Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:31 pm 
Forum Admin

I have a friend in coral bay area looking for a cleaner 10.am till 1.00pm
7 days a week
pay is 4.00euros an hour , its to clean a take away ..

pm me for details

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Sorry Neil but to offer such a pittance for a filthy greasy job is to my way of thinking taking advantage of someones desperation to feed their family or try and feed themselves. It really makes me very angry .I won't say any more or I will get banned !
:evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:40 pm 
Forum Admin

I am only posting what someone asked me to do ..
:greetings
4 euros an hour @ 8hrs per day =32 per day x 7 days 224 per week x 4 weeks = just under 900 euros a month,
that would be a normal non skilled labour pay ???

tell me if I am wrong house keepers get a lot less per month ?

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:36 pm 

Don't know where you have been living for the past few years Neil? This is a typical example of the English and Scottish of ripping off their own here in Cyprus. Who would get out of bed for less then £4 an hour in the UK to go and scrub some greasy place every day for that sort of money. The Cypriot Government really need to clamp down on these people. I think that it is no different from people taking the p**s here in Cyprus as it is of the sweat shops in india etc. Companies like Fallon Wholesales, Chillys and many other British and Scottish establishments operating here in Cyprus are nothing but sweat shops offering cheap labour vacancies because they know that the employment situation is dire at the present time. I just hope that Cyprus turns the corner in the near future and these rip of merchants have no one wanting to work for them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Do not kid yourselves - this is pretty much the norm in wages for unskilled. My next door neighbour works at Debenhams at the harbour for €5 per hour - she is part time, and sometimes her shift will be for 2 hours! That's €10 for the day - take into account petrol, and there isn't a lot left, so don't think it's just the Brit companies who pay low wages.

When I worked here, I was working 50 to 60 hours per week (plus some evenings at home) for €850 per month - if I had worked 40 hours per week that would only have been €5.30 per hour . . . . . . . and I had many years experience, and it was a responsible job!

In this economic climate I am sure there will be a queue of people for this job.

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:10 pm 
Forum Admin

I know that my brewrey rep has a take home of 850 per month
and thats working for a cypriot company ..

You cannot even think to trying to compare things with the uk , this is not the UK
The cost of living is not the same, you may aswell try to compare it with working on an oil rig ..

The poroblem is, Brits come over here to work and expect Brit rates .
I have had quotes for many jobs to be done over the years
and 9 out 10 quotes , the brit builders are way over the top ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:14 pm 
Forum Admin

Neil wrote:
I know that my brewrey rep has a take home of 850 per month
and thats working for a cypriot company ..

You cannot even think to trying to compare things with the uk , this is not the UK
The cost of living is not the same, you may aswell try to compare it with working on an oil rig ..

The porblem is, Brits come over here to work and expect Brit rates .
I have had quotes for many jobs to be done over the years
and 9 out 10 quotes , the brit builders are way over the top ..

I had my catering engineer come out the other day , to do a full service on my grill
(he is not brit) but a very good engineer , he was there for about an hour doing the work
he gave me a bill for 20 euros ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:11 pm 
Junior

Unless I am reading this wrong 10am til 1pm is 3hrs a day not 8hrs a day, which to me is €12 a day, €84 per week not good but I was told by a cypriot if you make your own way to work it is more and if the boss picks you up it is less, to me this wage comes into the boss picking you up,
les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:23 pm 
Forum Admin

lesnkev wrote:
Unless I am reading this wrong 10am til 1pm is 3hrs a day not 8hrs a day, which to me is €12 a day, €84 per week not good but I was told by a cypriot if you make your own way to work it is more and if the boss picks you up it is less, to me this wage comes into the boss picking you up,
les

Yes Les , I was just giving an example of an hourly rate ,, thats 3 hours a day ,
It works out at 336euros a month , 2 x them jobs = 6 hrs a day = 672 euros is not bad ..
yes you would have to lve local , thats why I put coral bay on the post , its no good coming from yeriskipou to work .

