Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm 
Master

Tom - I am sorry to say that u appear to have some preconceived thoughts despite all the advice that has been offerred. I close my posts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 pm 

culpeper wrote:
Shell,

Thank you for your useful input.

All I can say is that, as the situation has become here, we have acquired enough experience to know that we would rather starve in Cyprus than be well fed in the UK. :-)

Tom

Tom,
There's only one problem with starving in Cyprus is if you're funds are tied up in a property you can't sell - what then? That's one of the main reasons why at this time most expats in Cyprus will encourage you to try renting as opposed to buying at the outset. Even those expats who have bought property themselves originally are now standing on the "rent" fence whereas a few years ago, most would have said exactly the opposite.

That should give you an indication of how things have changed here in the property market. Cyprus has enough financial problems of its' own.

Maggie speaks a lot of sense regarding neighbours too. I know lots of people who moved from their rented property every single time the lease comes up for renewal too (mainly those in apartments rather than like us in houses) for all the reasons Maggie outlined in her post. A friend of ours had her post regularly pilfered by other apartment occupants and was burgled twice by neighbours. They were eventually caught but it didn't replace the bank cards and other stuff that went missing from her mailbox.

Apartments are fine if they are all occupied and if all occupants pay towards the upkeep/maintenance - not everyone does! Problems arise when they are left unoccupied or the upkeep isn't paid. There's nothing worse than approaching the entrance of apartment complexes where the paint is peeling or plaster is falling off the walls, graffiti in the lifts or lifts not working, crumbling balconies, unpainted railings and broken shutters. The list is endless. Apartment entrances can be dark and dismal and simply not very nice to hang around. If you're considering an apartment then most definitely, try renting one first rather than buying. If you're looking to buy a very small apartment after that, you will still find one in 12 to 18 months time....

It's difficult and very frustrating for those of us who've been here a number of years trying to give practical advice to someone who has blinkers on and feel they've already made that right decision. Sadly, there's many of us here who have seen a number of these decision makers come and go again quite quickly and mostly with a bad taste in their mouth. Take a look on the for sale boards at how much brand new stuff is for sale or stuff that's less than 12 months old. Also take a look on Cyprus Anglo Info forum at the Wanted and For Sale ads there too. That's not a "chat" forum like this, it covers the whole of the island of Cyprus and gives lots of information for newcomers based on all locations rather than one specific area. Based on your budget, if as you suggest you're looking at the Eastern side of the island have you joined the Cyprus Eastern Forum to see what their views are?

Some may call me cynical but reading between the lines in this thread I do have a sneaky suspicion there's something else going on behind it but I'm sure that eventually it will all come out in the wash. Something just doesn't quite sit right with me.... :neutral:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 pm 

Shell,

• We have no intention of buying online and we shall rent for a period of three months before we buy.
• As much as I appreciate the kindness of people offering advice, the reason for posting here was to investigate the availability of apartments for sale. Though we have found a number of suitable properties, it does not hurt to increase our options, hence the posting here.
• When the advice given is based on personal opinion which is not supported by facts - such as independent statistics of the UN - then I must either keep silent or respond. I chose to respond. Perhaps it is sometimes better to keep silent :-)
• Our intention is to live in a local village, surrounded by local people. Hopefully our observations and experiences to date shall justify our decision.
• I was not aware of the ‘Cyprus Eastern Forum’. I shall search for it now.
• If there is something else going on ‘between the lines’ I shall be intersted to hear of it if you will be kind enough to let me know what it is :-)

Regards,
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:59 am 

I never said you were buying online nor did you give that intention - only that you had been looking online.

I still see properties advertised now that I know were for sale online when we were looking to move here and also for the 18 months or so that I worked for a property developer in Limassol.

The Eastern Forum should give you another perspective from that end of the island.

I'm not certain the properties you indicated in your price range that you came across fit into what you've just outlined about but I've seen what people come with an intention of buying and what they go away with change quite dramatically so it looks like you could be in for some fun!

As to the rest, time will tell....

Last bumped by culpeper on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:59 am.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body