Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:52 pm 
Star

Good Afternoon

We live in a village close to Polis , and over the past week the Electricity has been going on and off , too often .

My question , after you stop laughing , is I am sure various peoples equipment could and will be damaged by these frequent events , would you see any recourse , as a consumer paying for the supply , to make a claim for any damages to equipment , due to these events .

My main concern to many would be a power surge that could blow a Television or other such items .

Thanks and Regards

Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:24 pm 
Junior

Hi,
The electricity supply is a constant worry, they seem to switch it on and off when ever they feel like it. Good advice to anyone worrying about power surges would be to buy a surge protector. You can get a 4 or 6 way protector for your pc/laptop, tv etc. This will stop anything blowing up or burning out, they are a good purchase and can be bought for about 20 to 30 euro's.
The electricity company will say they are not responsible for power surges inside your property, because there are things available to protect your electrical equipment.
Bit of a pain I know but its not just the electricity board that causes surges, the lovely lightening we seem to be having lately can do exactly the same thing if it hits your property.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:39 pm 

Jetset - exactly. We have a Schneider lightning protector in the meter box to cover everything, plus we have individual surge protector plugs on things like computers/TVs. It not only helps protect against lightning, but also helps smooth out the everyday spikes.

Mind, we do still trudge round the house unplugging things when the storm is right overhead :roll:

Les, I think you will find that it would be very difficult to prove beyond any doubt that an EAK generated surge or spike in the power supply caused the damage you would be trying to claim for. Lawyers call it "chain of evidence" - you will have to prove that it was nothing to do with wear and tear, or lightning, or misuse or anything else. Plus, I suspect somewhere in the small print of your contract with EAK is a clause stipulating that their responsibility ends where the power enters your meter cupboard.

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:45 pm 
Master

We have recently been informed by primetel to disconnect thier equipment during a power outage as there could be a surge which will damage items when the power is restored. :banghead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:47 pm 

Yes, but if you're not there when the power goes off, how do you know to turn the damn thing off? I got that text too!

But, we do have surge protectors on the pc and set top box for the broadband and tv. Got a dual fuel hob so at least we can make a cuppa if all else fails.

And if it does, someone please come and bring me a straightjacket FAST!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 am 
Star

Hi Guys

Thanks for the response and comments .

We also have the protection on key items , but not on things such as Fridge / Freezer , which currently go on and off , without any warnings .

As a service provider , surely they must have some obligations to the respective clients to provide a adequate service , that is safe for the consumable items , and if they are aware that there is a potential threat that equipment could ( worse Case ) explode because of a power surge , would it not be their responsibility to install a safe guard on the incoming supply line .

I know the response ( This is Cyprus what do you expect ) , but in the event you are in a rental property and the Surge on a Fridge causes a fire and the house burns down , and the fault is identified to the appliance , where would the blame be attributed .

LA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm 

Hi Les

I understand your frustration with the on/off power supply, but frankly, I don't believe any electricity supplier (not just EAK) would accept responsibility for any damage caused by a surge in the supply, whether after an outage or due to lightning strike - as I said before, how can you PROVE it was due to the surge? I'm sure they would be sympathetic but basically tell you to claim on your household insurance.

In the case of fridges/freezers/washing machines, I think they have capacitors in their motors which help absorb spikes in incoming power.

As regards your burnt-down-house scenario, I suspect the most that would be discovered after the fire would be that the fire started with the appliance, as opposed to the fire in the appliance was caused by a spike in supply. Therefore, unless it could be proven as faulty under guarantee, I suspect your household insurance comes into play again.
:greetings

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:38 pm 
Junior

Dear Les,

If you can prove negligence by the Electricity Authority then you can proceed to claim, but if the cause is something that is out of anybody’s control then it will be very difficult.

Regards

Haris Kalogirou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:53 pm 
Star

Hi Haris

Don't they have to work to be Negligent ???? no the point I was making to them was that the power going on and off , they think due to a power surge caused our Meter to go mad , last bill for Electric for a Two Bed low level villa , with one person Euros 1780 , for two months .
Hence the guy in Polis Electric Dept just laughted and sent someone to take it away for testing and replacement . So as I said to them what if that surge came into the house and blew my fridge for example . No real answer .

Thanks anyway

Les

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body