Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this a 1st for Cyprus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:32 am 
Graduate

My Non-Eu wife (Filipina) applied through the Cypriot Consulate in Manila for an entry visa so that she could come with me for a holiday in Cyprus (90 days).
Despite supplying all the necessary supporting paperwork (marriage Cert. Birth Cert. and passport in her married name, and a copy of my Uk passport) her visa application was refused.
I spoke with a consular asst. at the Dept. of Foreign Affairs in Nicosia who had dealt with my wifes visa application and was told that the reason for refusal was that the application had been incorrectly completed and parts of the application had been left blank. I know that my wife and I had completed all parts of the application, and the only part that we did not complete was the part of the application that stated "to be completed by consular staff". It transpired that the consular assistant had failed to complete their part.
The Consular assist. advised me that as the wife of an EU citizen, my Non-EU wife DID NOT NEED A VISA. She only needed her passport and a "certfied, original copy of our marriage Cert" to travel with me to Cyprus and she would receive a 90 day visa on arrival. She confirmed this in a seperate mfa.gov.cy email.
With this information, I attempted to book tickets for us to fly from Manila to Larnaka via Dubais. I attempted to book with Emerates Airline and also Gulf Air. Both these airlines refused to give my wife a ticket, stating that my wife needed to have a "pre-arranged entry visa". I advised them of what I had been told by the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs and I attached a copy of the government e-mail verifying that my wife would only need a visa if she was travelling alone to join me in Cyprus. That she can enter Cyprus only with her marriage Cert,. IF SHE IS TRAVELLING WITH ME.
I was told that all the airlines refer to the same "guidline" website. Unfortunately the website to which they refer does not specify that a visa is not required if a non-Eu wife is travelling WITH her EU husband. So although the Cypriot authorities are willing to accept my wife and issue her a 90 day visa on arrival, it is not possible to get the airlines to give her a ticket. Catch 22.
Having explained this to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they have overturned their previous refusal of my wifes visa, and will now issue her a 90 day entry visa and I would like to pass on my gratitude to Mrs Giorgia Charalambous, Consular Assist, MFA, Nocosia.
On a positive note....I have been in consultation with the Security office of Emerates Airlines in Dubais, who are now seeking confirmation from the M. F. A. and say that they are now looking to amend their policy in relation to accompanied non-EU spouses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:51 am 
Rock Star

It took a lot of work but I'm glad it finally worked out for you. Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:32 pm 
Forum Admin

Things are never made easy , but at least you got it sorted ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:13 pm 
Top of the pops

Well done. I really didn't expect such a success when you first outlined your problem. I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 pm 
Forum Admin

in the begining I thought that a marrige certificate was enough to to get a temp visa ,
but someone told me otherwise , these things are so grey you never get the right story

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:53 pm 

Whoopa, great result Screamineagle..Image

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body