Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:55 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:54 pm 
Rock Star

Hi all,
It was suggested, after my first post, that I start a moving diary. After much deliberation I have decided to do just that. So here it is in all its glory:

THE BACKGROUND.

It all kind of started last year. I had always wanted to retire somewhere with a better climate than the UK. and Australia was always my favored destination. However when the Aussies removed the retirement visa option, that possibility went down the toilet.
My partner, Steph, had always fancied Italy but quite honestly, although the price of houses is very cheap, the cost of living is horrendous.

Steph had a flat in the UK which it was no longer financially sensible to keep, so the decision was taken to sell it and release some equity.
We then planned to use this money to purchase a holiday “bolt hole” somewhere with the intention of moving out permanently in a few years time.

Cyprus, it was felt, could be a possible. Flights were duly booked, with the intention of ascertaining which general area of the island we felt would be right for us.
We came over in July. We had booked a rental in Paphos for the first half of the holiday and another on the eastern side of the island for the second week.

Our reconnaissance mission very soon changed into a house hunt. I’m still somewhat bewildered as to how this happened. All I do remember is that we drove over to the East stayed one night and came back to the West. Fortunately Rachael (the person we rented the apartment from in Chlorakas) didn’t have anyone in for the next week so we just moved back in. Our house hunt took us to many villages to look at plots, re-sales and new builds.
During one particularly long day with an agent we fell in love with a 90% completed new build by a small family developer in the village of Kathikas.
The decision was taken there and then that this was the house for us.
The next day the deed was done and we signed on the bottom line.
There then followed 2 days of frantically dashing round various showrooms choosing sanitary ware, Kitchen door finishes, tiles and other general decorative items. We also had to agree certain extras and other finer points with the builders.
I don’t think it was until we arrived back in the UK that the enormity of what we had done finally struck home.

ALL CHANGE
Later in the year, without going into too much detail, I had something of a falling out with my current employer. This prompted us to sit down and take a hard look at where we wanted our lives to go in the immediate future. To cut a very long story short we decided we could afford to take early retirement and accelerate our long term plans. When we were out house hunting I had met a guy who had offered me some part time work and Steph had already had an offer of work from an old friend and work colleague.
Although our original plan wasn’t to work in Cyprus it is nice to know we can if we want to.
We simply want to leave this “sinking ship,” we “lovingly,” call The UK at the earliest possible opportunity. If ever a country and government has got it wrong then this one certainly has….
Within the week the house was on the market with a local estate agent. It was now early October.
Unfortunately from this point on it seems that various things have conspired against us.
Firstly the time of year to sell a house was not the best. Secondly the agent was, ”how can I put this?”….Useless!.... In 3 months they put 3 people through the door and one of those was an employee! The third thing is of course the general slow down in the global economy which is making house sales that much more difficult.
The next thing that happened was we tragically lost my sister to cancer in December.
Undeterred we came out to our new house over Christmas and new year.
We had already sent over a 20 foot container with M&S which contained the contents of Steph’s flat. Our lovely new neighbors had organized the unloading of that for us.
Christmas was spent sorting through box after box of personal belongings and turning the house into something that resembled a home.

WHERE ARE WE NOW?
Since returning to the UK we have now changed from our original agents and gone with 2 new ones. Things are looking up on that front as we seem to be getting a steady stream of viewers. We even had our first offer at the w-end. We have turned it down however as it was both too low and the people had 2 houses to sell to finance their purchase.
Steph is still working and in theory so am I. the reason I say in theory is that I have had an operation on my foot and am off work for 6-8 weeks.
We are still optimistic that we will sell the house soon and that will put us on target to spend this summer, as the first of many, in our new home in Kathikas Cyprus.

TOO BE CONTINUED……..

