Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 pm 

Hi everyone, :bearhug

My partner and I are moving over to Paphos on the 9th September and I would be grateful for any bits of advice with the things I list below?!

*We are still waiting to hear back from a few apartments that we have seen for long term rent, am I best getting in contact with them in the next week or so? If anyone has or knows of any more apartments for long term rent, please let me know :-)
*Do they usually take payments (the deposit and first month) online/by phone or is this sorted in person?!
*I have asked about and sent my CV to a few hotels etc, as I would like to get a hotel job/bar job. I know Paphos during this season is understandably a bit quiet but if anyone knows of any jobs going I would be happy to send over my CV or have a Skype interview :-)
*Where are the best bars for gigs? As my partner plays guitar and sings, or where are the best busking places?

* What is the deal with the 'yellow slip' and how did everyone go about it?

There will be thousands of more questions but if someone could help with the above ones that would be brilliant!
See you all soon!
Misha and Jay x

#1 Best Seller of All You Have To Do Is Choose

Time for an adventure :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Sorry, don't know about renting.

As to bar jobs, there are lots about at around 3 to 5 euros an hour if they are on an hourly rate. However, many are on a monthly salary and overtime at no additional salary is often expected in bars when the customers just won't go home. The fly in the ointment is that although many bars will accept you if you don't speak Greek, they may well want you to speak English and Russian.
I suggest you forget CVs as they rarely get further than the bin. The way to get a job is to walk in and ask for one.

The law requires you to have a yellow slip if you are going to stay for more than 3 or 4 months (can't remember which). When you get here go up to immigration with your passports and get an appointment. It will be a couple of months ahead which will give you time to get your papers together. When you make the appointment they will give you a form and a list of requirements in terms of papers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:35 pm 
Regular

As with jobs, the best way to find a long term let is when you get here.
I would arrange holiday type accommodation for the first couple of weeks, and make contact with letting agents on arrival. If you know what area(s) you want to live in, it's a good idea to drive around as you'll see many "for rent" banners on individual properties. Time consuming, but often lower rents as they are handled by individuals rather than companies.
Good luck!
Trisha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:41 pm 

We came out and spent a week looking at rental properties 2 months before our planned arrival. We trawled the agents and the Cyprus local papers in English and in Greek. We started looking at properties on Thursday after we arrived Wednesday afternoon and eventually found one on Saturday afternoon.

That was 11 and a half years ago and we're still in the very same rental property as I type this.

Don't expect agents to reply regarding rentals for months ahead as they disappear very quickly. Much better to come and look so do as has been said, either book a holiday apartment for a couple of weeks or do as we did and come out a few weeks before your arrival and make an informed choice by seeing them in the flesh!

As for jobs, again - nobody will offer you a job without you being here in Cyprus. You may find you apply for a job and hear absolutely nothing then will receive a phone call out of the blue wanting to see you the same or very next day and expecting you to start work immediately ;)

After all, this is Cyprus so be prepared to expect the unexpected!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:08 am 
Rock Star

I suggest that you go on http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ or a similar site and find a small (cheap?) place for a couple of weeks whilst you find your ideal place.
Much better than renting somewhere without seeing it properly at least twice!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:13 am 
Rock Star

Quote:

My partner and I are moving over to Paphos on the 9th September and I would be grateful for any bits of advice with the things I list below?!

It doesn't sound to me like you have even visited Cyprus before, yet you want to move out here.
I would strongly suggest you come for a holiday/exploratory excursion BEFORE committing to a move, so you at least have some idea of the situation here.
Please understand that this is not a place where the state will support you if you fail to get work.
Expats here have established some 'food stations' for those people (including nationals), that cannot afford to buy food for themselves - the 'state' (as far as I am aware) have done little if anything to help.
There are currently many musicians on the Island, so competition with those more experienced, with an established client base is fierce.
You are intending to arrive at the end of the tourist season, so work opportunities are reducing.
The dream you have could so easily become a nightmare, unless you come prepared!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:29 pm 

Unless you can surport yourselfs forget it this is not a land to make your dreams jobs in bars hotels no wage live in and work 50 hours a week 7 days or if luckey 3 euros a hour 2,500 people out of work in place smaller than yorkshire if you are retired and have a nice pension then that is diffrent if you do come I would say you will be back home in 6 weeks think if you are ill unable to work no N H ? good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:46 pm 

Topgun wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't sound to me like you have even visited Cyprus before, yet you want to move out here.
I would strongly suggest you come for a holiday/exploratory excursion BEFORE committing to a move, so you at least have some idea of the situation here.
Please understand that this is not a place where the state will support you if you fail to get work.
Expats here have established some 'food stations' for those people (including nationals), that cannot afford to buy food for themselves - the 'state' (as far as I am aware) have done little if anything to help.
There are currently many musicians on the Island, so competition with those more experienced, with an established client base is fierce.
You are intending to arrive at the end of the tourist season, so work opportunities are reducing.
The dream you have could so easily become a nightmare, unless you come prepared!

