Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guernsey wills
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:23 am 
Top of the pops

I'm, reviewing my affairs (as you do) and note that everything is covered by English and Cypriot wills. However, I do have a small bank account in Guernsey. Now I know the legal advice would be to get a Guernsey will written by a Guernsey advocate, but I was wondering if any of you out there have used a more inventive or cheaper way to deal with this.

I also note my English will doesn't cover Scotland, where I also have a small account. Any similar advice on that?

Yes, I know a will writing firm would sort all this out for me, but I'm loath to pay someone for something I could do (my financial affairs are very straightforward).

Post subject: Re: Guernsey wills
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:28 am 

As a former resident of Guernsey, I would very much doubt you need a Guernsey will for "a small bank account". Your existing UK will should cover this. If you owned property in Guernsey or were resident there, then a Guernsey will would be a good idea, although not essential because Guernsey law covers who gets what if you die intestate.

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:39 pm 
Top of the pops

Why not close the "small" accounts in Guernsey and Scotland and amalgamate the money into a bank account that is covered by your existing wills? Simple really and as you have said that your finances are fairly simple,this would simplify things even more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:58 pm 
Top of the pops

Not so easy I'm afraid. Scottish Widows are based in Scotland and have always given me good service. As a Cypriot resident I can't open a new account in the UK, as they are only available to UK residents. The Guernsey account was opened as a result of appaling service from Santander in the UK. As said perviously, another UK based bank account is not an option so offshore was the only route. For reasons too complicated to describe, I can't almagate the above accounts into my Cypriot ones.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body