Blatant advert follows:
Our house for sale in the UK.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails- ... 1&tr_t=buy

Last edited by sevener on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:00 pm 
Rock Star

Great reading Brian & Steph. Sounds a bit like our own story. You make me feel like doing my own moving diary!!!! Maybe between working, and posting here, I will start to put something down. At the risk of boring other PP members :lol:

Post subject: moving to cyprus
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:05 pm 
Forum Admin

Great intro Brian
It will be nice to see how this pans out..
Good choice of village also, they have some nice taverna`s ..
:D

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:09 pm 
Rock Star

It's also near OUR village :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:24 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Brian and Steph

What a great start to a diary and it makes good reading.I am really looking forward to next instalment.Diaries are good and you can look back later and read them and reminis the good and bad along your way.

frank :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Good Luck Brian
You make it all sound so easy !
Look forward with interest to your progress reports.
Major Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 pm 
Star

Great reading Brian

Good luck with the house sale - we have ours on the market at the moment as we are downsizing (part of our longer term plan to move to Cyprus) so I can sympathise on the subject of estate agents - we are on our third !!!!!!

Julie x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Looking forward to the next installment. It brings back some good memories when I read about others making the move.

Verity. 8)

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:18 am 
Rock Star

OK everyone....We need your help....
We have a viewer today....They have sold their house and are in rented accommodation.
We need positive thoughts from everyone.
If they make any sort of offer we could be tempted to accept :)
Fingers crossed....
Regards
Brian & Steph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:22 am 
Top of the pops

Positive vibes . . . . positive vibes . . . . . positive vibes . . . . .

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:24 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Brian and Steph

Just read your diary, good stuff. Seems ages since I wrote mine on:

http://www.bfctradingpost.com/clboard/v ... orum_id=48

Best of luck on your viewing today. Positive vibes from me as well. :lol:

Molly :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:57 pm 
Rock Star

I am mustering up all the positive vibes I can. I really hope you get a good offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Lovely house - just had a nose. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Molly :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Molly

I've just re-read mine as well - gosh, it takes me back to my panic stricken days in Coppull, Lancasire :lol: This is mine

http://www.bfctradingpost.com/clboard/v ... =48&page=1

It made me realise just how much support I needed - and, more importantly, got.

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:06 pm 
Junior

Hi You Two

We have got evenything crossed for you, hope the sun is shining where you are, get the coffee on and start making the bread!!!
Good luck
Marion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:19 pm 
Rock Star

Jean,

I can't get your link to work. Molly's is fine but I get the good old "page cannot be displayed".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:07 pm 
Top of the pops

If you go into Mollys, then click on the Moving Diaries at the top of Mollys link, you will then find the index with mine and Veritys listed there.

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks Jean, that's great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:41 pm 
Top of the pops

I too would suggest reading all the diaries as some are very emotional and give true feelings.I loved them all and glad to see them forming on here.

Hope you get the sale brian and steph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Amazing how time has flown Jean, those were the days. :lol:

The support that we gave and received from each other was just as amazing. :lol:

Molly :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:04 pm 
Rock Star

OK Here goes. I'm probably tempting fate here but I feel it's time for an update anyway.
The last few weeks have been very difficult in lots of ways. We have been in a kind of limbo.
I have been off work for 6 weeks recovering from a foot operation while Steph has been going out to work.
As I can't do much and can't drive until I get this damn boot off, hence the house clearance has come to a virtual halt.
We have had a steady stream of viewers for the house and this w-end had our first "second viewing". They seem to be very keen on the house but unfortunately they have a house to sell themselves in Norfolk which is not the easiest area to sell in.
At least they realise that they are not in a position to make an offer until they have sold their house.
We are still trying to stay positive but I have to admit it is becoming more and more difficult. We just want to get this house sold and be on our way.
I've spent the last week or so attempting to find a suitable vehicle in Cyprus. No luck here yet either. We feel a small 4wd would be our best choice from a practical viewpoint but we can't find a model we like, that is available in Cyprus.
We seem to have so much all hanging on the sale of the house it is causing both of us sleepless nights. Having made up our minds that we want to start our new life this year it is so frustrating to be beholden to others.
Our backstop position is of course to rent this house out as a long term rental and move to our house in Cyprus anyway, but that really isn't what we want to do.
It is so annoying that there are loads of thing we want to get started on out in Cyprus on the new house and we just can't until we get out there permanently.
Anyway I'm going to go and have a few beers and watch the rugby and try and forget about all this for an hour or two.