Another way to look at it ,, 3 hrs a day pays your rent for the month !! almost ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 pm 
Junior

Yep Neil that is so true we have been their but now retired. Your site has given me the positive to start posting again and not shouted at!
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:46 pm 
Forum Admin

lesnkev wrote:
Yep Neil that is so true we have been their but now retired. Your site has given me the positive to start posting again and not shouted at!
Les

Anyone shouts on here, gets the pleasure of a whisper in there ear as a reply ..
:greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:00 am 
Top of the pops

Anyone shouts on here, gets the pleasure of a whisper in there ear as a reply ..
:greetings[/quote]

Oooooh Neil! :manic SHOUTY SHOUTING SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT!! :heart :bearhug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:29 am 
Top of the pops

Any person who is offered regular hours with a set rate in this current climate is doing well. Even if that rate seems low at least it is promised (note not guaranteed). Most people here especially in tourist and catering businesses will work long hours for a meager salary and by nature of the job find it difficult to find a top up income. At least this is a specified number of hours allowing a person to find other work.

You cannot and should not compare to any other employment market. However the statement that no one would get out of bed for that pay is a possible indicator of why the UK has such a big number of people on the dole.

If the market pays 3.00 or 4.00 or 50.00 per hour then thats what it will pay.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:24 pm 
Top of the pops

As a indication,

Bar staff get between 3 and 5 euros an hour. Kitchen staff can get as little as 2.80 and hour. A domestic worker cleaning during their off day (Sunday typically) gets 5 to 7 per hour. For their contracted domestic worker duties, the official rate works out at around 2 per hour, but food and board are included (however, most if not all work way beyond their contracted hours for no extra).

A prostitute behind the Town Hall gets 20 for 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:57 pm 
Top of the pops

So Joseph,prostitution it is then ! :giggle :giggle :giggle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Quote:
Wow great value for 3 times.........

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:42 pm 

Think we are missing the point on this thread. Don't forget there is a minimum wage here in Cyprus but most of the ex pat employers seem to disregard it. I know that the Cypriots do as well but I am only speaking of the experience I have had here in Cyprus when working for the English and Scottish and also the Cypriots. Both the English and Scottish employers have wanted me to work far more and treated me like a slave whilst the Cypriot employer gave me less work, paid me more and treated me well, and I would still be working for the Cypriot company had they not relocated to Larnaka. I also know other people that work for ex pat companies and are only working for them as there is nothing else available otherwise they would not be working for them. As said before once Cyprus pulls through this financial dip most of the ex pat companies will be in trouble unless they start paying more money to employees and treat them better, as employees will just jack in and go somewhere else where they are better looked after. They are unable to do this right now as there are no other jobs available, but you mark my word this will change in the very near future.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm 
Forum Admin

Grenadier wrote:
Think we are missing the point on this thread. Don't forget there is a minimum wage here in Cyprus but most of the ex pat employers seem to disregard it. I know that the Cypriots do as well but I am only speaking of the experience I have had here in Cyprus when working for the English and Scottish and also the Cypriots. Both the English and Scottish employers have wanted me to work far more and treated me like a slave whilst the Cypriot employer gave me less work, paid me more and treated me well, and I would still be working for the Cypriot company had they not relocated to Larnaka. I also know other people that work for ex pat companies and are only working for them as there is nothing else available otherwise they would not be working for them. As said before once Cyprus pulls through this financial dip most of the ex pat companies will be in trouble unless they start paying more money to employees and treat them better, as employees will just jack in and go somewhere else where they are better looked after. They are unable to do this right now as there are no other jobs available, but you mark my word this will change in the very near future.

Why is the pay low ?
you answered it yourself, if the country was not in a financial dip , the would not be low ..
do you think that the employers are not finding it hard to make money ??
I am sure if a company is doing well , it will pay good pay , employers have to tighten there belts also ..
and if it means they have to cut hourly rates to survive then they will ..
If someone wants to work for it , they will ..

