start looking at other properties asap.
The agent sounds a bit iffy also, saying its a mistake but get a lawyer. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

Coincidently there is a 2 bed unfurnished townhouse on our complex in Tala for €300 per month. I can send pictures of the Pool/grounds etc if you like. My mobile is 99788384

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:48 am 
Master

be wary its happenng quite often

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:01 pm 
Top of the pops

K&KHarrison wrote:
Hi,
We arranged a year rental agreement in September last year, to start March 1st 2016. We have just arrived on the island (8th) and the agent met us and was very helpful in arranging electricity / water agreements. On returning to the property yesterday we received a note to contact someone, who I thought was the shipping agent, but turns out to be a guy working on behalf of a bank who are repossessing the property. Do I have any rights ? My possessions arrive on the island shortly and don't want them getting involved in any ownership issues. I have contacted the agent who says it is a mistake, but has asked us to visit a lawyer next week. Any advice would be helpful.

Keith and Kay Harrison

How upsetting and worrying for you.
Have you paid any rent at all up to now?
Do not go to a Lawyer, it will cost you money and this is not your fault.
If I were in your position I would tell the agent that you will be going to the police to report this and get some help. This will put the fear of you know who into him/ her and you will get your money back. Plenty of legally available properties to let so you wont be stuck.
You can go to the electricity board etc to sign off for the utilities where you are and sign up for the new rental at the same time. Knowing the banks and how they work I don't think you will be put out on the street anytime soon. Don't panic but get somewhere else as soon as you can. In fact I do wonder as to the truth in the note you got anyway.
Stand up to them, it is the only way you will have any credibility in Cyprus, the Cypriots respect people who won't be threatened or bullied.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:03 pm 
Top of the pops

we are long term renters and only pay our rent as we go, 1 month at a time,
what we do do, is we sign in front of a solicitor, 2 years agreement at a time , which suits us

we paid for our first property 6 months in advance and found that we had terrible neighbors,
so would never agree again to paying so much upfront as you are stuck in a contract on a property that may not suit you

hope that all turns out okay for you
I would most definitely recontact the agent again to get to the bottom of this issue
I would also want to know which bank is supposed to be involved as yes villas here do get repossessed

and yes a mention of the Police and the local Muchtar might help to loosen their tongues,
don.t be fobbed off

and hope that you are able to sort this all out for your stay here

you haven,t said who the agent is or what area you are staying in

best of luck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:24 pm 

Hi Keith and Kay,

Good luck with this, I'm sure you will be OK in the future and have some great times on Cyprus even if you have to move. My wife and I are right behind you with the same plan and are now worried we will use the same people as you did. Can you help us to avoid this local unethical practice?

Alan

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body