Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:47 pm 

Hi
Hope you can give me some info.....
Moving to Cyprus end May so will be looking for job, also so need answers to the following please;

Do I have to sign with Employment Dept soon as I arrive, or can I work for 90 days without doing this?.......any useful legal info on working please (I am UK citizen)

Can I use UK driving licence for those 90 days?..at what point would I need to change it if at all?

Any good employment agencies you girls & guys can reccommend please?

Any places to buy cheap second hand car or long term cheap retals???

Thanks in anticipation..........

Sue
x

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:11 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Sue

Welcome to Paphos People - I hope you will enjoy being a member here.

To try to answer your questions, you can continue to use your UK license if it is the new style plastic license, but I believe you have to notify DVLC in Swansea that you are moving to Cyprus so they can take your UK address from their records (or so I am led to believe).

I also believe you can work for 90 days before you need to register, although I am sure one of our younger members will be along tomorrow to confirm or deny this (it's now midnight here :lol: ). Sorry I can't answer this question myself, but I retired last year. :lol: I'm afraid second hand cars over here aren't that cheap, but the best thing to do is to keep an eye on our Cyprus classifieds section, as there are usually some cars for sale on there due to people relocating back to the UK.

You don't say what kind of job you will be looking for, in what field, so I can't really advise you there.

As I say, I'm sure our younger members will be along tomorrow to help with the employment questions, but good luck. Have a good trip over, and hopefully we will see you at one of our Taverna nights.

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 am 
Web-Site Admin

Hi Sue, and :welcome

Jean has answered most things, but as far as employment goes there are quite a lot of jobs advertised in the local papers, so they will be a decent starting point. I believe there are a couple of relatively new agencies in Paphos, but I've no personal experience of them. Really depends what sort of thing you're looking for?

Most people I know working here have found their jobs just by asking around and making contacts - it does become a lot easier once you're actually over here!

Good luck with the move!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:08 am 
Hi Susie please forgive me for being blunt but you haven't done your homework before moving here have you, let me be straight with you before I came over here I constantly browsed the Cyprus Forums for 2 years asking different questions about Cyprus, now let me just say there is a recession here just as in England if not worse, I don't know what your qualifications are but if there is a Polish / Romanian or whatever nationality they will be cheaper to employ than English. So finding work will be hard unless your a hairdresser or nail technician which seem to pop up or close down all over the place. You will not receive any benefits as you do in the UK until you have worked( lagit ) for a number of months.Ive lived here for 4 years now and this is the worst I've seen it for work . ( now 10 weeks out of work ) and I'm a qualified tradesmen . So don't be fooled thinking this is the land of plenty it isn't. Just because the sun shines most of the year round doesn't mean its paradise IT ISNT. Saying that I wish everyone the best of luck who comes here.
james
Attachment:
james cover 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body