Hi there, said partner here. (Jay)

I already earn my wage no matter where we are living so there is no dying pressure for work. I have visited Cyprus personally but Misha has not which is one of the reasons she wants to jump in. Its an exciting experience and the money will be there to feed us etc for as long as she needs to find work.

Kind Regards
J D Gray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:49 pm 

NEIL SMITH wrote:
Unless you can surport yourselfs forget it this is not a land to make your dreams jobs in bars hotels no wage live in and work 50 hours a week 7 days or if luckey 3 euros a hour 2,500 people out of work in place smaller than yorkshire if you are retired and have a nice pension then that is diffrent if you do come I would say you will be back home in 6 weeks think if you are ill unable to work no N H ? good luck

Hi Neil, Misha's partner here.

Thank you for your response but through personal experience I know this not to be true. Live in work without any wage is now very uncommon thankfully however, even if this was the case it is no dying concern for work to be found because I earn my income regardless of where we are so I guess you could call that a young persons pension anyway!

We will be flying on the 9th and will keep you all informed of what happens!

As to the other responses regarding waiting to find work etc when we land, thank you very much!

J D Gray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:57 pm 
Junior

Hi Jay and Misha,
Please don't feel deflated by some of the comments, I truly believe that people on here are just attempting some honest and healthy guidance.

From our own experience we are in Cyprus part-time. We have two properties in the UK both without mortgages, one we rent out and the other we live in. Our rented home generates 1800 Sterling per month and you would think that would be enough to " live the life " in Cyprus, but actually it does not.

You don't state where your from, so I'm assuming it's the UK. Are you selling up or renting out your UK property? You have stated you have an income, without needing to work and that will therefore help you live within a budget. We are both in our early 40's and truly believed we could afford to live in Cyprus, but it's not to be just yet!

Good luck on your adventure and I truly hope that Cyprus brings you much happiness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:08 pm 

Kell71 wrote:
Hi Jay and Misha,
Please don't feel deflated by some of the comments, I truly believe that people on here are just attempting some honest and healthy guidance.

From our own experience we are in Cyprus part-time. We have two properties in the UK both without mortgages, one we rent out and the other we live in. Our rented home generates 1800 Sterling per month and you would think that would be enough to " live the life " in Cyprus, but actually it does not.

You don't state where your from, so I'm assuming it's the UK. Are you selling up or renting out your UK property? You have stated you have an income, without needing to work and that will therefore help you live within a budget. We are both in our early 40's and truly believed we could afford to live in Cyprus, but it's not to be just yet!

Good luck on your adventure and I truly hope that Cyprus brings you much happiness.

Hi there! Thank you for the response! That's great news that you have two properties here in the UK to add to your funding to live under the sun :D

Thankfully (or maybe not) we don't have a property here in the UK that needs selling or renting, its just time to explore some of the world! I am an author so my income remains much the same whether I am sat in the UK, the states, Cyprus, it really doesn't matter! We have no desire to live the high life at the moment, just want to meet some cool people, see some new sites and explore new cultures whilst keeping a roof over our heads and food in our bellies that's all we need right now! No children or huge financial ties to worry about so regardless of the outcome I am sure it will be a great adventure! :D

Thanks again.

J D Gray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:15 pm 
Junior

jaygray wrote:
Kell71 wrote:
Hi Jay and Misha,

Hi there! Thank you for the response! That's great news that you have two properties here in the UK to add to your funding to live under the sun :D

Thankfully (or maybe not) we don't have a property here in the UK that needs selling or renting, its just time to explore some of the world! I am an author so my income remains much the same whether I am sat in the UK, the states, Cyprus, it really doesn't matter! We have no desire to live the high life at the moment, just want to meet some cool people, see some new sites and explore new cultures whilst keeping a roof over our heads and food in our bellies that's all we need right now! No children or huge financial ties to worry about so regardless of the outcome I am sure it will be a great adventure! :D

Thanks again

J D Gray

Sounds like you have the absolute perfect mentality.. Equally sounds fun! Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:21 pm 

Kell71 wrote:
jaygray wrote:
Kell71 wrote:
Hi Jay and Misha,

Thanks again

J D Gray

Sounds like you have the absolute perfect mentality.. Equally sounds fun! Good luck.

Thanks Kelly! We shall keep you all updated!!

J D Gray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:54 pm 

Hi Misha and Jay

I really hope your new adventure works out for you. You seem to have exactly the right attitude so I'm sure you'll love your new life in Cyprus.

