Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vat reclaim
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:55 pm 
Junior

hi can anyone help?
where do i get a vat reclaim form from in paphos?
also does anyone know how the process goes please?

Post subject: Re: vat reclaim
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 pm 
Master

Now I am intrigued and I am also sure that I am about to be educated too. VAT is paid in the UK and in Cyprus - so can we reclaim VAT here for something bought elsewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:05 pm 
Junior

im looking for the form to apply for the vat back on my flat, doesnt everybody do this in cyprus?? would rather get the form and apply myself than line the pockets of lawyers etc..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:14 pm 
Master

Hi Carolyn - I have never heard of this but I am sure one of our "knowing" members will be able to come to your assistance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:24 pm 
Rock Star

An explanation about the VAT refund schemem is here.. http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/l ... ations.htm

The form is available but I believe only in Greek http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/f ... d-form.pdf

D.

Last edited by trevnhil on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:36 pm 
Master

Hi Dudley - so how do the none Greek speakers manage to claim the VAT back - or is it the intention of the Cypriot Government to only assist the Cypriots with this!? So many people of all nationalities have bought properties in Cyprus. How are they supposed to reclaim what they are entitled to? We may be learning Greek but unless you are fluent in the language you do not have a cat in h**s chance!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:58 pm 
Rock Star

I am not into VAT reclaims or Greek forms. I suppose that you have to find someone who can read the language to help you.

D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:02 pm 
Master

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Silly question - but why pay VAT here in the first place if you can claim it all back?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm 
Rock Star

Because not every one can claim it back, and It may not be all of it. Also you or your developer have to pay the VAT on whatever goods you buy.

D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:02 pm 
Master

Thanks Dudley. Could you expand your reply please. I am not trying to be funny here but really need to learn.

Luv & hugs
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:08 pm 
Rock Star

Sorry, but I have no more knowledge of the subject. I only know about the Cyprus property buyers website.

D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:46 pm 

Hi
I have just joined the forum ,maybe I can help with the question on the VAT Refund Scheme.Here's a brief outline of the Refund Scheme

Firstly the building permit has to have been submitted after the 01/05/2004.
The size of the residence does not exceed 250 square meters , excluding some outside buildings.

You also have to be over 18 years old and be permanently residing in Cyprus with no further permanent residence.

The amount of the grant depends on the type and size of the residence and is calculated to area up to 130m2.

Building on own plot E10,131.13
Purchase of a flat up to 2 bedrooms E19,249.28
" " " " " " 3+ bedrooms E17,729.63

Purchase of detached house E20,262.38
Purchase of semi-detached house E15,196.87

For more info and contact details try http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com.
Hope this helps a bit.

On a personal note at the momment I'm still living in the very cold , wet and miserable Uk. But three weeks from today I will be moving to my new home in Peristerona (near Polis) For good.

I know everyone moans about the Exchange rates , I had to pay for my house being built at a exchange rate averaging 1.10 Euro per UK Pound. It was signed for before the pound nosed dived. It cost me tens of thousands of pounds more.
But after spending the first 60 years of my life in England. If I had to be I would rather be poor in Cyprus than poor in England. At least I don't have to die like 10,000 people do every year in the UK of the Cold.

Regards to eveyone
Martin :

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:41 am 
Star

I can add a little to this thread.

A very good friend of ours bought a villa in Coral Bay nearly three years ago and was told by his lawyer that he would be able to re claim the VAT and he has this in writing, it was because of this he went ahead with the sale.

He neither has his title deeds nor is he a permanent resident here. Final completion certificates have just been issued by the developer, and title deeds should follow shortly.

He has been patiently waiting since that time for the refund of the VAT.

This week he is appearing in court over the issue and his lawyer is appearing before the Lawyers Committee in Nicosia over the same issue.

I wish him luck I think he's going to need it, I hope he wins as the amount if a little under 70,000 Euros.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:41 am 
Junior

hi as far as i know you MUST be resident here before you can claim the vat back as that is one of the criteria needed, and also you cannot sell your property before 10 years or you will be required to pay something back.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body