Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:42 am

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:39 pm 
Major

Hi Tina, there seems to be quite a little group of us Kent people. I don' t know about you, but I have such a long list of things I want to do, when I stop work and finally have time for myself. I am sure I will be much healthier when I don't have to sit in front of a computer all day, and can get some fresh air and exercise.

Hope all continues to go according to plan.

Cheers

Milly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:37 pm 
Rock Star

"Get a life" comes to mind when I think of the things I want to do. A social life for one, as I have not had the time for one here. I am sure I will find a million and one things to do when we get to Cyprus.

We have got over the hurdle today of taking Daisy to Golden Arrow. It was very sad for us but she just ran off to play quite happily. I couldn't be more pleased with our choice there (thanks to Verity). Lovely people and what a place. The most beautiful setting. I am sure Daisy will have a fantastic holiday there. It was a very tiring journey taking us over 8 hours for the round trip but well worth it I think. I feel comfortable about the arrangements and I am sure she will be well looked after. But it will be a long month without her.

We have to attack the rest of the packing with renewed vigour tomorrow as we only have 2 days left and there seems to be so much left to do. The kitchen is not even half done, as so many things have to be wrapped and packed so carefully. And at the end of it all we have got to try and clean the house, as the treasured steam cleaner will have to go in the container along with the Dyson. I may have to borrow one after they leave as the new owners don't move in until the 28th.

Will have to be in bed early again tonight to give me my usual start time of 6am. Not long now though :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:36 pm 
Rock Star

Final stages of packing are now fast approaching tomorrow. Still an awful lot to do when I look around at the mess and chaos. We lose our internet tomorrow and therefore my access to friendly encouragement from all on PP.

Feeling very jittery at the moment but I am sure it will pass. 2 days until the container arrives so no going back now as they say.

Will let you know if there are any last minute nightmares.

MY very best to all going through this moving process, whether at the beginning or the end.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:27 am 
Top of the pops

Hope to hear from you soon tina :clap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:20 am 
Rock Star

Hi Everyone,

Well we are now officially displaced persons and we saw our container off yesterday. It will be winging its way back to Romford as we speak. It was a very sad day yesterday walking around our empty echoey house. A couple of tears were spilled on the floor. The one thing that surprised me was just exactly how cavernous a 40ft container is. I had been worried that all our stuff wouldn't fit, but when it was loaded it looked lost at the end of of it. There will certainly be plenty of room for the car. What I don't understand though, and nor did the driver of the container or the removal/packing guys, and that is why can't the car be loaded onto the container at the house after all the furniture is put on? Why does it have to go to the depot of whoever is shipping your stuff? Anyone have any idea about this? Also, if it is "our container", why are we charged by the cu.m. and not for the container??? These are questions I will have to ask them as we are somewhat puzzled now.

We are picking up a hire car today so at least we won't feel quite so displaced. It is very strange having to stay in someone else's house as it is but being without transport in rural Wales is even worse. Then we go back to the house for the last bit of cleaning and finally to the solicitor to sign the transfer deed. The money should be in the bank on Monday!!

I am counting the days now that we have no house of our own to live in. It is 21 days now. :celebrate :celebrate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Tina

Countdown begins now and bet you are so excited.21 days is not long and wish it was us.I shall keep an eye on here to see how you are progressing to the end and of course wish you a safe journey over.Well done.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:45 pm 
Junior

Hi Tina

Congratulations on completing the first part of your journey to Cyprus.

I can't understand about the car not being loaded at the house. We had a 40 foot container, the furniture was loaded and then a sort of timber construction was built at the back of the container and the car went in that.

It was quite a sight. I didn't see it myself as I was at work, but I believe all the neighbours were out watching! The car was loaded onto a flat back lorry or similar, that was backed up to the container and then the car was reversed - carefully! - on to the container. Not for the faint hearted, my husband could hardly bear to watch his precious vehicle being loaded!

So maybe your option was better.

Happy travels.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:57 pm 
Top of the pops

It might be as they built a fire wall between furniture and car.Or to stop furniture moving and hitting car.Sure someone who deals with shipping will answer it soon.Interesting though.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Well done Tina, safe trip, all seems to have gone well so far, down to your planning and hard work. enjoy your time left in uk .
Tricia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:31 am 
Star

Wow Tina

Can you believe it's actually happening. Enjoy the last 21 days and more importantly enjoy your one way flight :celeb2 :celeb2

Looks like there's a coffee meet on 22nd May so hopefully we will get to meet up

Take care and have a safe trip

Julie xx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:07 am 
Master

Look forward to meeting up with you very soon

Enjoy your last few days and safe journey.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:51 pm 
Rock Star

We got a call from M&S today, and the container is now arriving 9th/10th May, so in fact before we do. We were originally told it would be around 21st May. So, I won't be having a week's holiday before we have to start unpacking!!!!! We will have to go to Limassol for the car and then arrange the delivery. I will not be moving in though until it is al unpacked and don't intend to rush it.

Hope I can make the coffee meeting on 22nd if we have finished :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:39 pm 
Top of the pops

Better Early than late, my son is waiting on his stuff from usa 2 weeks late not much fun on a blow up bed and a picnic hamper :lol: Still there are young they will cope.
Tricia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:09 pm 
Idol

Location: Feet in Summer Wine Country, Heart in Brandy Sour Country
I rather fancy the idea of being a 'displaced person' if it meant I was nearly outta here!