Brian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:20 pm 
Idol

Location: Feet in Summer Wine Country, Heart in Brandy Sour Country
Hi Brian,

You are 4 months ahead of us, our For Sale sign went up yesterday and we've been on the agents website for a week. I thought we might have a viewing this weekend but the phone is not exactly red hot! This may take some time.

My motto is going to be, "Someone out there wants to buy my house, they just don't know it yet!"

We tried to sell in 2005 and could have sold 3 times over, but the would-be buyers couldn't sell their properties. Glad we didn't sell then because we weren't planning a move to Cyprus.

Hope your foot is well and truly on the mend, "These things are sent to try us" as they say!

I lived in Colchester for a time in the 80's, there was a new shopping development going up - never did see it finished, over 20 years ago now!

Keep thinking positively, and remember - it only takes one person to buy your house!

Pam :lol:

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:23 pm 
Rock Star

Hi Brian & Steph,

Sorry to hear about your foot - better get it better quickly are you only have a couple of weeks left like me.

As you well know, I have been there - very recently. Don't give up hope on the second-viewers. Ours had a house to sell too but lo and behold they ended up selling really quick.

You are lucky in a way that you already have your lovely house in Cyprus so that you can come out when you want (or are able to). It must be very frustrating though to know that there are things you want to do and get get there.

We did consider just leaving the house up for sale in the hands of the estate agents. Could you not consider this? I don't know what your circumstances are but this could be an answer if finances permit. After all, you can live cheaper in Cyprus particularly if you have no rent to pay. Just a thought.

I hope things resolve themselves quickly for you as I know exactly how you feel. See you next month?????

Best wishes to you both,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:19 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Brian

Hope you make a speedy recovery with your foot.

I agree it is a very stressful time and I can never understand why people go round viewing houses when theirs isn't even up for sale (which is what happened to us a few times).

Sometimes it does seem that the house will never sell, but you have just got to hang in there and think positive. Which I know is very hard to do.

But look at the number of us here who have been in your position at one time and here we are now.

It will happen for you and lets hope sooner rather than later.

Treat others as you want to be treated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:23 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Brian

Hope your foot gets better soon.There is a buyer out there for every house.Every onemoves up the ladder so hang tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Brian, I'm sure you will sell soon. You could always consider this option.
A friend of mine who is rather well to do had a villa for sale on the Costa Brava.It was priced at £1.4m and had been on the market for 5 months without selling.
He went for a meal with friends one night and got talking to a Spanish estate agent who told him he knew what the problem was. He advised my friend to advertise with his company and to put the price up.
He sold it within a week for £1.8m.
So there you are ! Just put the price up :shock:
True story, Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:17 pm 
Top of the pops

Gary

They do same in cyprus put price up :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:12 am 
Rock Star

Funny you should say this, as my sister did the same here in Wales. Her house had been on the market for over 2 years and her estate agents suggested a price drop to kick start it again. She said no, put the price up. She also sold within a month. Worth a thought????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:04 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks for the suggestion of putting the price up. Not as silly as it may at first sound.
I think the theory behind this strategy is that it puts the property into a different "bracket" in as much as people searching online for example will search between say 300k and 325k. Therefore if you change the price from say 315k to 340k you will start to get hits from people who are searching in the 325k to 350k range and can always accept a lower offer.
I have already changed the price downwards once and removed some of the things I was going to include in the price. ie. Hot tub. Thats coming with us now. :D This had the desired effect and generated more interest. The next change will be back up to the original asking price but not yet.
Strangely enough whilst I have been typing this I have had a call from the agent to arrange another second viewing for later today.... This one is a cash buyer.... Very strange woman though... still I won't be here to worry about who is living here... :P :D :P :D
Fingers crossed everyone....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:01 pm 
Rock Star

