Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noise Law
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:58 pm 
Top of the pops

Now we all know about noise levels when it comes to bars etc, but just wondered if the same applies when it comes to excessive noise in relation to residents and not being able to have quiet enjoyment of one's own property.

I am also interested when it comes to concerts being held in stadiums after a certain time at night - is there a specific time when one can complain to the police?

Thanks for any assistance.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject: Re: Noise Law
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:42 pm 
Top of the pops

I believe 11PM is the cut off point for any noise which disturbs people in their own homes and you can call the police out to do something about it.
Not sure if this would apply to stadiums but I would have thought so.You could always pop down to your local police station and ask.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 pm 
Rock Star

I don't mind music being played loud (ish),it's the motorbikes and quad bikes late at night that annoy me. Even during the day they drown out the radio or TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Move to Polemi

It is the combine harvesters and tractors at 2am that do my head it, not to mention the grape sprayers at 4am and the dog farmers at 5am. For some reason we never get diggers after midnight or before 5am.

Its quiet in these hills, well apart from the wedding parties and Mrs PD shouting at me. :taz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm 
Junior

Dear Trish,

There is no law setting a specific time, if you have an ongoing problem you can first try to discuss it personally with the person/s involved, and if this does not help then you off-course have the right to call the police.

Best Wishes,

Haris Kalogirou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks Haris, shame then that they don't comply with the European Rights Directive allowing quiet enjoyment of your own home.

Sorry all you others have problems too, but this has put my blood pressure up to a dangerous level with the stress I am going through at the moment. Maybe I should give them my doctor's bills :crylaughin

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:18 pm 
Top of the pops

I do feel for you Candy.Barking dogs 24/7,cockerels who are not aware that dawn doesn't happen 24/7,noisy mucky neighbours ,all these reasons made us move out of our own home (paid for) and move into rented 8 kms away.The Police are useless and do nothing to help.
The European directive like most European laws are totally ignored here in Cyprus as we all know and there seems there is very little any of us can do about it.
If I did not love this island and it's people so much I would go back to the UK where we can at least get some help when noise is totally unreasonable.
So for now,I will stay and pay rent and enjoy the good things about living here and try not to get too uptight about it. :bearhug :bearhug :bearhug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:06 pm 
Top of the pops

Agree Beverley, I love my home and area and it is only since next door but one was rented out that we have had problems. Even the pool is an eye sore and what is worrying is that there are babies in the house between five days a week as she is a childminder who could get sick as the pool is so bad - maybe something will be done then when Cypriot children are being harmed by these people.

Disagree about going back to the UK though, something I will never do unless in my brown box for cremation :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 am 
Top of the pops

Candy wrote:
Agree Beverley, I love my home and area and it is only since next door but one was rented out that we have had problems. Even the pool is an eye sore and what is worrying is that there are babies in the house between five days a week as she is a childminder who could get sick as the pool is so bad - maybe something will be done then when Cypriot children are being harmed by these people.

Disagree about going back to the UK though, something I will never do unless in my brown box for cremation :lol: :lol:

I would contact the public health office ( offices at the entrance of the market in Paphos ) and report the pool condition and the childminder to them as soon as possible..Pools can kill not just make you sick so you owe it to the parents of these children to do something and quickly. This may have the added advantage of closing down her probably unregistered and uninsured business and she will move out and leave you in peace. Landlords should be held accountable for their tenants when they are a nuisance to their neighbours, there are laws about this here.
Good luck anyway.
Beverley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 am 
Junior

When we first moved here we had a problem with the nieghbours. They were ticket touts in the harbour so they didin't get in until early hours of the morning, when they did come in they were always drunk and put the music on mega loud straight away, we tried to talk to them about it but got no where. We complained to the land lord who said he could do nothing.We then warned them we would phone the police this only made them worse. It was so bad one night we did ring the peyia police who came straight away. They told them to turn the music off, which they did until the police had gone. As soon as the police were out of sight they put it on again. We called the police back and things turned nasty. The woman was arrested and taken away the sound system was taken away and the man was ordered to court Next moring. They were both fined 700 euro and evicted. The police in Peyia will not tolerate it, they were very good.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body