Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: moving to cyprus
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:47 pm 

Hi everyone my husband and i are planning on moving over to Cyprus asap if anyone as any advice on which is best way to go about finding jobs i.e is it best to actually come out there or to look online?.

My husband is actually going out there on the 19th September to Peyia near paphos to look for a job in kitchen hygiene i have done electrical assembling and shop work if anyone knows of any companies that do that kind of work or similar we would be grateful of any feedback anyone can give us.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: moving to cyprus
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:16 pm 
Top of the pops

These questions have been answered a number of times before so you may want to look through previous threads in this section.
Some key points:
1. The best, possibly only, way to find jobs is to visit in person. Don't bother to phone or email.
2. There is significant unemployment here so work on the basis that it could be some time (many months) before you find anything. So bring finance to keep you going for at least a year.
3. I don't know of any electrical assembling companies in the area. If there are any they will likely want you to be fluent in Greek.
4. Shop work will also need you to speak Greek unless you work in a shop that services the British population. There aren't many of these and there are lots of people chasing vacant positions. Tourist shops and bars etc want English/Russian speakers.
5. Shop and kitchen wages are low, very low. If you can get 5 euros an hour you are doing well. Three euros is not unusual.

Research, research and research some more before committing yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:26 pm 

The only company I know which does electrical assembling is called Black Box and they are based in Limassol area. I think they do the electrical circuits for Landrover vehicles.

My advice would be to think twice about committing yourself to looking for work in an area that's dedicated to tourism. Better to look towards Limassol, Larnaca or Nicosia where mainstream offices exist and run 52 weeks a year.

We've been here over 11yrs (since March 2004) and I've only had 3 weeks where I wasn't working for an employer and in those weeks I sourced my own income. But we're in Limassol, in a rented house - the same property we started out in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:12 pm 
Top of the pops

Josef K wrote:
These questions have been answered a number of times before so you may want to look through previous threads in this section.
Some key points:
1. The best, possibly only, way to find jobs is to visit in person. Don't bother to phone or email.
2. There is significant unemployment here so work on the basis that it could be some time (many months) before you find anything. So bring finance to keep you going for at least a year.
3. I don't know of any electrical assembling companies in the area. If there are any they will likely want you to be fluent in Greek.
4. Shop work will also need you to speak Greek unless you work in a shop that services the British population. There aren't many of these and there are lots of people chasing vacant positions. Tourist shops and bars etc want English/Russian speakers.
5. Shop and kitchen wages are low, very low. If you can get 5 euros an hour you are doing well. Three euros is not unusual.

Research, research and research some more before committing yourself.

Joseph you are far too positive - :rain
Julie - if you have to work, leave it a couple of years, things may improve. :shock:
Kitchen hygiene jobs, if such a thing even exists out here, the job will go to a Greek speaking second cousin.
kitchen hygiene is a long story out here - basically the Cyps are brought up with good hygiene and food poisoning is very rare - jobs in this field probably don't exist (although they may be advertised to keep government happy).
Electronic component assembly - non existent in this area.
Wages below £4 an hour - if you get paid at all.
You need to speak good Athens Greek
You need to understand village Greek (almost another language)
You also need good Russian and Chinese would be a bonus.
All the above to be considered for a shop job.

I am very negative because I would rather ruin your dream now before you have to limp home to UK disillusioned and broke. Cyprus is good for the retired and a very few with special skils, even then they have to work for a tiny persentage of what they would earn in UK.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
Joseph you are far too positive

Yes, I know. It's a curse.

On a side point, I know of some businesses that won't employ young Brits because they don't have the work ethic. They prefer Bulgarians and other Eastern Europeans. This makes it even harder to get a job.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body