Got everything crossed for you Brian. Our buyers were a little strange to say the least, so maybe it is an omen. Best of luck. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:33 pm 
Rock Star

Tina Mason wrote:
Got everything crossed for you Brian. Our buyers were a little strange to say the least, so maybe it is an omen. Best of luck. :lol:

Tina, trust me, strange is the understatement of the year....
On the first viewing she was suggesting that she would knock out our very expensive, nearly new, solid wood, hand made kitchen and replace it with"NICE CLEAN WHITE MELAMINE" :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wanted to measure up the dining room to see if her snooker table would fit!!!! :? :? :?
Didn't like the utility/laundry room and wanted to know if it was possible to knock the wall down into the kitchen.

Oh and she looked like she might try to sell you a bunch of "lucky heather" if you get my drift. :lol: :wink: :lol:
Still I don't care if she knocks the house down as long as she buys it first :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:06 pm 
Junior

Brian, your story reminded me of our buyers.

Of course everyone thinks their house is nice, and everyone's taste is different. We decluttered and made it look as presentable as we possibly could. The estate agent said it was beautiful (well he would, wouldn't he?) It sold within five days so we were lucky.

After we'd been here about three weeks we spoke to our ex-neighbours. They told us there were TWO skips outside our old house, filled with curtains, blinds, cupboards from the garage, the stairs! (apparently one creaked, we didn't even notice), the shed, the electric garage door (they turned it into a room) and other stuff I can't even remember.

I can't really explain why, but we felt quite offended - until we saw the funny side. :)

But there was nothing wrong with their money, and that's what matters.

Good luck with your sale and your move.

Fiona

Post subject: Hi there
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:27 pm 

Enjoyed reading your diary, especially the part about the UK, this country has well and truly gone down the pan (i should know i am a Plumber)
My story is rather shorter, three weeks ago on a rainy sunday afternoon i looked on the net for jobs in cyprus, amazingly a job was advertised in Latchi, so i aplied. I had a immediate reply, the next week i flew to cyprus for three days, did the deal, signed the contract and start 7 March.
Cannot wait to get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Hey David, make sure you keep us informed of your move to Cyprus too !
Good Luck, my son's a plumber.
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:59 pm 
Rock Star

Oh burger.... It seems your positive thoughts may be working...
We've had an offer that is just about acceptable to us....
Just trying for that bit extra.
I know..... We're being greedy.....BUT....
Cat and mouse game as she knows she is in a good position as a cash buyer but so do we as we are ready to go with no chain.
Will know more tomorrow.
Had to have a very large Scotch to steady my nerves.
Another sleepless night.......
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I feel better for that.

A very shaky
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:08 am 
Top of the pops

Look forward to your next update brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:22 am 
Idol

Fingers and toes crossed for you Brian.

The woman may be strange but why should you care as long as she comes up with the cash!

Keep us posted!

Pam :D

Still waiting for our first viewing.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:10 am 
Rock Star

Well Brian, Tuesday is here - did you get any sleep? I bet you didn't. Keep us informed today and I hope it is good news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:15 pm 
Rock Star

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

Singing.......
We're on our way to Cyprus...We're on our way to Cyprus.... Dee Daa Daa Da.... Dee Daa Daa Da.

Yep. Letting her think on it overnight worked. Got the improved offer this morning and all agreed subject to her sending in a builder to confirm that the internal alterations she wants to do are practicable.

Just putting the finishing touches to my letter of resignation.....

How bloody good does this feel?????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:40 pm 
Top of the pops

I take it you are very excited :lol: :lol: :lol: nice one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:06 pm 
Rock Star

Frank you don't know the half of it.....
I had a very big falling out with my manager at work last year after 27 years service.
It is very sad that I now feel no allegiance whatsoever to the company that I have given the best part of my working life.
I always intended to take early retirement at 55 and I'm only just short of that so it was time to go anyway. It's just a pity that I am going with a bad taste in my mouth.

At the moment I am being playful with my resignation letter...