Well done Tina! All your hard work is finished at this end. Don't spill many more tears, just think......your new life beckons!

Exciting times!

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:49 pm 
Rock Star

Well I guess my moving diary is coming to a rewarding close. I don't think there is anything else left to organise from this end. I have arranged to pick up our car from Limassol the day after we arrive, next Thursday, and the furniture is being delivered on Friday. Verity has kindly managed to pick up the keys to the rented house for me, so it will be all systems go next week - alas no time to relax for a few days, just straight in with both feet :roll:

We are spending the last few days here with my sister, having drinks with all of our friends and neighbours tonight in the local pub, dinner tomorrow night with more friends, saying goodbye to Guy's brother on Sunday, meeting more friends for lunch on Monday and then packing on Tuesday morning for our trip to Cardiff, where we stay overnight before our early morning flight on Wednesday. By the way, did I mention that it is a one way flight :giggle

Sam & Mia are picking us up at the airport and we are staying with her until we get the house organised. As soon as we have a bed to sleep in and some small organisation in the kitchen we can have Daisy back with us, who flies out to Barking Mad next Saturday. So, a lot of unpacking to look forward to, no doubt a lot of visiting various government departments and then, just maybe, we can start our new life and RELAX. I may even be able to get back to the New Build Diary again soon, if the new build ever starts!!!! Another project - chivvying up the planning department :tickedoff I have a sneaking feeling that I will be wishing that there was a diary section called "things you need to do when you arrive in Cyprus diary".

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been with me every step of the way and those special people who have gone that extra mile. I would also like to thank PP in general for introducing me to so many lovely people who I look forward to seeing again very soon at Taverna Club and Coffee Afternoon dates. I also want to wish everyone who might still be on this great adventure or who are nearly there the very best of luck and enjoyment.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:52 pm 
Rock Star

By the way, I forgot to tell you one thing,
I AM SO EXCITED I CAN'T SLEEP (AGAIN)!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:01 pm 
Major

Hi Tina

Congratulations on completing the last leg on your one way trip to paradise :bounce What an adventure :congrats

Cheers

Milly

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:57 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks Milly, you won't be that far behind me I am sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Tina.....Well Done :clap :clap

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:06 am 
Master

Have a good flight Tina and look forward to meeting you at the coffee afternoon.

Nice to see you back on PP site

Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:27 am 
Star

Tina

I feel really excited for you and wish it was me but in another few years hopefully it will be.

I wish you and Guy all the luck in the world in your new life and hope it all comes together quickly when you get over there. Then you can start to give that planning department what for and get your build under way.

Hope you're not too busy to make the coffee meet on 22nd as it would be lovely to meet you

Have a good journey

Julie xx

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:17 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks Julie and Chris. I have every intention of making the coffee meet on the 22nd, as long as nothing more important crops up. But I cant think of anything more important at the moment. :lol:

See you all there.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:06 pm 
Master

Congratulations Tina. I've really enjoyed reading your diary.

We are flying out on Wednesday aswell . . .hopefully for the last time before the final move.

Exciting times ahead for you :celebrate

Good luck,

Jackie :greetings

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:53 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes thanks Tina and well done.
Enjoy your life in the sun
Best Wishes Gary :clap

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:04 pm 
Rock Star

At last!!! An internet connection. We have missed this more than anything else, although we have had the satellite installed today as well.

We have been in our rented house now for nearly a week after spending the first very hot and sticky week at Sam & Mia's in Peyia. Boy what a relief it is to be up here in the cool breezes of Ineia!!! We are just loving it. For those of you who thought that the more remote villages are scary or unfriendly, I can tell you it is far from it. We have been indundated with food from our next door neighbours, including invitations to dinner on 2 occasions - all in spite of the fact that they speak no English and we speak no Greek. We are spoken to by everyone we meet during our walks and of course everyone knows where we live already. The village drums no doubt.

Our dog Daisy arrived last Friday and seems no worse for wear. She has settled in brilliantly will no ill effects from the month long separation or flight. We collected our car from Limassol the day after we arrived which was a very strange experience, seeing "our car" parked in a warehouse over here. We intend to buy a second car (for me really as the Honda is Guy's baby), and I want a small 4 x 4 for access to areas that the Honda can't go. Plenty of time though, especially as we haven't sorted out money yet - it is all in the UK still. Just living on my Nationwide Flexaccount card. There are still many many things to sort out on the official front but hey, we are in Cyprus now - avrio avrio!!!

Hope to see some of you at Taverna Club on Friday and signing off the new move diary at last :bounce :celeb2 :clapping

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:13 pm 
Hi Tina,

Glad to hear you've settled in ok :D This is the start of your new life & hoepfully you'll enjoy it as much as the rest of us, look forward to seeing you & Guy at the Taverna on Friday :D

Now that you're signing off on you 'Move Diary' you have to concentrate on your 'New Build Diary' instead :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Great update Tina well done :clap :clap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:30 pm 
Major

Hi Tina

Glad to hear you are now settled in and all is going well. I have been offline too for some days, as a result of our move back here in the Uk. Hopefully won't be too long before we join you out there! :D

Cheers

Milly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:47 pm 
Master

Well done :congrats I wish you luck in your move and of course your new build. Lookig forward to start reading your diary on its progress

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:32 pm 

So pleased all went well, every success for the future,

Peter

:congrats

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body