We moved here from the UK just over a year ago and I can honestly say we haven't regretted it for a minute. We are in our mid fifties (although I still think I'm 19!) and although our monthly income is nowhere near £1800 we still manage to enjoy a good life here in Paphos.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I know we were so grateful for the support snd advice we received when we arrived here.

Good luck!

Diane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:47 pm 

Di B wrote:
Hi Misha and Jay

I really hope your new adventure works out for you. You seem to have exactly the right attitude so I'm sure you'll love your new life in Cyprus.

We moved here from the UK just over a year ago and I can honestly say we haven't regretted it for a minute. We are in our mid fifties (although I still think I'm 19!) and although our monthly income is nowhere near £1800 we still manage to enjoy a good life here in Paphos.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I know we were so grateful for the support snd advice we received when we arrived here.

Good luck!

Diane

Very kind of you Diane! I think our mindset just makes things fun! I like to go with the wind, never say never etc and it has been a lot of fun for me so far! You sound like the opposite of me! I am 23 but feel like I am mid fifties sometimes :P

Misha should be home from work shortly so we will send you a direct message with no doubt something close to a thousand questions!

Thanks again!

J D Gray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:03 pm 
Regular

Jay, I'm really being nosy now.
Genuine post or a lead to Kindle?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:13 pm 

I don't think I am allowed to post a link but if you email me at [email protected] I am more than happy to send one!

J D Gray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:02 pm 

LOL at £1800 sterling a month and still not enough to live the life :crylaughin

2,500 EUR at the current exchange rate :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:36 pm 
Junior

CypruswithBabies wrote:
LOL at £1800 sterling a month and still not enough to live the life :crylaughin

2,500 EUR at the current exchange rate :roll:

Why LOl?
We all have different standards of living and clearly mine is different to yours.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:20 pm 

Quite obviously.... but the remark just made me laugh out loud when offering advice to someone who is looking for info on finding accommodation and a job :-/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 pm 
Junior

i wasn't giving you any advice, so I'm unsure why you thought to LOl at my post. I will in future PM on this site.. Unfriendly crew!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:37 pm 
Top of the pops

I don't think anyone is being unfriendly. I think they were surprised at your statement, and chose to treat it in a light-hearted manner rather than an unfriendly one. I have to say I am amongst the surprised ones and wish I had such an income. You will be able to live a good life here with that, but I am at a loss as to why you would be considering the drudgery of bar work in your circumstances. Still, people are people and if that is what you want to do then good luck to you.

As to this forum, sometimes we will disagree, sometimes we will tease, sometimes we will be surprised, sometimes we will give you advice you don't want to hear. But it is very rare that we are unfriendly. Stick with us.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:46 pm 

I like it here! It seems fun! However things that would 'worry' many people don't fuss me too much! I like to go with the wind and play with problems. It's a lot of fun and if any of you are not seeing problems as a positive, have a quick mindset change and life becomes one big game with a whole load of love, laughter and opportunity! :D

J D Gray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:43 pm 
Junior

Josef K wrote:
I don't think anyone is being unfriendly. I think they were surprised at your statement, and chose to treat it in a light-hearted manner rather than an unfriendly one. I have to say I am amongst the surprised ones and wish I had such an income. You will be able to live a good life here with that, but I am at a loss as to why you would be considering the drudgery of bar work in your circumstances. Still, people are people and if that is what you want to do then good luck to you.

As to this forum, sometimes we will disagree, sometimes we will tease, sometimes we will be surprised, sometimes we will give you advice you don't want to hear. But it is very rare that we are unfriendly. Stick with us.

Hi Josef,

I think there has been some confusion. It's not me that is looking for a job!
I responded to Jay and Mishas thread regarding moving out here full time. I discussed my own experiences and another member laughed at my statement. I was simply making the point regarding expectations. For us, no, we can't live the life we want full time in Cyprus and I'm still baffled as to why it was found funny.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 pm 

Hi everyone!

I'm just intrigued to finding out how far Peyia is to Kato Paphos as a rough guide? Is it in walking distance?

Misha :grin: :sunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Kato Paphos is a long way from Peyia..........and NOT in walking distance.....unless you like Marathons......

people usually need a car who live in Peyia to get around

Last edited by migmogs on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:26 pm 

Thanks guys! Found an apartment in Kato Paphos now so we will hopefully see you all soon!

:sunny :celeb2

Misha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Kell71 wrote:
Josef K wrote:

Hi Josef,

I think there has been some confusion. It's not me that is looking for a job!
I responded to Jay and Mishas thread regarding moving out here full time. I discussed my own experiences and another member laughed at my statement. I was simply making the point regarding expectations. For us, no, we can't live the life we want full time in Cyprus and I'm still baffled as to why it was found funny.

Sorry, it's my age you know. :oops:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body