P.S
I have had 3 PM`s interested in this job ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 pm 
Rock Star

Grenadier wrote:
Don't forget there is a minimum wage here in Cyprus

But, does anyone know what it is???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:36 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:

Good for you. Will you be offering discount to PP members (I think I could have phrased that differently).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:04 pm 

Well I will have the Job I have my rent to pay and food to buy and I just lost my job on Friday through lack of business I know its not a lot of money but it will keep the wolves from the door. Having lost all my money to the con man Alan Linker of R.S.S.
I am still trying to rebuild my life in Cyprus.

Vickie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:41 pm 
Forum Admin

Vickie wrote:
Well I will have the Job I have my rent to pay and food to buy and I just lost my job on Friday through lack of business I know its not a lot of money but it will keep the wolves from the door. Having lost all my money to the con man Alan Linker of R.S.S.
I am still trying to rebuild my life in Cyprus.

Vickie

I have PM`d you ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 am 

I tend to look at this differently,it is sad that anyone is forced to work for poor wages,we all know what goes on,discussing nationality,or legal rates doesn`t get you very far.
If you are in the catering business,whether you are cooking, serving or cleaning,each one is as important as the other,it won`t matter how good the meal was if the waiter was poor or a glass or a fork was less than clean,that is what the customer will remember.5 euros an hour for a cleaner should be possible in hard times,it will not add much to the bill but it could add a lot to the business in the end,especially if you are fortunate to find a good one.
Thom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:33 am 
Top of the pops

J B wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
Don't forget there is a minimum wage here in Cyprus

But, does anyone know what it is???

The minimum wage only applies to nine specific occupations: sales staff, clerical workers, auxiliary healthcare staff, auxiliary staff in nursery schools, in crèches and in schools, security guards, caretakers and cleaners.

From 1 April 2011, the minimum monthly salary for the new job entrants in seven of the nine occupational categories – excepting cleaners and security guards – is set at €855, up from €835 in 2010, while for employees who have worked for the same employer for six consecutive months, the minimum wage is set at €909 compared with €887 in 2010. For the occupational category of cleaners the minimum hourly rate is set at €4.48 and €4.76 for employees who have worked for the same employer for six consecutive months, while the minimum hourly rate for the occupational category of security guards is set at €4.81 and €5.12 accordingly.

There you go.

Lesley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:00 pm 
Top of the pops

Josef K wrote:
beverley wrote:

Good for you. Will you be offering discount to PP members (I think I could have phrased that differently).

The discount will be relevant to the size of the PP member!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:28 pm 
Top of the pops

I hired 2 cleaners today for 5.00 per hour for a deep clean of an apartment. They worked well and were delighted with the pay.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 pm 
Top of the pops

5 euros cash in hand is acceptable but anything less I consider an insult.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:13 am 

Josef K wrote:
As a indication,

Bar staff get between 3 and 5 euros an hour. Kitchen staff can get as little as 2.80 and hour. A domestic worker cleaning during their off day (Sunday typically) gets 5 to 7 per hour. For their contracted domestic worker duties, the official rate works out at around 2 per hour, but food and board are included (however, most if not all work way beyond their contracted hours for no extra).

Is that the normal rate or do you get discount as a regular member :lol:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Quote:
A prostitute behind the Town Hall gets 20 for 10 minutes

Quote:
in hand

Quote:
for a filthy greasy job

OK, some people have too much time on their hands.

The market will dictate occupations and salaries ultimately.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:21 pm 

Hi my 16 year old cousin has just moved over to live with me as is needing a job ASAP is this still available she is very reliable if you could get back to ASAP with contact info for her to get in touch would be great. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:50 pm 
Forum Admin

Sorry it gone

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:53 pm 

Do they still need a cleaner my friend is looking for a job Hazel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:18 pm 
Forum Admin

its gone sorry

or half empty ? .