As a very PC company there are certain words and phrases that are guaranteed to provoke a reaction. I think I have managed to include most of them. :D
However all that will all be very quickly forgotten when I step of that plane into the sunshine at Paphos airport with the stub of a one way ticket in my hand.

Selling the house is such a relief as this now allows me start living again rather than just existing, which is all I have been doing.

I guess the next thing is to start making a list of all the things that we need to get sorted.

I think just clearing up my garage/workshop is going to take me the best part of a month...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:12 pm 
Top of the pops

Brian i guess you will be going around doing those chores with a big smile on your face.A friend of mine retired from work after 30 years and the governor never evn came down to say goodbye.

We caused such a stink he was invited back to a presentation a week later and guess what he never showed up. :lol:

You just enjoy your self and all is history with work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:21 pm 
Idol

Excellent news Brian and Steph! :hurray

You lucky people, now you can get on with the rest of your lives.

Good luck with all the sorting out and packing!

Pam :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Brian,
How sweet will it be when you are having a drink in the sun, facing west towards the UK and thinking of that manager still toiling away in dreary UK.
Better still, as you think of him, turn around, face east and drop your pants singing Up Yours ! :lol:
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Great news Brian - I can well understand how pleased you are..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Treat others as you want to be treated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:36 am 
Rock Star

:band :hurray :cheers :clap :banana :crazydance

Was trying to post this most of yesterday but my system was up & down like a yo-yo.

CONGRATULATIONS Brian & Steph. I told you it was an omen. I know exactly how excited you are. Hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:33 pm 

Nice one, you two. Fancy leaving Essex for Cyprus...whatever next??

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:29 pm 
Rock Star

Pity the Ceo wrote:
Nice one, you two. Fancy leaving Essex for Cyprus...whatever next??

Peter

Hi Peter we are going to need your services again soon. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:59 pm 

Never a problem, well pleased for you,

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:38 pm 
Rock Star

UPDATE---UPDATE---UPDATE---

Well it has certainly been a strange few weeks to say the least.
Although we haven't exchanged contracts yet it is still looking good.
We have been de-cluttering and throwing out a lot of the junk that you seem to accumulate for no good reason. Loads of stuff to charity shops, even more to the dump.
We've got a few items going to Auction on Wed. don't expect them to make us a fortune but it was a bit of fun.
The most amazing thing is the amount of paperwork you keep "just in case". The shredder has been working overtime.
My company have lived up to all expectations..... After 27+years service they haven't even had the decency to negotiate a leaving day... just taking my resignation as date of receipt my letter. The HR manageress is not known as "The Wicked Witch of the North" without duly earning the nickname.
My managers nickname is Teflon..... Why? Because nothing ever sticks to him....
Funny thing is it will be me having the last laugh as it will be me sitting in the sun with my feet in the pool sipping cold drinks while she is still being hated by all and struggling in to work on cold dark frosty mornings.

On to lighter things.... Took the dogs for their anti rabies jabs today and had them micro chipped as well. Got to go back in 30 days for the blood test to make sure all is ok and should then hopefully get their PET PASSPORT.
We have found a company who will transport both dogs from Gatwick to Paphos for £1093 sterling. This includes transport, crates and all associated costs.. Good price I thought...
The movers are coming Thursday to quote for packing and shipping.
Hope to be using Peters company again (MS Shipping) as they did such a good job last time when we moved the contents of the flat out.
I have all but packed up the loft stuff and the Garage stuff so it's just the house we want them to quote for.
The rest of this week will probably be taken up with trying to get all the various documents that we need to obtain sorted out.
I'm activating my pension early so I have all that to sort out as well.
Must remember to get medical records ordered. (that should be fun!!!)
Unfortunately I have to go back tomorrow to see the surgeon who did my foot op. It seems that the tendon has either been damaged or has adhered to the scar tissue as I cant move my second toe upwards. Not a major disaster but still a pain in the butt. (sorry foot).
Oh well back to the sorting......

TO BE CONTINUED........

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body