Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving soon to Paphos
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:07 pm 

Hello, I will move to Cyprus end of September for a 3 years period. I'm retired and want to spend some years relaxing in a sunny place like Cyprus.
I am single and will rent a flat in Paphos distr. I am looking for a 2/3 beds flat, good size terrace with a nice sea view.
For the first year I will not buy a car and therefore I would like to live close to all amenities. I was thinking area like Kato Paphos.
I got the idea that Universal area is a tourist resort where is overcrowded during high season and dead during winter.
I want to live in an area where people live all year around but not far from the Harbour, and within walking distance to the beach (15/20 minutes walking).
Please give some suggestions.
I greatly appreciate if you can also suggest the best way to search for long term rentals (estate agents, local newspapers....)
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:59 pm 
Rock Star

I suggest that you book somewhere to stay for a month initially, maybe a holiday apartment perhaps?
Holiday Lettings and Owners Direct are probably the best sites - if you look 'out of season' then you could easily get a small place at a decent price.
That way you have time to explore the area a little to then see what's available.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:29 pm 

Thank you JB, I will definitely rent an holiday small flat for a short period but .....one month?! I thought 3 weeks were enough to find a permanent accommodation. Do I have to expect a shortage of property for rent on the market? Actually, on my search on internet I didn't find a great choice of properties for rent in Kato Paphos and area nearby. My budget is from Euro 450 up to Euro 650, furnished, or part furnished or unfurnished, but the flat must be a good one in a nice area. Do I ask too much?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:40 pm 
Forum Admin

Ylat wrote:
Thank you JB, I will definitely rent an holiday small flat for a short period but .....one month?! I thought 3 weeks were enough to find a permanent accommodation. Do I have to expect a shortage of property for rent on the market? Actually, on my search on internet I didn't find a great choice of properties for rent in Kato Paphos and area nearby. My budget is from Euro 450 up to Euro 650, furnished, or part furnished or unfurnished, but the flat must be a good one in a nice area. Do I ask too much?

your prices are fine , could get a hotel room on a daily basis for around 20 euro per day , then take it from there
I would not worry about a shortage lots of places are empty .

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:51 pm 

Thanks Neil, very useful info.
I will not bring furniture with me and because, during my search on line, I don't see nicely furnished flats, I would prefer to rent an unfurnished one and buy some simple furniture at Ikea in Nicosia and ask for delivery at Paphos. Will it be too expensive the delivery? Anyone have done that?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:55 am 
Regular

I wouldn't place too much store by what you're seeing on line. When you're here you will find heaps of property available to rent - some of very poor standard, and some beautifully furnished apartments and houses. You have to be prepared to put the footwork in and view as many as possible before coming to a decision. Even if you don't want to buy a car, it would be a good idea to rent one for a couple of weeks so you can get to know different areas better. Whilst driving around you will see many properties with signs/banners outside stating "for rent" with a phone number. These don't usually show up on the Internet. Your budget is fine.

"I want to live in an area where people live all year around but not far from the Harbour, and within walking distance to the beach (15/20 minutes walking)."
Because this is where tourists want to be based on holiday, it's where you find the fewest permanent residents, and less of a community feel. IME it's where you think you want to live when you're planning the move, probably because it's where you are most familiar with, but the last place you want to live when you're actually here full time.
Keep an open mind and see what you find when you're in situ.
Good luck,
Trisha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:37 pm 

Thank you Trisha for the most comprehensive reply.
I will definitely follow all of your suggestions and I will also rent a car and look for "to Rent" signs.
At the same time I will contact some Estate Agents, can anybody suggest some reliable ones in Paphos?
Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:49 pm 
Rock Star

Just remember that
a) you will probably get a better deal without an agent - less commission!
b) the laws regarding rentals are fairly inconspicuous in CY, so don't part with too much money on a 'promise' till you are sure it will be kept!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:30 pm 
Master

Some friends of ours stayed at Crystallo apartments in Kato Paphos (just along from Kings Avenue Mall so it's within easy walking distance of the harbour). They stayed there until they found a long term villa to rent in Tala.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/cy/crystal ... en-gb.html

Property rental agents I can recommend:

http://www.smartrentzcyprus.com/

http://www.paphospropertycyprus.com/ForRent.aspx

http://www.mrrent-paphos.net/

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body